doing away with free holiday calls?

Last response: in Network Providers
August 4, 2005 6:53:32 PM

Hi,

Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
on national holidays.

Is this old news? I just found out ...

What do other carriers do?

EB

More about : free holiday calls

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 6:53:33 PM

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
>
> Is this old news? I just found out ...
>
> What do other carriers do?
>
> EB

They treat their customers with a lot more respect and consideration than
Verizon (the Master of Takeaway) does;-)

August 4, 2005 6:53:33 PM

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Esmail Bonakdarian wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
>they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
>on national holidays.

The technical term for this new policy is "chickenshit".

--
Jafo
August 4, 2005 6:53:33 PM

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
>
> Is this old news? I just found out

It was revealed on July statements. At this point, everyone should have
received notification. (That's not to say everyone reads the notices on
their statement, but that's not Verizon's fault.)

From my perspective, this amounts to a price increase. (If I'm at my useage
limit of "anytime" minutes on Dec 25, I'll now have to pay to make calls
that would previously have been "free.")

That's my view, which is worth exactly nada. Verizon disagrees and does not
consider this change to be a material change of service. Thus, they won't
waive the ETF if you want to discontue service.
August 4, 2005 6:53:34 PM

Jafo <a@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> The technical term for this new policy is "chickenshit".

Hmm...I thought that was a military term. It was when I was in the
NAV...(c;

--
Larry
Anonymous

Expert Witness wrote:

>>What do other carriers do?
>>
>>EB
>

> They treat their customers with a lot more respect and consideration than
> Verizon (the Master of Takeaway) does;-)

:-)

that was quick ...
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:49:55 AM

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
> Is this old news? I just found out ..

Yep!

> What do other carriers do?

Many do the same, but you would know that if you took the trouble to
research before posting.
August 5, 2005 12:28:15 PM

> From my perspective, this amounts to a price increase.

Ya think? LOL!

-Frank
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:28:21 PM

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> > From my perspective, this amounts to a price increase.
>
> Ya think? LOL!

What I think, you think, or any other customer thinks is irrelevant. What
matters is what Verizon thinks. And they don't view it as a price increase.
(A price increase would require them to waive the ETF if you don't agree to
the increase.)
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 1:42:49 PM

Joe Kaffe wrote:
> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> > > From my perspective, this amounts to a price increase.
> >
> > Ya think? LOL!
>
> What I think, you think, or any other customer thinks is irrelevant. What
> matters is what Verizon thinks. And they don't view it as a price increase.
> (A price increase would require them to waive the ETF if you don't agree to
> the increase.)

What we think DOES matter. It matters that it ticks us off, it matters
that we think we are getting screwed it matters that we feel it is a
price increase. Whether it matters to Verizon that this is how we feel
it will all come down to the next time you have to renew, they may have
the best network but they may NOT always have the best network. I love
Verizion but I still feel many of their business practices are not
right whether that means I change plans at renewal time remains to be
seen
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 6:05:57 PM

> What we think DOES matter. It matters that it ticks us off, it matters
> that we think we are getting screwed it matters that we feel it is a
> price increase. Whether it matters to Verizon that this is how we feel
> it will all come down to the next time you have to renew, they may have
> the best network but they may NOT always have the best network. I love
> Verizion but I still feel many of their business practices are not
> right whether that means I change plans at renewal time remains to be
> seen

I do NOT love Verizon; actually I detest the company for several
different reasons. But the calls DO go through!!......... WHEN will
the other companies compete as far as network quality?? Certainly they
don't right now. Not even close.
Anonymous
August 6, 2005 6:27:08 PM

zwerl1@yahoo.com wrote:
>>What we think DOES matter. It matters that it ticks us off, it matters
>>that we think we are getting screwed it matters that we feel it is a
>>price increase. Whether it matters to Verizon that this is how we feel
>>it will all come down to the next time you have to renew, they may have
>>the best network but they may NOT always have the best network. I love
>>Verizion but I still feel many of their business practices are not
>>right whether that means I change plans at renewal time remains to be
>>seen
>

> I do NOT love Verizon; actually I detest the company for several
> different reasons. But the calls DO go through!!......... WHEN will
> the other companies compete as far as network quality?? Certainly they
> don't right now. Not even close.

http://stevesobol.com/goodbye_vzw/

You can't make blanket statements like that. Part of the network broke in my
area, and VZW didn't fix it for over six months. Best network, my ass.

