doing away with free holiday calls?

Hi,

Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
on national holidays.

Is this old news? I just found out ...

What do other carriers do?

EB

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
>
> Is this old news? I just found out ...
>
> What do other carriers do?
>
> EB

They treat their customers with a lot more respect and consideration than
Verizon (the Master of Takeaway) does;-)

As viewed from alt.cellular.verizon, Esmail Bonakdarian wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
>they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
>on national holidays.

The technical term for this new policy is "chickenshit".

--
Jafo

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
>
> Is this old news? I just found out

It was revealed on July statements. At this point, everyone should have
received notification. (That's not to say everyone reads the notices on
their statement, but that's not Verizon's fault.)

From my perspective, this amounts to a price increase. (If I'm at my useage
limit of "anytime" minutes on Dec 25, I'll now have to pay to make calls
that would previously have been "free.")

That's my view, which is worth exactly nada. Verizon disagrees and does not
consider this change to be a material change of service. Thus, they won't
waive the ETF if you want to discontue service.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Jafo <a@nospam.invalid> wrote in

> The technical term for this new policy is "chickenshit".

Hmm...I thought that was a military term. It was when I was in the
NAV...(c;

--
Larry

Expert Witness wrote:

>>What do other carriers do?
>>
>>EB
>

> They treat their customers with a lot more respect and consideration than
> Verizon (the Master of Takeaway) does;-)

:)

that was quick ...

"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
> Is this old news? I just found out ..

Yep!

> What do other carriers do?

Many do the same, but you would know that if you took the trouble to
research before posting.

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> > From my perspective, this amounts to a price increase.
>
> Ya think? LOL!

What I think, you think, or any other customer thinks is irrelevant. What
matters is what Verizon thinks. And they don't view it as a price increase.
(A price increase would require them to waive the ETF if you don't agree to
the increase.)

Joe Kaffe wrote:
> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> > > From my perspective, this amounts to a price increase.
> >
> > Ya think? LOL!
>
> What I think, you think, or any other customer thinks is irrelevant. What
> matters is what Verizon thinks. And they don't view it as a price increase.
> (A price increase would require them to waive the ETF if you don't agree to
> the increase.)

What we think DOES matter. It matters that it ticks us off, it matters
that we think we are getting screwed it matters that we feel it is a
price increase. Whether it matters to Verizon that this is how we feel
it will all come down to the next time you have to renew, they may have
the best network but they may NOT always have the best network. I love
Verizion but I still feel many of their business practices are not
right whether that means I change plans at renewal time remains to be
seen

> What we think DOES matter. It matters that it ticks us off, it matters
> that we think we are getting screwed it matters that we feel it is a
> price increase. Whether it matters to Verizon that this is how we feel
> it will all come down to the next time you have to renew, they may have
> the best network but they may NOT always have the best network. I love
> Verizion but I still feel many of their business practices are not
> right whether that means I change plans at renewal time remains to be
> seen

I do NOT love Verizon; actually I detest the company for several
different reasons. But the calls DO go through!!......... WHEN will
the other companies compete as far as network quality?? Certainly they
don't right now. Not even close.

zwerl1@yahoo.com wrote:
>>What we think DOES matter. It matters that it ticks us off, it matters
>>that we think we are getting screwed it matters that we feel it is a
>>price increase. Whether it matters to Verizon that this is how we feel
>>it will all come down to the next time you have to renew, they may have
>>the best network but they may NOT always have the best network. I love
>>Verizion but I still feel many of their business practices are not
>>right whether that means I change plans at renewal time remains to be
>>seen
>

> I do NOT love Verizon; actually I detest the company for several
> different reasons. But the calls DO go through!!......... WHEN will
> the other companies compete as far as network quality?? Certainly they
> don't right now. Not even close.

http://stevesobol.com/goodbye_vzw/

You can't make blanket statements like that. Part of the network broke in my
area, and VZW didn't fix it for over six months. Best network, my ass.

Coverage and network quality varies widely, even between networks owned and
maintained by the same carrier.

Company website: http://JustThe.net/
E: sjsobol@JustThe.net Snail: 22674 Motnocab Road, Apple Valley, CA 92307

I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as good as
far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones free & I'm saving
$10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my family plan.

"Ben Skversky" <bskversky1@verizon.net> wrote in

> I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as
> good as far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones
> free & I'm saving $10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my
> family plan.

