Using Opera with Zone Alarm

Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

Hello:

I have recently started using ZoneAlarm and the Opera browser started
having problems.

For example:

-- In Yahoo mail, certain buttons won't function.
-- Once in a while, I cannot get back to the inbox.

In the workarounds these problems? What do I change in the ZoneAlarm
settings?

Thanks,

Deguza
(Post your replies here. Hotmail may block your e-mails.)
20 answers Last reply
More about using opera zone alarm
  1. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

  2. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:38:55 -0400, jp10558 <osm1-rix8@spamex.com> wrote:

    What is the version number of ZoneAlarm being used? I have ZoneAlarm
    version4.5.594.000 that works flawlessly with Opera version 7.53 currently
    on WindowsXP Home.
  3. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > >> I have recently started using ZoneAlarm and the Opera browser
    > started
    > >> having problems.

    > What is the version number of ZoneAlarm being used? I have ZoneAlarm
    > version4.5.594.000 that works flawlessly with Opera version 7.53 currently
    > on WindowsXP Home.

    Versions 5.0s have severe problems. Use 4.5 or use 5.1 (that came out
    a few days ago). Thanks.

    ---raj
  4. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    You are joking right? I've been using ZA for ages, and it's solid as as
    rock.

    > On the other hand, you might just want to get rid of Zone Alarm as it
    > casues so many problems with so many programs. I would suggest
    > Sygate.
  5. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

  6. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:38:55 -0400, jp10558 <osm1-rix8@spamex.com> wrote:

    > On 30 Jul 2004 18:02:01 -0700, Kompu Kid wrote:
    >
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I have recently started using ZoneAlarm and the Opera browser
    > started
    >> having problems.
    >>
    >> For example:
    >>
    >> -- In Yahoo mail, certain buttons won't function.
    >> -- Once in a while, I cannot get back to the inbox.
    >>
    >> In the workarounds these problems? What do I change in the
    > ZoneAlarm
    >> settings?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Deguza
    >> (Post your replies here. Hotmail may block your e-mails.)
    >
    > You could try disabling ZA's cookie control and privacy settings for
    > yahoo, or just all together.
    >
    > On the other hand, you might just want to get rid of Zone Alarm as it
    > casues so many problems with so many programs. I would suggest
    > Sygate.

    To be honest, I'm using Zonealarm 5.1.0 (latest version), and have
    been using various versions for a good few years now, and I haven't
    had any problems at all regarding Opera. Are you sure you've given
    it full access to the net?

    Ant :)
  7. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    deguza@hotmail.com (Kompu Kid) wrote in message news:<f5ce576d.0407301702.44cd9d93@posting.google.com>...
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have recently started using ZoneAlarm and the Opera browser started
    > having problems.
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > -- In Yahoo mail, certain buttons won't function.
    > -- Once in a while, I cannot get back to the inbox.
    >
    > In the workarounds these problems? What do I change in the ZoneAlarm
    > settings?

    Zone Alarm 5 was the worst piece of SW I ever installed on my system,
    it would eventually freeze up my system forcing a reboot. Especially
    when using bit torrent.

    I have gone to Sygate Personal firewall. Much better.
  8. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <f5ce576d.0407301702.44cd9d93@posting.google.com>, deguza@hotmail.com says...
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have recently started using ZoneAlarm and the Opera browser started
    > having problems.
    >
    > For example:
    >
    > -- In Yahoo mail, certain buttons won't function.
    > -- Once in a while, I cannot get back to the inbox.
    >
    > In the workarounds these problems? What do I change in the ZoneAlarm
    > settings?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Deguza
    > (Post your replies here. Hotmail may block your e-mails.)

    You might want to try Sygate firewall. I have been using
    Opera and Sygate together back through many earlier versions
    of each. Not one problem have I had.
    http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
    Casey
  9. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b75a2885bc025c698976c@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    casey@nosuch.net says...

    > You might want to try Sygate firewall. I have been using
    > Opera and Sygate together back through many earlier versions
    > of each. Not one problem have I had.
    > http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
    > Casey

    Or for that matter Kerio. I've been trying the latest Kerio 4.1 betas
    and Kerio now has stateful inspection for all protocols and in the next
    beta they're finally adding good logging. There are still bugs, but
    it's shaping up nicely. So far, no problems here...

    Sygate is very good, I actually purchased the Pro version myself, but
    the main advantage ZA has over it is the stateful inspection. But to
    get that, you also have to put up with the bloat of unwanted "features"
    as well.

    --
    Kerodo
  10. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b7599ea4a993f4c9896bc@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...
    > In article <MPG.1b75a2885bc025c698976c@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    > casey@nosuch.net says...
    > > >
    > > You might want to try Sygate firewall. I have been using
    > > Opera and Sygate together back through many earlier versions
    > > of each. Not one problem have I had.
    > > http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
    > > Casey
    >
    > Or for that matter Kerio. I've been trying the latest Kerio 4.1 betas
    > and Kerio now has stateful inspection for all protocols and in the next
    > beta they're finally adding good logging. There are still bugs, but
    > it's shaping up nicely. So far, no problems here...
    >
    > Sygate is very good, I actually purchased the Pro version myself, but
    > the main advantage ZA has over it is the stateful inspection. But to
    > get that, you also have to put up with the bloat of unwanted "features"
    > as well.

