Monitor going pink every once in awhile. Is it toast?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Hardware
  • Video
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 4, 2004 8:32:40 PM

Hi all,

I've got an older NEC MultiSync A500 monitor that I'm still using. I
was hoping I'd make it till the Summer before buying a new monitor,
however, today I've noticed a problem starting to happen.

The monitor will get a pinkish tinge to it ever so often. It doesn't
last very long, and the graphics themselves still look fine. Its just
the slight color shift.

What do people think? Is my monitor starting to go?

Robert

More about : monitor pink awhile toast

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
December 5, 2004 11:15:05 AM

Robert:
You may be loosing one of the colors.
The next time it happens I would try:
1. Slap the side of the case hard with your open hand.
If the colors come back properly, you probably have a bad
solder connection, usually on the CRT neck board.
2. Try bending the video cable, especially near the end where
it connects to the computer. If the colors come back, you
probably have an intermittant break in the video color wires.
You can purchase a new 15 pin HD connector at Radio Shack and
solder it to the wires, after cutting about 6" off the cable.
You might want to download a monitor color test program from the
web and see if actually one of the colors is missing.
Hope this helps...
John
December 5, 2004 8:56:39 PM

"John Gill" <jdgill@juno.com> wrote in message
> You might want to download a monitor color test program from the
> web and see if actually one of the colors is missing.
> Hope this helps...
> John

Robert,
There is a very good video test suite available for free. Search for the
Nokia Monitor Utility.

Kev
Related resources
July 28, 2009 5:19:38 PM

i have a pink screen too and would like to know how to get rid of it.....where do i download it from? thanks
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2009 5:35:46 PM

My monitor went strange colours all the time when it was a CTR and had a bad vga cable.. you know, 5 years ago, when this thread was started...

/facepalm
!