Need suggestion for a video card

I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).

My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.

I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
be specific.

TIA

For something cheap a Matrox G550 (32MB memory) or ATI 9200 (128MB memory)
Or a higher end Matrox G650 ($150)

<0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
> And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
>
> My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
> and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
>
> I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
> video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
> be specific.
>
> TIA

A card based on ATI Radeon 9200SE would completely satisfy your needs. It's
cheaper than ATI Radeon 9200.

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message
> For something cheap a Matrox G550 (32MB memory) or ATI 9200 (128MB memory)
> Or a higher end Matrox G650 ($150)
>
> <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
>> And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
>>
>> My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
>> and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
>>
>> I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
>> video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
>> be specific.
>>
>> TIA

"Tod" <no_spam_me@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<PNTrd.127856$V41.30362@attbi_s52>...
> For something cheap a Matrox G550 (32MB memory) or ATI 9200 (128MB memory)
> Or a higher end Matrox G650 ($150)

I noted that Matrox G550, ATI 9200/SE are all AGP cards. My computer
does not have an AGP slot. Would these cards work in my PC?

TIA

> <0b3hks001@sneakemail.com> wrote in message
> >I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
> > And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
> >
> > My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
> > and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
> >
> > I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
> > video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
> > be specific.
> >
> > TIA

Are there cheaper cards that will handle dual monitors?

TIA

0b3hks001@sneakemail.com wrote:

> Are there cheaper cards that will handle dual monitors?

Go to <http://www.newegg.com>. Pick "All Products" then in the "Shop for"
list "Video Cards", then under "interface" whatever interface you need and
under "Ports-Standard" and Ports-DVI" whatever combo you need (1 of each
will probably find you the cheapest board but try it all three ways). As
an example, you can get a Powercolor Radeon 7000 PCI with one VGA and one
DVI port for $39.50 and shipping.

Newegg's listings are not comprehensive but they do carry a pretty good
range.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Matrox G450 PCI Dualhead
http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/selector/millg450_pci.cfm

Do a search for dual head PCI cards on www.ebay.com

On 2 Dec 2004 21:29:57 -0800, 0b3hks001@sneakemail.com wrote:

>I have a Dell 2400 -- 2.2GHz, with WinXP-Home edition, WITHOUT AGP.
>And I have two 17" CRTs (Sony and Viewsonic).
>
>My applications are just spreadsheets, word processing, web browsers
>and email -- no graphic intensive programs nor games.
>
>I want to use my 2 monitors with WinXP's dual monitor feature. What
>video card do I need? I don't know much about video cards, so please
>be specific.

You do not need a dual monitor card. All you need is a simple,
inexpensive PCI video card. Then use *both* your current integrated
video and the add-in PCI card. I have done this with systems with
Intel integrated video and it works fine. Just buy something like a
GeForce 4 MX 200 PCI card. You should be able to pick up one used for
next to nothing on eBay.

- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only