Samsung 715v burning my retinas

I bought a Samsung 715V LCD monitor to replace my old CRT. At first, it was
blurry, washed out, and overexposed. After adjusting the resolution from
1024X768 to 1280X1024 (as indicated in the manual), it is much sharper.
However, it is still washed out. The beige menus on Windows XP merge with
white dialog boxes, and the white "back" and "forwards" arrows on Internet
Exporer look like they are trying to reach a new level of brightness on top
of their green circles. On my Southpark desktop background, the bright eyes
of the characters are indistinguishable from the colours of their faces. I
have installed the correct drivers. What adjustments do I need to make? I
have turned the brightness down to 0, which helps. But I suspect it is still
washed out blue if any colour. So far, no matter what, colour reproduction
is terrible and reading the monitor is like shining a flashlight into my
eyes. Either this monitor was designed for blind people, or makes people
blind enough not to notice the awful images. I am not a professional user,
but I can very well see a huge, negative difference, between this and my 17"
CRT. My laptop and PalmPilot put out better colour and less eyestrain than
this. My video card is an ATI Rage Fury Pro, which is pretty low-end and
might be the problem (though it worked okay with the CRT monitor.) I've
tried MagicTune and Natural Colour, and it is ineffective so far. What can I
do?

Brendan

Brendan Stone writes:

> I bought a Samsung 715V LCD monitor to replace my old CRT. At first, it was
> blurry, washed out, and overexposed. After adjusting the resolution from
> 1024X768 to 1280X1024 (as indicated in the manual), it is much sharper.
> However, it is still washed out. The beige menus on Windows XP merge with
> white dialog boxes, and the white "back" and "forwards" arrows on Internet
> Exporer look like they are trying to reach a new level of brightness on top
> of their green circles. On my Southpark desktop background, the bright eyes
> of the characters are indistinguishable from the colours of their faces. I
> have installed the correct drivers. What adjustments do I need to make? I
> have turned the brightness down to 0, which helps. But I suspect it is still
> washed out blue if any colour. So far, no matter what, colour reproduction
> is terrible and reading the monitor is like shining a flashlight into my
> eyes. Either this monitor was designed for blind people, or makes people
> blind enough not to notice the awful images. I am not a professional user,
> but I can very well see a huge, negative difference, between this and my 17"
> CRT. My laptop and PalmPilot put out better colour and less eyestrain than
> this. My video card is an ATI Rage Fury Pro, which is pretty low-end and
> might be the problem (though it worked okay with the CRT monitor.) I've
> tried MagicTune and Natural Colour, and it is ineffective so far. What can I
> do?

Turn the brightness down. LCD makers do seem to be competing for
brightness, with some of them being so bright when new that you can use
them for ceiling lamps. I guess that boosting the output of the
backlight is cheaper and easier than improving the quality of the LCD
panel in front of it.

beemer

"Brendan Stone" <brendanstone@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
[...]

Brendon, I had the same problem with this TFT until I realised that
"brightness" and "contrast" were actually reversed. Try reducing contrast
it worked for me.

Beemer