Suggestions for monitor replacement

Greetings All,

I am looking to replace my monitor, Sony Multiscan 17sf II, after 8
solid years of no complaints. The major dilemma I am having is CRT vs
LCD. I would like to know other's experiences and what people
suggest. Here is a list of what I primarily do in order of frequency:

1. Surf the web
2. Text based work (documentation and life in a terminal window)
3. Gaming

Here are some more facts.

1. Quality. I don't want to replace a monitor for another 8 years.
2. I use a KVM that has a VGA connection, so DVI and other connections
are only good for when I plug in another device or it provides another
service, like coax.
3. Space is not an issue, who cares if it takes up half my desk.
4. At least 17" of viewable space.

I am primarily focused on text rendering to insure I do not strain my
eyes too much, but am also interested in a monitor that will be good
for gaming. I would consider getting a CRT, but LCDs seem to offer
other options, like s-video and coax connections. Though, it appears
that CRTs are still best for gaming. Does anyone have suggestions for
someone that does a lot of text rendering and every once a week decides
to play a game for a few hours? Is it a good time to replace, or would
I benefit from waiting another few months or a year? What
manufacturers make good quality products for CRTs or LCDs? I am
looking for a great monitor that will last me another 8 years with no
complaints.

> Does anyone have suggestions for
> someone that does a lot of text rendering and every once a week decides
> to play a game for a few hours?

Now you can take this:

....or this:
http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l768/index.asp

If you want to game better you can wait for this:
http://www.eizo.com/products/lcd/l778/index.asp

If instead you want a CRT take a Diamondtron
tube monitor and nothing different.

Greetings

cjwhite77@netscape.net writes:

> I am looking to replace my monitor, Sony Multiscan 17sf II, after 8
> solid years of no complaints. The major dilemma I am having is CRT vs
> LCD. I would like to know other's experiences and what people
> suggest. Here is a list of what I primarily do in order of frequency:
>
> 1. Surf the web
> 2. Text based work (documentation and life in a terminal window)
> 3. Gaming
>
> Here are some more facts.
>
> 1. Quality. I don't want to replace a monitor for another 8 years.
> 2. I use a KVM that has a VGA connection, so DVI and other connections
> are only good for when I plug in another device or it provides another
> service, like coax.
> 3. Space is not an issue, who cares if it takes up half my desk.
> 4. At least 17" of viewable space.

I was in nearly the same position a week ago, when my Sony Multiscan
20seII finally gave out. I ended up buying an Eizo L885BK LCD monitor
to replace it. A lot of factors entered into my decision, which I had
been contemplating for months (since the monitor was clearly dying). I
posted the reasons in a separate message a few days ago.

Interestingly, the Eizo cost ¤1499 ... which sounds expensive until you
consider the fact that the Sony cost me ¤2529 in 1996.