how to choose new video card

My nephew got a computer for Christmas, and it is great, except that it
needs a better video card. I know it needs to have at least 64MB, but
how do I determine what cards will work with this computer?

I am also aware that there are two types of cards - PCI and AGP. How do
I determine which type I need? I couldn't find anything in the manual
about the video card, and I haven't been able to find anything online
about this computer.

The actual computer in question is an eMachine c2825. I found one
review that said to get a eVGA GeForce™ MX 440 64MB Video Card, but
I couldn't find that model. I found a eVGA GeForce™ MX 4000 64MB
Video Card, in both the PCI and AGP versions. I don't know if this
model will work for the computer, and if so, which one to get.

I would appreciate any advice. I'd like to go ahead and get the new
video card as soon as possble so that he can play his new games.
Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about choose video card

    friesian@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:
    > My nephew got a computer for Christmas, and it is great, except that it
    > needs a better video card. I know it needs to have at least 64MB, but
    > how do I determine what cards will work with this computer?

    If you have a motherboard model and maker handy, look it up on their
    site and it will tell you.

    > I am also aware that there are two types of cards - PCI and AGP. How do
    > I determine which type I need? I couldn't find anything in the manual
    > about the video card, and I haven't been able to find anything online
    > about this computer.

    Easiest way to do this is to actually open the case up and take a look
    at it. Usually, there are around 3-5 slots parallel to each other down
    the board. These are PCI slots. AGP slot, however, is above these and is
    set further into the motherboard.

    > The actual computer in question is an eMachine c2825. I found one
    > review that said to get a eVGA GeForce™ MX 440 64MB Video Card, but
    > I couldn't find that model. I found a eVGA GeForce™ MX 4000 64MB
    > Video Card, in both the PCI and AGP versions. I don't know if this
    > model will work for the computer, and if so, which one to get.

    Yeah, the GF4 MX series are whores. They are all over the place in brand
    and bus.

    > I would appreciate any advice. I'd like to go ahead and get the new
    > video card as soon as possble so that he can play his new games.
    > Thanks.

    AH hell, I just looked it up. Yes, it does have an AGP slot. I was
    unable to find whether or not it was 4x or 8x. But it seems like a
    rather new machine, so it should have 8x. Plus most 8x video cards are
    backwards compatible with 4x.

    Get a good AGP card.

    --
    Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen