Win Me shutdown problems!

Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
argh!!!

Everytime..........and I mean everytime I try to restart or shutdown windows me the screen goes to black and hangs. I am then forced to hit the reset button and have to deal with a scandisk usually on reboot. Anyone have any ideas?
I downloaded and installed all the windows updates including that shutdown delay patch..........could that possible be the problem? Anyone else have similar problems?

Specs:

Tbird 1000
A7V
256 ram
Geforce

G

If you have a SB sound card you'll proberly find that the DOS emulation link from the drivers is what's doing this so just disable it.

K6-3+450@560 2.1v 5x112
Epox MVP3-C2
Sweeeter!
A Duron 800 is comin'

G

This problem occurs when the OS system comes across a program running that it can't close down itself.
If it is not the SB emulation driver try using Ctrl+Alt+Del and close down all programs (except IE and Systray) and if That works experiment with those programs to find out which one is causing the problem.

K6-3+450@560 2.1v 5x112
Epox MVP3-C2
Sweeeter!
A Duron 800 is comin'

Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
Nope that didnt work :(
The only programs I had running were explorer, systray and something called Em_exec. I shutdown Em_exec and just left the other two but it still didnt help none.

Any other ideas?

Btw lemme give you a list of what loads up during startup.....according to msconfig anyhow.

scan registry
task monitor
system tray
load power profile
Em_exec
load power profile "has it listed 2 times for some reason?"
SSDPSRV
StateMgr

Any of those look odd to you?
btw on a side note....can you recommend to me what I should have running at startup?

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
Yes!Yes!Yes!... its that damn shutdown patch! The same exact thing happened to me. I ended up reformating and reinstalling ME just so I could shut down normally again. Microsoft should take that patch off the updates.

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

Nuke

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2001
So is there is anything I can do about it besides reformatting and installing ME again? Is there a way to uninstall that shutdown patch?

Shocwavez

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001
according to microsoft its uninstallable. Maybe there is a way (the super techies around here might know), but thats a little beyond me :frown: .

:tongue: <font color=green> I LOVE INTEL. It tastes like chicken </font color=green>

G

THIS IS YOUR PC TECHNICIAN

WINDOWS ME NEEDS *STATEMGR, SCANREG, SYS TRAY AND PC HEALTH UPON BOOT.

G

THIS IS YOUR PC TECHNICIAN

IF YOUR PC DOES NOT SHUTDOWN PROPERLY, TRY THE SYSTEM RESTORE OPTION IN SYSTEM CONFIG UTILITY. BACK THE O/S TO THE DAY BEFORE THE PROBLEM, THEN PRAY.