Win Me shutdown problems!

argh!!!

Everytime..........and I mean everytime I try to restart or shutdown windows me the screen goes to black and hangs. I am then forced to hit the reset button and have to deal with a scandisk usually on reboot. Anyone have any ideas?
I downloaded and installed all the windows updates including that shutdown delay patch..........could that possible be the problem? Anyone else have similar problems?

Specs:

Tbird 1000
A7V
256 ram
Geforce
10 answers Last reply
More about shutdown problems
  1. If you have a SB sound card you'll proberly find that the DOS emulation link from the drivers is what's doing this so just disable it.

K6-3+450@560 2.1v 5x112
    Epox MVP3-C2
    Sweeeter!
    A Duron 800 is comin'
  2. This problem occurs when the OS system comes across a program running that it can't close down itself.
    If it is not the SB emulation driver try using Ctrl+Alt+Del and close down all programs (except IE and Systray) and if That works experiment with those programs to find out which one is causing the problem.

K6-3+450@560 2.1v 5x112
    Epox MVP3-C2
    Sweeeter!
    A Duron 800 is comin'
  3. Nope that didnt work :(
    The only programs I had running were explorer, systray and something called Em_exec. I shutdown Em_exec and just left the other two but it still didnt help none.

Any other ideas?

Btw lemme give you a list of what loads up during startup.....according to msconfig anyhow.

scan registry
    task monitor
    system tray
    load power profile
    Em_exec
    load power profile "has it listed 2 times for some reason?"
    SSDPSRV
    StateMgr

Any of those look odd to you?
    btw on a side note....can you recommend to me what I should have running at startup?
  4. Yes!Yes!Yes!... its that damn shutdown patch! The same exact thing happened to me. I ended up reformating and reinstalling ME just so I could shut down normally again. Microsoft should take that patch off the updates.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>
  5. Actually,you don't need any of those programs running!
  6. So is there is anything I can do about it besides reformatting and installing ME again? Is there a way to uninstall that shutdown patch?
  7. according to microsoft its uninstallable. Maybe there is a way (the super techies around here might know), but thats a little beyond me :frown: .

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>
  8. THIS IS YOUR PC TECHNICIAN

WINDOWS ME NEEDS *STATEMGR, SCANREG, SYS TRAY AND PC HEALTH UPON BOOT.
  9. THIS IS YOUR PC TECHNICIAN

IF YOUR PC DOES NOT SHUTDOWN PROPERLY, TRY THE SYSTEM RESTORE OPTION IN SYSTEM CONFIG UTILITY. BACK THE O/S TO THE DAY BEFORE THE PROBLEM, THEN PRAY.
  10. I boot fine without PC health.

Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Me Shutdown Windows