Coverage and network quality varies widely, even between networks owned and
maintained by the same carrier.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 7, 2005 4:16:57 AM

I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as good as
far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones free & I'm saving
$10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my family plan.

<zwerl1@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> What we think DOES matter. It matters that it ticks us off, it matters
>> that we think we are getting screwed it matters that we feel it is a
>> price increase. Whether it matters to Verizon that this is how we feel
>> it will all come down to the next time you have to renew, they may have
>> the best network but they may NOT always have the best network. I love
>> Verizion but I still feel many of their business practices are not
>> right whether that means I change plans at renewal time remains to be
>> seen
>
> I do NOT love Verizon; actually I detest the company for several
> different reasons. But the calls DO go through!!......... WHEN will
> the other companies compete as far as network quality?? Certainly they
> don't right now. Not even close.

August 7, 2005 4:16:58 AM

"Ben Skversky" <bskversky1@verizon.net> wrote in

> I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as
> good as far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones
> free & I'm saving $10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my
> family plan.

Alltel works just as good in eastern SC, too. I get 800 mins for $39, free
LD, Unlimited N&W. It actually works better in Myrtle Beach to Georgetown
and South of Charleston where VZW had to buy up some little guys to get any
license at all. The plan is SC/NC and around the borders of them. If I go
out of state, 100 minutes of nationwide is only $10 per block and I only
pay for national coverage if I ever need it, not forced to pay all the time
like VZW is doing now. System is B-800 Mhz cellular with CDMA and AMPS
both.

--
Larry
Anonymous

Do other cell companies have free holiday calling.
guy
"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
>
> Is this old news? I just found out ...
>
> What do other carriers do?
>
> EB
August 8, 2005 3:42:52 AM

"guy kimball" <saltcreekguy@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Do other cell companies have free holiday calling.

Alltel does....lots of them.

--
Larry
Anonymous

Ben Skversky wrote:
> I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as good as
> far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones free & I'm saving
> $10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my family plan.

Ben,

I hope you don't travel much. Compare Verizon's coverage map to
T-Mobile's coverage map. Does the word "skimpy" apply?

Lena
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 7:39:10 PM

Ben Skversky wrote:
> Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is great. By
> the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free phones
> are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.

I finally got to use the "street level" map for T-Mobile. Although I'm
in a "green" area on the national map, the street level map shows that
the service would be absolutely useless to me in this area (Silver
Spring, MD).

T-Mobile seems very tight lipped about roaming. Do they allow roaming?
What are the costs?

We only get 500 minutes on our $59.99 Verizon plan. But with the m-m,
free n&w, the four of us are running well below the 500 min/mo
allotment. Did I mention no roaming fees?

Lena
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 8:02:57 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Yup, I would say tmobile's coverage is less than half of verizon's.

Then you didn't compare the coverage maps. Try 10%.

Lena
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:38:18 PM

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> I compared the coverage maps for Wisc. I live in Milwaukee. For the
> entire state, it looks to me that tmobile covers about, a little less
> than, half of the areas covered by verizon.

Try this link:

http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/FamilyTimeRatePlanDetails...

and click on National Map.

Then try this link:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/dispatcher?action=DI...

scroll down and click on

View America's Choice Map with IN Calling

When I said 10%, I was referring to T-Mobile's US coverage compared to
Verizon's US coverage.

Lena
Anonymous
August 8, 2005 9:56:58 PM

Dean wrote:
> Hey Lena,
>
> I'm from SS (moved away in 1958). Wheaton Plaza still standing?
>
> Dean

Now called "Westfield Shopping Center", referred to by some as
"minority mall", now enclosed, many changes in department stores.
Montgomery Wards; gone. Woodies, gone. Hechts; going. Food Court
added. Circuit City, Lenscrafters, movie theater, bowling alley in a
strip of stores across the parking lot from the enclosed mall. Parking
garage added. I don't believe you would recognize the place if the
last time there was in 1958. A Metro stop nearby. Traffic has
probably increased twenty-fold since '58. Made the news this past week
due to stabbings by rival Latino gangs at the mall. Gives new meaning
to the phrase "shop 'til you drop".

