Decreased game performance after Windows Disk Defragmenter

beavis

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2002

San Andreas was working pretty smooth before I run the Defrag.

After Defrag the gameplay has become sluggish and jerky and stuttery. I
meet all the game hardware requirements and then some.

I only ran the defrag as a routine system maintenance, and now I regret
running it.

I remember reading in the defrag report that there were 2 big fragments on
my drive, one of them being San Andreas, and I should be expecting decreased
performance when running fragmented files.

Other than buying a new hard drive and reinstalling San Andreas on it, how
can I fix it? I have a 40 gig hard drive, 9.5 gig free, and I freed all the
space I can, there is nothing else that I can afford to uninstall.

"Beavis" <c@a.com> wrote in message
> San Andreas was working pretty smooth before I run the Defrag.
>
> After Defrag the gameplay has become sluggish and jerky and stuttery. I
> meet all the game hardware requirements and then some.
>
> I only ran the defrag as a routine system maintenance, and now I regret
> running it.
>
> I remember reading in the defrag report that there were 2 big fragments on
> my drive, one of them being San Andreas, and I should be expecting
> decreased performance when running fragmented files.
>
> Other than buying a new hard drive and reinstalling San Andreas on it, how
> can I fix it? I have a 40 gig hard drive, 9.5 gig free, and I freed all
> the space I can, there is nothing else that I can afford to uninstall.

move your save game files from MY DOCUMENTS and reinstall and see if that
helps. Remember to move them back after you install.

"Beavis" <c@a.com> wrote in message
> San Andreas was working pretty smooth before I run the Defrag.
>
> After Defrag the gameplay has become sluggish and jerky and stuttery. I
> meet all the game hardware requirements and then some.
>
> I only ran the defrag as a routine system maintenance, and now I regret
> running it.
>
> I remember reading in the defrag report that there were 2 big fragments on
> my drive, one of them being San Andreas, and I should be expecting
> decreased performance when running fragmented files.
>
> Other than buying a new hard drive and reinstalling San Andreas on it, how
> can I fix it? I have a 40 gig hard drive, 9.5 gig free, and I freed all
> the space I can, there is nothing else that I can afford to uninstall.

Why don't you uninstall, run the defrag again, then reinstall?