Alltel works just as good in eastern SC, too. I get 800 mins for $39, free
LD, Unlimited N&W. It actually works better in Myrtle Beach to Georgetown
and South of Charleston where VZW had to buy up some little guys to get any
license at all. The plan is SC/NC and around the borders of them. If I go
out of state, 100 minutes of nationwide is only $10 per block and I only
pay for national coverage if I ever need it, not forced to pay all the time
like VZW is doing now. System is B-800 Mhz cellular with CDMA and AMPS
both.

--
Larry

Do other cell companies have free holiday calling.
guy
"Esmail Bonakdarian" <ebonak-a@t-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Unless I misunderstood my most recent Verizon billing statement
> they are going to do away with free calls (a la nights/weekends)
> on national holidays.
>
> Is this old news? I just found out ...
>
> What do other carriers do?
>
> EB

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"guy kimball" <saltcreekguy@earthlink.net> wrote in

> Do other cell companies have free holiday calling.

Alltel does....lots of them.

--
Larry

Ben Skversky wrote:
> I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as good as
> far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones free & I'm saving
> $10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my family plan.

Ben,

I hope you don't travel much. Compare Verizon's coverage map to
T-Mobile's coverage map. Does the word "skimpy" apply?

Lena

Ben Skversky wrote:
> Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is great. By
> the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free phones
> are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.

I finally got to use the "street level" map for T-Mobile. Although I'm
in a "green" area on the national map, the street level map shows that
the service would be absolutely useless to me in this area (Silver
Spring, MD).

T-Mobile seems very tight lipped about roaming. Do they allow roaming?
What are the costs?

We only get 500 minutes on our $59.99 Verizon plan. But with the m-m,
free n&w, the four of us are running well below the 500 min/mo
allotment. Did I mention no roaming fees?

Lena

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> Yup, I would say tmobile's coverage is less than half of verizon's.

Then you didn't compare the coverage maps. Try 10%.

Lena

Jerome Zelinske wrote:
> I compared the coverage maps for Wisc. I live in Milwaukee. For the
> entire state, it looks to me that tmobile covers about, a little less
> than, half of the areas covered by verizon.

Try this link:

http://www.t-mobile.com/plans/FamilyTimeRatePlanDetails.asp

and click on National Map.

Then try this link:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/dispatcher?action=DISPLAY&item=_FAQ_TOPIC&topicID=135

scroll down and click on

View America's Choice Map with IN Calling

When I said 10%, I was referring to T-Mobile's US coverage compared to
Verizon's US coverage.

Lena

Dean wrote:
> Hey Lena,
>
> I'm from SS (moved away in 1958). Wheaton Plaza still standing?
>
> Dean

Now called "Westfield Shopping Center", referred to by some as
"minority mall", now enclosed, many changes in department stores.
Montgomery Wards; gone. Woodies, gone. Hechts; going. Food Court
added. Circuit City, Lenscrafters, movie theater, bowling alley in a
strip of stores across the parking lot from the enclosed mall. Parking
garage added. I don't believe you would recognize the place if the
last time there was in 1958. A Metro stop nearby. Traffic has
probably increased twenty-fold since '58. Made the news this past week
due to stabbings by rival Latino gangs at the mall. Gives new meaning
to the phrase "shop 'til you drop".

Lena

"Lena" <lenagainster@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ben Skversky wrote:
>> I went from VZW to T-Mobile two weeks ago & their service is just as good
>> as
>> far as I'm concerned. I got four new Samsung camera phones free & I'm
>> saving
>> $10 a month & getting 300 more minutes with my family plan.
>
> Ben,
>
> I hope you don't travel much. Compare Verizon's coverage map to
> T-Mobile's coverage map. Does the word "skimpy" apply?
>
> Lena

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Ben Skversky wrote:
> Lena, I have checked it out thoroughly. Where I go the service is great. By
> the way, I only had to commit to a one year contract. And the free phones
> are great too.Did I also mention I get 1000 family minutes for $69.99.

I know lots of people who brought their tmobile phones back after they
experienced how limited their coverage is. It doesn't matter if 1,000
minutes cost $5.00 if you can't use the phone. It is good for you that
your needs coincide with their significantly smaller coverage area.

> 1000 family minutes for $69.99

Oh oh....This is gonna be trouble....(c;

--
Larry

Yup, I would say tmobile's coverage is less than half of verizon's.