Help: Getting Graphics Card to Work

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2004 12:50:57 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.

I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted to
install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.

Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the AGP
slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I power
up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.

Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem limited.

When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used, and
then taken out before the system was given to me.

The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video card
itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)

I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about messing
with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
doing, and I don't.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

More about : graphics card work

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2004 9:44:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I think there is a good chance the video card is not seated properly.
It's likely not pushed in all the way. Check carefully and see if the video
card is all the way in the socket.

--
Bob Noble
www.sonic.net/bnoble
<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message
> I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
>
> I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted to
> install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the AGP
> slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I power
> up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
>
> Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem limited.
>
> When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used, and
> then taken out before the system was given to me.
>
> The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video card
> itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
>
> I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about messing
> with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> doing, and I don't.

> Thanks a lot.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2004 12:20:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

1 beep, 3 beeps, 1 beep is a code for bad
or invalid memory. You might want to check
the memory to make sure that is good and
fits this motherboard.
John
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2004 9:48:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
looking up what the beep code(s) means...

On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
>
>I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted to
>install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
>
>Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the AGP
>slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I power
>up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
>
>Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem limited.
>
>When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used, and
>then taken out before the system was given to me.
>
>The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video card
>itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
>switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
>
>I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about messing
>with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
>doing, and I don't.
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks a lot.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2004 4:44:11 PM

Anymous wrote:
> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>
> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
> >
> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
AGP
> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
power
> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
> >
> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
limited.

> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
and
> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
> >
> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
card
> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
> >
> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
messing
> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> >doing, and I don't.
> >
> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2004 4:44:17 PM

Anymous wrote:
> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>
> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
> >
> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
AGP
> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
power
> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
> >
> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
limited.

> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
and
> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
> >
> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
card
> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
> >
> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
messing
> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> >doing, and I don't.
> >
> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2004 4:45:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

This is my 8th time attempting to post this since Google screwed up
everything.

I know the video card is seated correctly, and the beeps indicate what
John said.

The motherboard supports AGP/AGP Pro 4X. And the video card's
documentation says that it supports AGP Universal Bus 8X.

I just noticed that the three 4-pin male connectors(white, green, and
black) on the motherboard to the left of PCI slots 1 & 2. Page 14 in
the motherboard's manual says they are "AUX", "Video", and "CD". It
obviously slipped out of the CD ROM connection, so I put it
back(hopefully the right way).

Like I mentioned, all chips on the card are hardwired, so no chips can
be added or taken away. And the card worked in a different computer.

Any more ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anymous wrote:
> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>
> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
> >
> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
AGP
> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
power
> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
> >
> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
limited.

> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
and
> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
> >
> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
card
> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
> >
> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
messing
> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> >doing, and I don't.
> >
> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2004 4:45:58 PM

Anymous wrote:
> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>
> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
> >
> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
AGP
> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
power
> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
> >
> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
limited.

> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
and
> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
> >
> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
card
> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
> >
> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
messing
> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> >doing, and I don't.
> >
> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2004 4:46:08 PM

Anymous wrote:
> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>
> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
> >
> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
AGP
> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
power
> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
> >
> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
limited.

> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
and
> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
> >
> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
card
> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
> >
> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
messing
> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> >doing, and I don't.
> >
> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2004 4:46:21 PM

Anymous wrote:
> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>
> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
> >
> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
AGP
> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
power
> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
> >
> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
limited.

> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
and
> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
> >
> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
card
> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
> >
> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
messing
> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> >doing, and I don't.
> >
> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 21, 2004 5:17:17 PM

Anymous wrote:
> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>
> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>
> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
> >
> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
AGP
> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
power
> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
> >
> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
limited.

> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
and
> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
> >
> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
card
> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
> >
> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
messing
> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
> >doing, and I don't.
> >
> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >Thanks a lot.
> >
> >Darren Harris
> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2004 7:27:45 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

A better suggestion would be to have the person who put the systems
together give you the awnser. Or if local take it to him.

On 21 Dec 2004 13:44:11 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>Anymous wrote:
>> My first instinct would be to try whipping out that MB manual and
>> looking up what the beep code(s) means...
>>
>> On 18 Dec 2004 21:50:57 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
>>
>> >I've just spent three hours trying to get my video card working.
>> >
>> >I had a system put together minus a graphics card because I wanted
>> >install a Jetway Radeon 9550(95LXAD256C) card that I have.
>> >
>> >Unfortunately, I'm having problems. With the card plugged into the
>AGP
>> >slot, when I get one beep, followed by three quick beeps when I
>power
>> >up, and there is no signal whatsoever going to the display.
>> >
>> >Since I get no signal to the monitor at all, my options seem
>limited.
>> >
>> >When the system was built, a Diamond Stealth II G460 8MB was used,
>and
>> >then taken out before the system was given to me.
>> >
>> >The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and all of the chips on the video
>card
>> >itself are hard-wired.(For what it's worth, I see a bank of 8 dip
>> >switches on the motherboard. All positioned upwards, except #4.)
>> >
>> >I know nothing about IRQ conflicts, and would be nervous about
>messing
>> >with them since the guy who put the system together knew what he was
>> >doing, and I don't.
>> >
>> >Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>> >Thanks a lot.
>> >
>> >Darren Harris
>> >Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2004 10:05:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I was just told that it is common that a video card can be incompatable
with one's display, and that manufacturers intentionally leave this
fact out of the manuals. Is this true?

