dump question about video rendering CPU vs GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2004 7:30:57 PM

I'm starting to look around, planning on buying a new system in the next few
months. One new task I'll have is some video editing and rendering using
Adobe Premiere. I can't afford the best of what is out there, so if I have
to choose, should I put money towards a better CPU (or even a low-end dual
processor), or toward a better GPU? What should I look for, to determine if
the GPU will actually assist when rendering video?

Many thanks,
Keith
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2004 1:46:57 PM

K Ruck wrote:
>.. I can't afford the best of what is out there, so if I have
> to choose, should I put money towards a better CPU (or even a low-end dual
> processor), or toward a better GPU? What should I look for, to determine if
> the GPU will actually assist when rendering video?

it won't, the cpu and in some cases multiple cpus will assist. i'm not
sure how well premiere is optimized for dualies. you need lots of ram
for video editing.
!