Firewall administrator

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,info.firewalls (More info?)

I have been happily using Agnitum Outpost (free) for some time, until I
discovered a problem with windows XP user switching. There is no way to
control who accesses and controls outpost ie. only administrators, and if a
non administrator is first to use the computer, even an administrator cannot
change outpost settings. I have a feeling this is also the case with other
firewalls. Can anyone tell me if there are any firewalls which can be set to
allow only administratpors to control, while still filtering all users?

Thanks.

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,info.firewalls (More info?)

centsi@blueyonder.co.uk wrote in

> I have been happily using Agnitum Outpost (free) for some time, until
> I discovered a problem with windows XP user switching. There is no way
> to control who accesses and controls outpost ie. only administrators,
> and if a non administrator is first to use the computer, even an
> administrator cannot change outpost settings. I have a feeling this is
> also the case with other firewalls. Can anyone tell me if there are
> any firewalls which can be set to allow only administratpors to
> control, while still filtering all users?

The Admin UI of a PFW application an (exe) can be controlled as to what
user or group can access and execute the PFW UI program by using NTFS on
the XP O/S and setting the access privileges for the program.

Duane :)

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,info.firewalls (More info?)

I am not sure this will work with outpost, as the ui loads as part of the
service!

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,info.firewalls (More info?)

centsi@blueyonder.co.uk wrote in news:c81228187862928b220ff9986c629318
@unlimited.ultrafeed.com:

> I am not sure this will work with outpost, as the ui loads as part of the
> service!

I don't know about that one. And if it's true, then OP is a strange
application/program. I doubt seriously, that a UI program is loading as
part of some service program.

Duane :)

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,info.firewalls (More info?)

centsi@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> I have been happily using Agnitum Outpost (free) for some time, until I
> discovered a problem with windows XP user switching. There is no way to
> control who accesses and controls outpost ie. only administrators, and if a
> non administrator is first to use the computer, even an administrator cannot
> change outpost settings. I have a feeling this is also the case with other
> firewalls. Can anyone tell me if there are any firewalls which can be set to
> allow only administratpors to control, while still filtering all users?
>
> Thanks.

Why not just disable Fast User Switching? It's a bad idea to begin with.
That should have never been designed into XP, for security reasons. Period.