What is a good 2D video card for a Asus AV8?

I bought a new Matrox G550 video card for a Asus AV8 motherboard. It
seemed the perfect choice for me as I've had previous Matrox cards that
were all fantastic. The G550 seemed really fine too, up until XP SP2 is
installed, and then it wont boot. Matrox apparently has no solution.
I think it works OK in some boards with SP2, but not the AV8 or MSI K8N
(from Matrox forum). I'm using it now with just SP1, but I must replace
it so I can get on with things.

Sharp clear 2D text is the most important thing to me, with one each
VGA/DVI output if possible. Speed is not important. I dont need specs
for 3D or games, and would strongly prefer a board without a fan on it.
4X AGP is fine.

All the other choices seem to be some form of Nvidia or ATI Radeon
board, of which there are many variations, all with goals I dont need.
My understanding is that these trade sharpness for speed? There are
older Radeon 7000 cards and such, surely sufficient, but I worry if they
would be another dead end card, for example if 64 bit drivers would be
available in the future when needed. Are these still supported?

Any suggestions for a good 2D AGP card for under $100?
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about what good video card asus

    Wayne,

    You are wasting your money buying another card. I would just wait until
    either a new BIOS, new graphics drivers or whatever else is released
    that will overcome this compatibility issue. Note that this issue may
    not neccesarily be caused/repaired by the graphics drivers. And
    considering that you are already happy with Matrox products, the
    solution is simple - stay with all three (MB, G550 and SP1) and simply
    install the security benefits of SP2 via a free software firewall (Zone
    alarm, Sygate, etc.), a free spyware tool (Ad-aware, Spybot S&D, etc.),
    and a free securer browser (Mozilla Firefox, which provides popup and
    activeX protection).

    Wayne Fulton wrote:
    > I bought a new Matrox G550 video card for a Asus AV8 motherboard. It

    > seemed the perfect choice for me as I've had previous Matrox cards
    that
    > were all fantastic. The G550 seemed really fine too, up until XP SP2
    is
    > installed, and then it wont boot. Matrox apparently has no solution.

    > I think it works OK in some boards with SP2, but not the AV8 or MSI
    K8N
    > (from Matrox forum). I'm using it now with just SP1, but I must
    replace
    > it so I can get on with things.
    >
    > Sharp clear 2D text is the most important thing to me, with one each
    > VGA/DVI output if possible. Speed is not important. I dont need specs

    > for 3D or games, and would strongly prefer a board without a fan on
    it.
    > 4X AGP is fine.
    >
    > All the other choices seem to be some form of Nvidia or ATI Radeon
    > board, of which there are many variations, all with goals I dont
    need.
    > My understanding is that these trade sharpness for speed? There are
    > older Radeon 7000 cards and such, surely sufficient, but I worry if
    they
    > would be another dead end card, for example if 64 bit drivers would
    be
    > available in the future when needed. Are these still supported?
    >
    > Any suggestions for a good 2D AGP card for under $100?
    > Thanks

Graphics Cards Matrox Graphics