Lena
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 12:45:36 AM

"Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ben Skversky wrote:
>> I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as good
>> as
>> far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones free & I'm
>> saving
>> $10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my family plan.
>
> Ben,
>
> I hope you don't travel much. Compare Verizon's coverage map to
> T-Mobile's coverage map. Does the word "skimpy" apply?
>
> Lena

August 9, 2005 12:45:37 AM

Ben Skversky wrote:
> Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is great. By
> the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free phones
> are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.

I know lots of people who brought their tmobile phones back after they
experienced how limited their coverage is. It doesn't matter if 1,000
minutes cost $5.00 if you can't use the phone. It is good for you that
your needs coincide with their significantly smaller coverage area.
August 9, 2005 12:45:37 AM

> 1000 family minutes for $69.99

Oh oh....This is gonna be trouble....(c;

--
Larry
Anonymous

Yup, I would say tmobile's coverage is less than half of verizon's.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:49:25 AM

No trouble for me, Larry. I'm not bashing VZW. I had a good ten year run
with them, & they were great. I'm a self employed sales person paying my
own expenses. At this time T-Mobile is giving me more bang for my buck.

"Larry" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> "Ben Skversky" <bskversky1@verizon.net> wrote in
>
>> 1000 family minutes for $69.99
>
> Oh oh....This is gonna be trouble....(c;
>
> --
> Larry
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 2:50:30 AM

No roaming for me either.

> Ben Skversky wrote:
>> Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is great.
>> By
>> the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free phones
>> are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.
>
> I finally got to use the "street level" map for T-Mobile. Although I'm
> in a "green" area on the national map, the street level map shows that
> the service would be absolutely useless to me in this area (Silver
> Spring, MD).
>
> T-Mobile seems very tight lipped about roaming. Do they allow roaming?
> What are the costs?
>
> We only get 500 minutes on our $59.99 Verizon plan. But with the m-m,
> free n&w, the four of us are running well below the 500 min/mo
> allotment. Did I mention no roaming fees?
>
> Lena

Anonymous
August 9, 2005 3:47:34 AM

I compared the coverage maps for Wisc. I live in Milwaukee. For the
entire state, it looks to me that tmobile covers about, a little less
than, half of the areas covered by verizon. There may indeed be states
where it is about 10 %. National maps are so compressed in scale that
it is difficult to gage actual areas covered.
August 9, 2005 4:31:46 AM

Hey Lena,

I'm from SS (moved away in 1958). Wheaton Plaza still standing?

Dean

"Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ben Skversky wrote:
>> Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is great.
>> By
>> the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free phones
>> are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.
>
> I finally got to use the "street level" map for T-Mobile. Although I'm
> in a "green" area on the national map, the street level map shows that
> the service would be absolutely useless to me in this area (Silver
> Spring, MD).
>
> T-Mobile seems very tight lipped about roaming. Do they allow roaming?
> What are the costs?
>
> We only get 500 minutes on our $59.99 Verizon plan. But with the m-m,
> free n&w, the four of us are running well below the 500 min/mo
> allotment. Did I mention no roaming fees?
>
> Lena

August 9, 2005 11:09:25 AM

> When I said 10%, I was referring to T-Mobile's US coverage compared to
> Verizon's US coverage.

Because both maps are a total lie, isn't this a moot point?

--
Larry
August 9, 2005 1:43:04 PM

Larry wrote:
> "Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in
>

>>When I said 10%, I was referring to T-Mobile's US coverage compared to
>>Verizon's US coverage.
>>

> Because both maps are a total lie, isn't this a moot point?