I tried it with a Dell P990, and an IBM 7097-593.
Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2004 3:05:58 PM

In article <1103771108.701460.221860@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Searcher7@mail.con2.com () wrote:

> I was just told that it is common that a video card can be incompatable
> with one's display, and that manufacturers intentionally leave this
> fact out of the manuals. Is this true?
No. It's possible your card could be capable of higher resolutions and/or
scan rates than your monitor but then all you have to do is set things
accordingly. Certainly, people do not /intentionally/ leave things out of
manuals - that's just crazy.

Iain Laskey
Practical PC Online www.practicalpc.co.uk
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2004 5:46:21 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> No.
>
> The beep code indicates that the problem is with the computer and not
> the monitor. Did you look up the beep code as suggested?

As I mentioned the beeps indicate what John said. The problem is with
the graphics card.(Which actually doesn't say much). Specifically A)
Bad video ram or B) No card installed. Now since the card works in a
different system, it can't be either of those two options. I'm thinking
that there is a compatibility issue that one won't find just by reading
the motherboard and video card manuals.

Anyway, there is obviously no answer to this problem.
Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2004 7:00:02 PM

On 22 Dec 2004 19:05:08 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>I was just told that it is common that a video card can be incompatable
>with one's display, and that manufacturers intentionally leave this
>fact out of the manuals. Is this true?

No.

The beep code indicates that the problem is with the computer and not
the monitor. Did you look up the beep code as suggested?
- -
Gary L.
Reply to the newsgroup only
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2004 2:17:01 PM

On 23 Dec 2004 14:46:21 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>> No.
>>
>> The beep code indicates that the problem is with the computer and not
>> the monitor. Did you look up the beep code as suggested?
>

>As I mentioned the beeps indicate what John said. The problem is with
>the graphics card.(Which actually doesn't say much). Specifically A)
>Bad video ram or B) No card installed. Now since the card works in a
>different system, it can't be either of those two options. I'm thinking
>that there is a compatibility issue that one won't find just by reading
>the motherboard and video card manuals.
>
>Anyway, there is obviously no answer to this problem.
>Thanks.
>
>Darren Harris
>Staten Island, New York.

There may be.
If the slot the card is in isn't connecting to all of its traces on
thre MOBO, the card may not work, while it will work in another
computer.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> There may be.
> If the slot the card is in isn't connecting to all of its traces on
> thre MOBO, the card may not work, while it will work in another
> computer.

I have no idea how all of the connections cannot be made, since I have
another video card that does work perfectly in this system, and the
Jetway video card that I can't get to work in it works perfectly in
another system.

So the problem stems from this specific system *with* this specific
video card.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2004 12:30:22 PM

On 24 Dec 2004 12:13:07 -0800, Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:

>> There may be.
>> If the slot the card is in isn't connecting to all of its traces on
>> thre MOBO, the card may not work, while it will work in another
>> computer.
>
>I have no idea how all of the connections cannot be made, since I have
>another video card that does work perfectly in this system, and the
>Jetway video card that I can't get to work in it works perfectly in
>another system.

Sorry, I misunderstood you to say the card worked in another syste.
Maybe another card is in order.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> Sorry, I misunderstood you to say the card worked in another syste.
> Maybe another card is in order.

Yes. The card did work in another system.

Anyway, I'll have to get another video card, and cross my fingers.
Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2004 12:05:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I don't know if this will help any. Does your video card have its own
plug for the monitor?

I just installed a new card in my nephew's computer, and I didn't
realize the cards had their own plug. So, I kept plugging the monitor
into the regular plug. Everytime the card was in, the monitor got no
signal. Take the card out - just fine. And repeat.

I finally noticed the card had its own slot, plugged it, and everything
was great. I spent over an hour wading through the FAQs on company's
website and searching the archives here. Never did see anything that
covered the issue.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2004 1:08:42 PM

On 26 Dec 2004 21:05:25 -0800, friesian@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:

>I don't know if this will help any. Does your video card have its own
>plug for the monitor?
>
>I just installed a new card in my nephew's computer, and I didn't
>realize the cards had their own plug. So, I kept plugging the monitor
>into the regular plug. Everytime the card was in, the monitor got no
>signal. Take the card out - just fine. And repeat.
>
>I finally noticed the card had its own slot, plugged it, and everything
>was great. I spent over an hour wading through the FAQs on company's
>website and searching the archives here. Never did see anything that
>covered the issue.

That's interesting!
Didn't the new card come with any documentation that included
something along he line of, "Plug monitor cable into the port on the
back of the card"?
I can see the confusion; if the computer has the video *on the mobo*,
and the user has no experience in this, that could be an interesting
thing!

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

It was very minor, so I skipped over it.

It said, "Reconnect any devices that you detached during installation
and then connect the monitor's video cable to your new card.

I read it as - reconnect all cords, blah, blah, blah. That's what I
get for skimming. It wasn't until I had it working that I found that
line in there. And I was only looking because I was sure it wasn't
there.

I am still pretty surprised that there was no mention of it in the
FAQs.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 27, 2004 5:13:58 PM

On 27 Dec 2004 12:27:33 -0800, friesian@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:

>It was very minor, so I skipped over it.
>
>It said, "Reconnect any devices that you detached during installation
>and then connect the monitor's video cable to your new card.
>
>I read it as - reconnect all cords, blah, blah, blah. That's what I
>get for skimming. It wasn't until I had it working that I found that
>line in there. And I was only looking because I was sure it wasn't
>there.

Yup, that'll do it. :-)

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video, rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I confused, and not sure if I understood that experience.

I inserted the card into the AGP port and then plugged the monitor
cable into the card's 15-pin female connector. The card has S-Video and
DVI outputs, and came with a black cable(I believe was for S-Video)
that I didn't bother taking out of the package, but that is all.

Anyway took a little monetary loss and gave it back to the guy I won it
from(on Ebay) at a cost lower than I won it for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.