Linksys router with westell DSL modem problems

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 30, 2004 12:27:29 AM

I recently got a DSL line and decided to add a router for
firewall/security.
I have a Westell 6100 DSL modem and now a Linksys BEFSX41 router.

The problem I am having is that I can't access certian webpages that I
need to access. Specifically I can't access windows update and Most
online banking pages. I can access some secure "https" site but
others I can't reach at all.
Most web pages load fine.

I have googled search strings for hours and can't find anything that
helps.

Does anybody know what the problem is? How does one go about
troubleshooting this sort of problem?

Thanks
July 30, 2004 11:41:05 AM

Additionally, If I connect directly to the DSL modem everything works fine.
It's just when I hook up the router that I loose connection to some websites.

sparks691@centurytel.net (BDS) wrote in message news:<2c55ac5e.0407291927.7d69918b@posting.google.com>...
> I recently got a DSL line and decided to add a router for
> firewall/security.
> I have a Westell 6100 DSL modem and now a Linksys BEFSX41 router.
>
> The problem I am having is that I can't access certian webpages that I
> need to access. Specifically I can't access windows update and Most
> online banking pages. I can access some secure "https" site but
> others I can't reach at all.
> Most web pages load fine.
>
> I have googled search strings for hours and can't find anything that
> helps.
>
> Does anybody know what the problem is? How does one go about
> troubleshooting this sort of problem?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 30, 2004 1:41:54 PM

"BDS" <sparks691@centurytel.net> wrote in message
> I recently got a DSL line and decided to add a router for
> firewall/security.
> I have a Westell 6100 DSL modem and now a Linksys BEFSX41 router.
>
> The problem I am having is that I can't access certian webpages that I
> need to access. Specifically I can't access windows update and Most
> online banking pages. I can access some secure "https" site but
> others I can't reach at all.
> Most web pages load fine.
>
> I have googled search strings for hours and can't find anything that
> helps.
>
> Does anybody know what the problem is? How does one go about
> troubleshooting this sort of problem?
>
> Thanks
Are you sure the 6100 is operating in "modem" or "bridge" mode instead of
router mode, which is probably default.
You can tell by where you enter the username/passwd. If it is in the 6100,
it is router, and you are doing double NATing.
If in the Linksys you are setup properly, and should be OK. How did you
setup the Linksys - just default out of the box? Then it is probab running
DHCP to the 6100 and you are double NAting.
See this page for some help.
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6323
J--
www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.
....You spend your whole life figuring out what you should have done with it,
let alone what it was all about. And then your children get to do it all
over again..
July 30, 2004 10:20:07 PM

So I setup the modem to work in bridge mode and disabled dhcp but I
am still having problems. Windows update gets all the way to the
download step and hangs there. I can get to my online banking through
quicken but not through the secure webpage.

The FAQ page from the previous post was helpful but the web interface
of my modem is very different from the one listed there and I can't be
sure if I got everything the same.

!