The maps I have looked at do present a reasonable picture of service
areas vs my actual experience. And everyone I know who has bought
tmobile has returned them after they start asking others why their
phones are working and what carrier they are using.
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 4:45:49 PM

The tmobile map does show what areas are tmobile and what areas are
roaming, but you have to zoom in to really see what is what.
The verizon map you refer to, does not show just verizon's areas. It
combines the roaming carriers coverage with verizon's own.
If you go to verizon's web site, go to Personal, select individual
plans, click go, then on the right side there is an area titled "Rate
area map:". Click on "National Enhanced Services Map". The map then
displayed is titled "National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area".
That is the only map I can find that shows verizon's actual coverage
area, to the best of my knowledge without any roaming partners.
Again, the maps are so compressed that it is hard to tell in tmobile's
case where there own coverage is. You have to zoom in to compare
coverage on a state by state basis. It appears that in some states it
is less than 10% of verizon's. In Wisc., it is a little less than half.
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:24:44 AM

Lena wrote:

> Ben Skversky wrote:
> > Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is great. By
> > the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free phones
> > are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.
>
> I finally got to use the "street level" map for T-Mobile. Although I'm
> in a "green" area on the national map, the street level map shows that
> the service would be absolutely useless to me in this area (Silver
> Spring, MD).
>
> T-Mobile seems very tight lipped about roaming. Do they allow roaming?
> What are the costs?
>
> We only get 500 minutes on our $59.99 Verizon plan. But with the m-m,
> free n&w, the four of us are running well below the 500 min/mo
> allotment. Did I mention no roaming fees?
>
> Lena

T-Mobile is NOT tight-lipped about roaming. They allow a lot of roaming.

"Includes T-Mobile USA network and the networks of our roaming partners and
affiliates. This map does not depict where rates apply. Roaming charges and long
distance charges may apply where applicable." This came right from the estimated
map of service coverage area.

Some of T-Mobile's roaming partners inside the United States include, but are not
limited to, Cingular Wireless, SunCom, RCC Unicel, Einstein PCS, i wireless, and
Western Wireless, just to name a few. Outside the United States include Rogers
Wireless in Canada, as well as numerous T-Mobile networks across the globe.

Vodafone PLC, parent company of Verizon Wireless, has extensive GSM networks
across the globe. However, because Verizon Wireless uses CDMA, generally those
users cannot access the GSM networks of Vodafone directly.

T-Mobile also offers night/weekend minutes, some plans include all day Friday as
weekend minutes. T-Mobile also offers "T-Mobile to T-Mobile" minutes. Most
T-Mobile plans do not have roaming fees inside the United States.

Did I mention no roaming fees?

TH
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:24:45 AM

Tropical Haven wrote:

> T-Mobile is NOT tight-lipped about roaming. They allow a lot of roaming.

I have been informed that my T-Mobile phone, which can use either T-Mobile's
network or Cingular's network here in the Victor Valley, will automatically
choose whichever network happens to have the strongest signal unless I
manually force it to use a certain network, which I can do if I so choose.

That's a nice change from the policies at my two former carriers, Sprint and
Verizon.

> T-Mobile also offers night/weekend minutes, some plans include all day Friday as
> weekend minutes. T-Mobile also offers "T-Mobile to T-Mobile" minutes. Most
> T-Mobile plans do not have roaming fees inside the United States.
>
> Did I mention no roaming fees?

Only on nationwide plans, but it's true no-roaming, like the old National
Single-Rate plans. We have a family share plan and therefore also get free
T-Mo to T-Mo calling on all phones on the plan. (For non-shared plans it's
$6.95 per month.)

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 1:26:51 AM

George wrote:

> Larry wrote:
> > "Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in
> >

> >>When I said 10%, I was referring to T-Mobile's US coverage compared to
> >>Verizon's US coverage.
> >>

> > Because both maps are a total lie, isn't this a moot point?
> >

> The maps I have looked at do present a reasonable picture of service
> areas vs my actual experience. And everyone I know who has bought
> tmobile has returned them after they start asking others why their
> phones are working and what carrier they are using.

It all depends on where you are.

Try comparing Verizon Wireless to T-Mobile in Minneapolis/St. Paul,
Minnesota. Verizon Wireless is definitely NOT the winner.

TH
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 6:31:45 AM

I don't know why it bothers some people (Lena, Charles) if a person claims
to be getting good service with a company other then VZW.

