Need suggestion for a video card

I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).

My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.

I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
be specific.

TIA
8 answers Last reply
More about need suggestion video card

    For something cheap a Matrox G550 (32MB memory) or ATI 9200 (128MB memory)
    Or a higher end Matrox G650 ($150)

    <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
    > And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
    >
    > My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
    > and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
    >
    > I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
    > video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
    > be specific.
    >
    > TIA

    A card based on ATI Radeon 9200SE would completely satisfy your needs. It's
    cheaper than ATI Radeon 9200.

    "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > For something cheap a Matrox G550 (32MB memory) or ATI 9200 (128MB memory)
    > Or a higher end Matrox G650 ($150)
    >
    > <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
    >> And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
    >>
    >> My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
    >> and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
    >>
    >> I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
    >> video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
    >> be specific.
    >>
    >> TIA

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<PNTrd.127856$V41.30362@attbi_s52>...
    > For something cheap a Matrox G550 (32MB memory) or ATI 9200 (128MB memory)
    > Or a higher end Matrox G650 ($150)

    I noted that Matrox G550, ATI 9200/SE are all AGP cards. My computer
    does not have an AGP slot. Would these cards work in my PC?

    TIA

    > <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
    > > And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
    > >
    > > My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
    > > and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
    > >
    > > I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
    > > video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
    > > be specific.
    > >
    > > TIA

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Are there cheaper cards that will handle dual monitors?

    TIA
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    0b3hks001@sneakemail.com wrote:

    > Are there cheaper cards that will handle dual monitors?

    Go to <http://www.newegg.com>. Pick "All Products" then in the "Shop for"
    list "Video Cards", then under "interface" whatever interface you need and
    under "Ports-Standard" and Ports-DVI" whatever combo you need (1 of each
    will probably find you the cheapest board but try it all three ways). As
    an example, you can get a Powercolor Radeon 7000 PCI with one VGA and one
    DVI port for $39.50 and shipping.

    Newegg's listings are not comprehensive but they do carry a pretty good
    range.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    Matrox G450 PCI Dualhead
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/selector/millg450_pci.cfm

    > "Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> For something cheap a Matrox G550 (32MB memory) or ATI 9200 (128MB
    >> memory)
    >> Or a higher end Matrox G650 ($150)
    >
    > I noted that Matrox G550, ATI 9200/SE are all AGP cards. My computer
    > does not have an AGP slot. Would these cards work in my PC?
    >
    > TIA
    >

    >> <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
    >> >I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
    >> > And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
    >> >
    >> > My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
    >> > and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
    >> >
    >> > I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
    >> > video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
    >> > be specific.
    >> >
    >> > TIA

  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Do a search for dual head PCI cards on www.ebay.com

    > Are there cheaper cards that will handle dual monitors?
    >
    > TIA

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    On 2 Dec 2004 21:29:57 -0800, 0b3hks001@sneakemail.com wrote:

    >I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
    >And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
    >
    >My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
    >and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
    >
    >I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
    >video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
    >be specific.

    You do not need a dual monitor card. All you need is a simple,
    inexpensive PCI video card. Then use *both* your current integrated
    video and the add-in PCI card. I have done this with systems with
    Intel integrated video and it works fine. Just buy something like a
    GeForce 4 MX 200 PCI card. You should be able to pick up one used for
    next to nothing on eBay.

    - -
    Gary L.
    Reply to the newsgroup only