Basic Question About Radeon 9550

I'm a novice, so please bear with me. I recently bought the ATI Radeon
9550 256MB video card. I am interested in buying The Sims 2 (and other
games), but the card is not listed on the box or on EA's website as
being compatible. Not sure if the numbers are even comparable, but the
9500 and the 9600 are both listed. Is it safe to assume that the game
will run with this card? Also, any thoughts on the card in general? I
realize it's fairly low end, but I don't play that many games and so
far it seems to meet my needs. I can't much documentation about this
particular card on the web. Thanks!

On 13 Dec 2004 10:24:50 -0800, "jnjmitch" <jnjmitch@swbell.net> wrote:

>I'm a novice, so please bear with me. I recently bought the ATI Radeon
>9550 256MB video card. I am interested in buying The Sims 2 (and other
>games), but the card is not listed on the box or on EA's website as
>being compatible. Not sure if the numbers are even comparable, but the
>9500 and the 9600 are both listed. Is it safe to assume that the game
>will run with this card? Also, any thoughts on the card in general? I
>realize it's fairly low end, but I don't play that many games and so
>far it seems to meet my needs. I can't much documentation about this
>particular card on the web. Thanks!

The 9550 is a 9600 that's been underclocked. The 9550SE is a 9600
that's underclocked but is also crippled further by using 64bit
memory. There are various articles on how to clock it back up to 9600
levels, and perhaps beyond, but cooling kind of holds things back as
the heat sink fans tend to be on the small side.

Try using google, and read through some of the reviews that comes up.
It's how I researched it before buying mine.

Here's one of the more extensive reviews and includes relative
performance comparisons:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/tul9550/

MCheu