"Tropical Haven" <email@example.net> wrote in message

> Lena wrote:
>
>> Ben Skversky wrote:
>> > Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is
>> > great. By
>> > the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free
>> > phones
>> > are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.
>>
>> I finally got to use the "street level" map for T-Mobile. Although I'm
>> in a "green" area on the national map, the street level map shows that
>> the service would be absolutely useless to me in this area (Silver
>> Spring, MD).
>>
>> T-Mobile seems very tight lipped about roaming. Do they allow roaming?
>> What are the costs?
>>
>> We only get 500 minutes on our $59.99 Verizon plan. But with the m-m,
>> free n&w, the four of us are running well below the 500 min/mo
>> allotment. Did I mention no roaming fees?
>>
>> Lena
>
> T-Mobile is NOT tight-lipped about roaming. They allow a lot of roaming.
>
> "Includes T-Mobile USA network and the networks of our roaming partners
> and
> affiliates. This map does not depict where rates apply. Roaming charges
> and long
> distance charges may apply where applicable." This came right from the
> estimated
> map of service coverage area.
>
> Some of T-Mobile's roaming partners inside the United States include, but
> are not
> limited to, Cingular Wireless, SunCom, RCC Unicel, Einstein PCS, i
> wireless, and
> Western Wireless, just to name a few. Outside the United States include
> Rogers
> Wireless in Canada, as well as numerous T-Mobile networks across the
> globe.
>
> Vodafone PLC, parent company of Verizon Wireless, has extensive GSM
> networks
> across the globe. However, because Verizon Wireless uses CDMA, generally
> those
> users cannot access the GSM networks of Vodafone directly.
>
> T-Mobile also offers night/weekend minutes, some plans include all day
> Friday as
> weekend minutes. T-Mobile also offers "T-Mobile to T-Mobile" minutes.
> Most
> T-Mobile plans do not have roaming fees inside the United States.
>
> Did I mention no roaming fees?
>
> TH

Anonymous
August 10, 2005 11:09:25 PM

I must have the same plan you have, Steve. 1000 minutes for two lines is
$69.99. Have not had any problems making or receiving calls.

news:D dbqlt$61t$1@ratbert.glorb.com...
> Tropical Haven wrote:
>
>> T-Mobile is NOT tight-lipped about roaming. They allow a lot of roaming.
>
> I have been informed that my T-Mobile phone, which can use either
> T-Mobile's network or Cingular's network here in the Victor Valley, will
> automatically choose whichever network happens to have the strongest
> signal unless I manually force it to use a certain network, which I can do
> if I so choose.
>
> That's a nice change from the policies at my two former carriers, Sprint
> and Verizon.
>
>> T-Mobile also offers night/weekend minutes, some plans include all day
>> Friday as
>> weekend minutes. T-Mobile also offers "T-Mobile to T-Mobile" minutes.
>> Most
>> T-Mobile plans do not have roaming fees inside the United States.
>>
>> Did I mention no roaming fees?
>
> Only on nationwide plans, but it's true no-roaming, like the old National
> Single-Rate plans. We have a family share plan and therefore also get free
> T-Mo to T-Mo calling on all phones on the plan. (For non-shared plans it's
> $6.95 per month.)
>

> --
> Steve Sobol, Professional Geek 888-480-4638 PGP: 0xE3AE35ED
> Company website: http://JustThe.net/
> Personal blog, resume, portfolio: http://SteveSobol.com/
> E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 2:12:23 AM

On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 00:16:57 GMT, "Ben Skversky" <bskversky1@verizon.net>
chose to add this to the great equation of life, the universe, and
everything:

>I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as good as
>far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones free & I'm saving
>$10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my family plan.

That's fine as long as you don't decide to drive US 34 through Iowa... Even
on I-80, you'll be roaming.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Good appearance please.
No watermelon please."
- sign in Fragrant Hills Hotel, Beijing
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:01:42 AM

On 8 Aug 2005 15:39:10 -0700, "Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> chose to add
this to the great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

>I finally got to use the "street level" map for T-Mobile. Although I'm
>in a "green" area on the national map, the street level map shows that
>the service would be absolutely useless to me in this area (Silver
>Spring, MD).

Hmmm.... After earlier checking out T-Mo's (non-existent) coverage in Iowa,
I just checked my own neighborhood. Coverage here isn't bad, but the map
itself is incredibly inaccurate/out of date. It indicates a military
reservation that they abandoned before I was born and has been for my
entire life's memory known as Amoco (now BP) Research.

[If anybody cares, it was a Nike missile site that defended Chicago against
Russkie bombers from the mid-'50s to the early '60s.]

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"Let me just say to all females everywhere, on behalf of all males
everywhere, that you are very beautiful and your eyes are like two shining
stars, unless you're a female fly, in which case your eyes are more like
2,038 shining stars. So please give us a chance. And if you're not
interested, could you introduce us to your lawn tractor?" - Dave Barry
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:37:33 AM

Steve Sobol wrote:

> Tropical Haven wrote:
>
>> T-Mobile is NOT tight-lipped about roaming. They allow a lot of
>> roaming.
>

> I have been informed that my T-Mobile phone, which can use either
> T-Mobile's network or Cingular's network here in the Victor Valley,
> will automatically choose whichever network happens to have the
> strongest signal unless I manually force it to use a certain network,
> which I can do if I so choose.

I didn't realize you had the option of selecting networks. That's
great. Cingular Orange should allow that...it would give them an
advantage. With my Cingular Blue plan, I found that I was now allowed
to roam on T-Mobile in Chicago, where I wasn't able to before.

> That's a nice change from the policies at my two former carriers,
> Sprint and Verizon.
>
>> T-Mobile also offers night/weekend minutes, some plans include all
>> day Friday as
>> weekend minutes. T-Mobile also offers "T-Mobile to T-Mobile"
>> minutes. Most
>> T-Mobile plans do not have roaming fees inside the United States.
>>
>> Did I mention no roaming fees?
>

> Only on nationwide plans, but it's true no-roaming, like the old
> National Single-Rate plans. We have a family share plan and therefore
> also get free T-Mo to T-Mo calling on all phones on the plan. (For
> non-shared plans it's $6.95 per month.)

In defense of T-Mobile, whom I never utilize except for roaming, I have
never been in a place where 1900 mHz GSM is available that T-Mobile
restricted roaming on...only where 850 mHz was available.

TH
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 9:03:08 PM

David S wrote:
> Hmmm.... After earlier checking out T-Mo's (non-existent) coverage in Iowa,
> I just checked my own neighborhood. Coverage here isn't bad, but the map
> itself is incredibly inaccurate/out of date. It indicates a military
> reservation that they abandoned before I was born and has been for my
> entire life's memory known as Amoco (now BP) Research.
>
> [If anybody cares, it was a Nike missile site that defended Chicago against
> Russkie bombers from the mid-'50s to the early '60s.]

If I see you go streaking across the sky overhead, feet aflame, I'll be
sure to run for cover.

August 13, 2005 9:03:08 PM

David S wrote:
> Hmmm.... After earlier checking out T-Mo's (non-existent) coverage in Iowa,
> I just checked my own neighborhood. Coverage here isn't bad, but the map
> itself is incredibly inaccurate/out of date. It indicates a military
> reservation that they abandoned before I was born and has been for my
> entire life's memory known as Amoco (now BP) Research.
>
> [If anybody cares, it was a Nike missile site that defended Chicago against
> Russkie bombers from the mid-'50s to the early '60s.]

If I see you go streaking across the sky overhead, feet aflame, I'll be
sure to run for cover.

August 14, 2005 1:05:00 AM

Expert Witness wrote:

>>What do other carriers do?
>>
>>EB
>

> They treat their customers with a lot more respect and consideration than
> Verizon (the Master of Takeaway) does;-)

Actually, most of the other carriers either never included weekday
holidays as off-peak, or did away with the practice long before Verizon
plans to.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
August 14, 2005 1:13:52 AM

"Isaiah Beard" <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in message
> Expert Witness wrote:
>
>>>What do other carriers do?
>>>
>>>EB
>>

>> They treat their customers with a lot more respect and consideration than
>> Verizon (the Master of Takeaway) does;-)
>
> Actually, most of the other carriers either never included weekday
> holidays as off-peak, or did away with the practice long before Verizon
> plans to.

Do you also dispute they are the Masters of Takeaway?