Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

how to choose new video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2004 12:31:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

My nephew got a computer for Christmas, and it is great, except that it
needs a better video card. I know it needs to have at least 64MB, but
how do I determine what cards will work with this computer?

I am also aware that there are two types of cards - PCI and AGP. How do
I determine which type I need? I couldn't find anything in the manual
about the video card, and I haven't been able to find anything online
about this computer.

The actual computer in question is an eMachine c2825. I found one
review that said to get a eVGA GeForce™ MX 440 64MB Video Card, but
I couldn't find that model. I found a eVGA GeForce™ MX 4000 64MB
Video Card, in both the PCI and AGP versions. I don't know if this
model will work for the computer, and if so, which one to get.

I would appreciate any advice. I'd like to go ahead and get the new
video card as soon as possble so that he can play his new games.
Thanks.

More about : choose video card

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 26, 2004 1:35:18 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

friesian@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:
> My nephew got a computer for Christmas, and it is great, except that it
> needs a better video card. I know it needs to have at least 64MB, but
> how do I determine what cards will work with this computer?

If you have a motherboard model and maker handy, look it up on their
site and it will tell you.

> I am also aware that there are two types of cards - PCI and AGP. How do
> I determine which type I need? I couldn't find anything in the manual
> about the video card, and I haven't been able to find anything online
> about this computer.

Easiest way to do this is to actually open the case up and take a look
at it. Usually, there are around 3-5 slots parallel to each other down
the board. These are PCI slots. AGP slot, however, is above these and is
set further into the motherboard.

> The actual computer in question is an eMachine c2825. I found one
> review that said to get a eVGA GeForce™ MX 440 64MB Video Card, but
> I couldn't find that model. I found a eVGA GeForce™ MX 4000 64MB
> Video Card, in both the PCI and AGP versions. I don't know if this
> model will work for the computer, and if so, which one to get.

Yeah, the GF4 MX series are whores. They are all over the place in brand
and bus.

> I would appreciate any advice. I'd like to go ahead and get the new
> video card as soon as possble so that he can play his new games.
> Thanks.
>

AH hell, I just looked it up. Yes, it does have an AGP slot. I was
unable to find whether or not it was 4x or 8x. But it seems like a
rather new machine, so it should have 8x. Plus most 8x video cards are
backwards compatible with 4x.

Get a good AGP card.

--
Cory "Shinnokxz" Hansen
http://coryhansen.com
!