Zonealarm & 'Server Access'

I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English - What
the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program control.

It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs Server
access status or not.

Ron O'Brien

Dak

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2003

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:40:16 GMT, "Ron O'Brien" <ron@castcall.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English - What
>the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program control.

A "server" listens, waiting for something/someone to contact it. You give a
program server rights/access and you open a hole up in your firewall to allow
something/someone to contact it. The port it listens on is no longer
closed/stealthed, it is wide open.
Unless you have a specific reason for allowing others to access your computer
(I'm not talking about them sitting at your keyboard) then you don't need to
allow server rights/access for anything.

>It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs Server
>access status or not.

It can, and eventually will. Deny server rights/access for everything, unless
a program specifically needs it and you are aware why it does.

--
dak

"dak" <comp-security-firewalls@spamtrap.cjb.net> wrote in message news:ifokg0dgj2sj2tnrrftjlf034ihsvse87v@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:40:16 GMT, "Ron O'Brien" <ron@castcall.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English - What
> >the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program control.
>
> A "server" listens, waiting for something/someone to contact it. You give a
> program server rights/access and you open a hole up in your firewall to allow
> something/someone to contact it. The port it listens on is no longer
> closed/stealthed, it is wide open.
> Unless you have a specific reason for allowing others to access your computer
> (I'm not talking about them sitting at your keyboard) then you don't need to
> allow server rights/access for anything.
>
> >It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs Server
> >access status or not.
>
> It can, and eventually will. Deny server rights/access for everything, unless
> a program specifically needs it and you are aware why it does.
>
> --
> dak

I agree wholeheartedly. In particular, Windows XP includes SvcHosts.exe and it asks for server rights automatically. Other programs use SvcHosts.exe to access the internet so not granting server rights is important.

hi ron,

i think there is a difference in the access status. a service on your
machine is avalible from the outside if you give the programm a server
access. if you don't give it an access it couldn't.

yours richard

"Ron O'Brien" <ron@castcall.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English -
What
> the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program control.
>
> It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs
Server
> access status or not.
>

> Ron O'Brien

Mike

Splendid

Ron O'Brien wrote:

> I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English - What
> the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program control.
>
> It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs Server
> access status or not.
>

> Ron O'Brien

No offence, but this is a prime example of why software firewalls will
never be truly effective.

--

------------------------------------

Real email to mike. The header email is a spam trap and you will be
blacklisted,
submitted to anti-spam sites and proably burn in hell.

Mike <honey@michaelmoyse.co.uk> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the
bumtube of the newstwat in news:cee2vj$6uo$1@thorium.cix.co.uk:

> Ron O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English
>> - What the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program
>> control.
>>
>> It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs
>> Server access status or not.
>>

>> Ron O'Brien
>>

> No offence, but this is a prime example of why software firewalls will
> never be truly effective.

I think your point is that they would never be effective in the wrong
hands.

In the right hands, however - and by that I mean someone who respects the
power of their machine to sufficiently protect it - a software firewall is
adequate to deal with most threats.

--
*********************************
> David Qunt

Erik

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:10:59 +0100, the right honourable Mike
<honey@michaelmoyse.co.uk> wrote:

>Ron O'Brien wrote:
>
>> I'm not a Firewall 'techie' so would like to know - in plain English - What
>> the 'Server Access' is all about in Zonealarm's program control.
>>
>> It doesn't seem to make any difference whether or not I give programs Server
>> access status or not.
>>

>> Ron O'Brien
>>

>No offence, but this is a prime example of why software firewalls will
>never be truly effective.

define "effective" plze.
define "truly" plze.

fr gr