GeForce FX 5500 or 5700?

I currently own a nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400 card, and I just saw a GeForce FX
5500 for a fairly low price, and an FX 5700 LE for a few more dollars. Is
there a huge difference between the 5500 and the 5700 LE? Will I see the
difference as compared to my old GeFroce 2 MX 400? Thanks!

Forgot to mention my old card had 64 Mb RAM and the 2 others had 128 Mb.

> Forgot to mention my old card had 64 Mb RAM and the 2 others had 128 Mb.
>
> "Ampersand" <ampersand@yourbestfriend.com> wrote in message
> > I currently own a nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400 card, and I just saw a GeForce
> FX
> > 5500 for a fairly low price, and an FX 5700 LE for a few more dollars.
Is
> > there a huge difference between the 5500 and the 5700 LE?

Make sure the card you're looking to buy has 128-bit memory, not 64-bit,
otherwise it will be slow as frozen poo...as for price difference, the 5500
and 5700 LE are right in the same ballpark (www.newegg.com as a reference).
I'd get the 128-bit version of the 5700 LE with 256 megs if the choice of
the two were mine...a bit better AA and aniso on the 5700s...

Will I see the
> > difference as compared to my old GeFroce 2 MX 400? Thanks!

That 5700 LE ain't much to write home about as far as low-midrange hardware
goes, but if overclocked a little, it can make up for its shortcomings by a
good amount (for what it is...). As for speed, it's close to a GF4 4200
(until it's overclocked a little ;-) ). There is a noticeable difference in
both image quality and speed over a GF2 MX-400. $80-100 worth? You be Da
Judge. My vote is yea, but I'd prolly spend a little more an' get a Radeon
9600XT which brings better DX9 and faster AA to the plate among other
things, or do what I'm doing now, which is waiting for the AGP 6600s and
6800s to drop prices...

Hey I recently movied from ATI AIW 9600 (128 MB Ram) to the Geforce
5700 LE (256 MB Ram) and I love the new card. Yeah ya'll are right as
far as OCing though. If it were slightly OCed then you would get
siginacated performance. I hated the 9600 because of the lack of ram
that it had. I bought it recently because I was playing NFSU2 on less
than nothing graphics with the 9600 but when I moved to the 5700 LE I
noticed a big difference. I could crank everything all the way up w/o
losing frames per second. I love this new card but I'm waiting for
NVidia to come out with a 6800 ultra PCI-X card so I can really play
some games.

Rob

5700LE is pretty inexpensive too, I was just looking at one for my son's
computer, you like it that much? Newegg has one for less than 90 bucks.
Right now he has an OLD Radeon All-in-Wonder, (the very first model
produced, I paid a BUNCH of money for that thing when I bought it, about 400
bucks as I recall, and now you say a 89 dollar card will STOMP it?) If so I
will definately pick one up, as game playing is his big complaint.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks
Bitsbucket
<hotcoolguy19@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey I recently movied from ATI AIW 9600 (128 MB Ram) to the Geforce
> 5700 LE (256 MB Ram) and I love the new card. Yeah ya'll are right as
> far as OCing though. If it were slightly OCed then you would get
> siginacated performance. I hated the 9600 because of the lack of ram
> that it had. I bought it recently because I was playing NFSU2 on less
> than nothing graphics with the 9600 but when I moved to the 5700 LE I
> noticed a big difference. I could crank everything all the way up w/o
> losing frames per second. I love this new card but I'm waiting for
> NVidia to come out with a 6800 ultra PCI-X card so I can really play
> some games.
>
> Rob

---

"Bitsbucket" <userofthenet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 5700LE is pretty inexpensive too, I was just looking at one for my son's
> computer, you like it that much? Newegg has one for less than 90 bucks.
> Right now he has an OLD Radeon All-in-Wonder, (the very first model
> produced, I paid a BUNCH of money for that thing when I bought it, about
400
> bucks as I recall, and now you say a 89 dollar card will STOMP it?)

Yep, definitely. Down the stairs, out the door, and right down the storm
drain! That's progress for ya! Of course it doesn't have the VIVO or teevee
tuner, but no great loss, because there are better standalone solutions
available, but I don't watch much teevee, so perhaps I'm a bit biased here.
Much better OpenGL performance, too. The 256-meg version is the one you
really want, if you think the little extra is worth it (I do, on this card
and above...), because it will allow for smoother gameplay in high
resolutions with some newer titles...not bad for the price. I think I might
get one too for Xmas for the kids of a certain very special lady in my life
(the alpha prime wonder-biznatch whom I trust more than the rest...)...hey,
they love the NFS series (so do I...), and it'll keep 'em out of trouble...

I hope that card isn't too CPU-bound if that's a circa-Radeon 7200 or
7500-era box ;-)...at least you won't slow down that much (comparatively) at
higher res if that's the case; you'll hit the CPU oomph barrier before
fill-rate becomes an issue...

If so I
> will definately pick one up, as game playing is his big complaint.
> Let me know what you think,
> Thanks
> Bitsbucket
> <hotcoolguy19@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hey I recently movied from ATI AIW 9600 (128 MB Ram) to the Geforce
> > 5700 LE (256 MB Ram) and I love the new card. Yeah ya'll are right as
> > far as OCing though.

Mixed results...mostly pretty good...some cards are better than others,
naturally. The core itself with good cooling might even make it up to not
too miserably shy from vanilla 5700 spec! This will really help pixel shader
performance as one might expect. Good to scope out the onboard memory rating
and quality too before plunking down the cake especially if overclocking's
your thing...

If it were slightly OCed then you would get
> > siginacated performance. I hated the 9600 because of the lack of ram
> > that it had. I bought it recently because I was playing NFSU2 on less
> > than nothing graphics with the 9600 but when I moved to the 5700 LE I
> > noticed a big difference. I could crank everything all the way up w/o
> > losing frames per second. I love this new card but I'm waiting for
> > NVidia to come out with a 6800 ultra PCI-X card so I can really play
> > some games.

I'm waiting for something like that for my next major upgrade too, and for
some decent AMD PCI-E mobos to be spit forth upon the market, but for now a
6600 AGP looks like a good stopgap after the soot settles from the chimney
guerrilla infiltration and the stockings get packed away...

> > Rob

TRENDING THREADS