  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2004 2:28:34 PM

Which videocard do you recommend for an Athlon 2000+ with 640 MB PC133
RAM on a Soyo K7VTA PRO 1.0 motherboard (AGP 2.0 4x, VIA KT133A
chipset)?

My old trusty voodoo3 is useless now. I will NOT upgrade/overclock the
system, just the videocard.

I suppose NV4x (6600GT?) is the last nVidia chip with AGP support (how
about the 6200?).

Are the new ATI cards (X600-X800) PCI-Express only or do the support
AGP?

Is a 6600GT a waste of money for my config?
I was thinking that maybe a Radeon 9600XT would be a better choice,
albeit slower.

And most important: anyone with experience on those videocards and the
K7VTA PRO 1.0 motherboard?

Thanks a lot and forgive my great english.

More about : videocard athlon 2000

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 20, 2004 5:11:48 AM

Dick Trace wrote:
> Which videocard do you recommend for an Athlon 2000+ with 640 MB PC133
> RAM on a Soyo K7VTA PRO 1.0 motherboard (AGP 2.0 4x, VIA KT133A
> chipset)?
>
> My old trusty voodoo3 is useless now. I will NOT upgrade/overclock the
> system, just the videocard.
>
> I suppose NV4x (6600GT?) is the last nVidia chip with AGP support (how
> about the 6200?).
>
> Are the new ATI cards (X600-X800) PCI-Express only or do the support
> AGP?
>
> Is a 6600GT a waste of money for my config?
> I was thinking that maybe a Radeon 9600XT would be a better choice,
> albeit slower.
>
> And most important: anyone with experience on those videocards and the
> K7VTA PRO 1.0 motherboard?
>
> Thanks a lot and forgive my great english.

For a brilliant picture, choose a Matrox! It's compatible with Linux,
but only the Matrox G450 is provided with a driver for WindowsXP_x64.

Roy

--
This posting is provided "As Is" with no warranties and confers no rights.
Anonymous

It depends on what games/apps you're running with your machine.

For a decent gaming experience, I think an ATI 9800Pro would work very
well with your setup. It's not expensive enough to break your bank, but
reasonably powerful so that you will still see benefits should you
decide to upgrade your MB/CPU combo.

But it's hard to say with certainty without knowing more details about
what you use your PC for, as well as what both your budget and
expectations are.
!