    Sygate has Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI).

    Quoted from Sygate FAQ:
    Q-- Does Sygate Personal Firewall do Stateful Packet Inspection?
    A-- Yes, Sygate® Personal Firewall does Stateful Packet Inspection
    on every Remote TCP connection. Sygate® Personal Firewall also
    uses an algorithm to check Remote UDP and DHCP traffic to make
    sure that the communication is secure.
    Unquote
    http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=7e70845e3330c7f26ab2a2c7fd0245c0&threadid=52
  11. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b75ce59805e45fa98976d@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    casey@nosuch.net says...
    > In article <MPG.1b7599ea4a993f4c9896bc@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...
    > > In article <MPG.1b75a2885bc025c698976c@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    > > casey@nosuch.net says...
    > > > >
    > > > You might want to try Sygate firewall. I have been using
    > > > Opera and Sygate together back through many earlier versions
    > > > of each. Not one problem have I had.
    > > > http://soho.sygate.com/free/default.php
    > > > Casey
    > >
    > > Or for that matter Kerio. I've been trying the latest Kerio 4.1 betas
    > > and Kerio now has stateful inspection for all protocols and in the next
    > > beta they're finally adding good logging. There are still bugs, but
    > > it's shaping up nicely. So far, no problems here...
    > >
    > > Sygate is very good, I actually purchased the Pro version myself, but
    > > the main advantage ZA has over it is the stateful inspection. But to
    > > get that, you also have to put up with the bloat of unwanted "features"
    > > as well.
    > >

    > Sygate has Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI).
    >
    > Quoted from Sygate FAQ:
    > Q-- Does Sygate Personal Firewall do Stateful Packet Inspection?
    > A-- Yes, Sygate® Personal Firewall does Stateful Packet Inspection
    > on every Remote TCP connection. Sygate® Personal Firewall also
    > uses an algorithm to check Remote UDP and DHCP traffic to make
    > sure that the communication is secure.
    > Unquote
    > http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=7e70845e3330c7f26ab2a2c7fd0245c0&threadid=52

    That's news to me! Interesting.. Although I notice that it says SPI on
    TCP connections only. But that's good then..

    --
    Kerodo
  12. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    "Trevor and Michelle Gough" <TGnot@invalid> wrote in message news:<opsbzdtnlb8fqwyp@preferre-9h9n82>...
    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 22:38:55 -0400, jp10558 <osm1-rix8@spamex.com> wrote:

    > What is the version number of ZoneAlarm being used? I have ZoneAlarm
    > version4.5.594.000 that works flawlessly with Opera version 7.53 currently
    > on WindowsXP Home.

    I am using ZoneAlarm 5.1.011.000, in other words the latest.

    I am on W2K with the latest patches and servicepacks.

    I have Opera 7.53.

    Thanks!

    Deguza
  13. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b75b7e6c78886bf9896bd@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...
    > In article <MPG.1b75ce59805e45fa98976d@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    > casey@nosuch.net says...
    > > In article <MPG.1b7599ea4a993f4c9896bc@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...
    > > > In article <MPG.1b75a2885bc025c698976c@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    > > > casey@nosuch.net says...

    > > > Or for that matter Kerio. I've been trying the latest Kerio 4.1 betas
    > > > and Kerio now has stateful inspection for all protocols and in the next
    > > > beta they're finally adding good logging. There are still bugs, but
    > > > it's shaping up nicely. So far, no problems here...
    > > >
    > > > Sygate is very good, I actually purchased the Pro version myself, but
    > > > the main advantage ZA has over it is the stateful inspection. But to
    > > > get that, you also have to put up with the bloat of unwanted "features"
    > > > as well.
    > > >

    > > Sygate has Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI).
    > >
    > > Quoted from Sygate FAQ:
    > > Q-- Does Sygate Personal Firewall do Stateful Packet Inspection?
    > > A-- Yes, Sygate® Personal Firewall does Stateful Packet Inspection
    > > on every Remote TCP connection. Sygate® Personal Firewall also
    > > uses an algorithm to check Remote UDP and DHCP traffic to make
    > > sure that the communication is secure.
    > > Unquote
    > > http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=7e70845e3330c7f26ab2a2c7fd0245c0&threadid=52
    >
    > That's news to me! Interesting.. Although I notice that it says SPI on
    > TCP connections only. But that's good then..

    I'm certainly no "knowledge whiz" when it comes to protocols but
    I believe it would destroy the usefulness of UDP and ICMP if you
    tried to SPI them <G>.
    Casey
  14. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b75dc7c18da1b0c98976e@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    casey@nosuch.net says...
    > In article <MPG.1b75b7e6c78886bf9896bd@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...
    > > In article <MPG.1b75ce59805e45fa98976d@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    > > casey@nosuch.net says...
    > > > In article <MPG.1b7599ea4a993f4c9896bc@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...

    > > > Sygate has Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI).
    > > >
    > > > Quoted from Sygate FAQ:
    > > > Q-- Does Sygate Personal Firewall do Stateful Packet Inspection?
    > > > A-- Yes, Sygate® Personal Firewall does Stateful Packet Inspection
    > > > on every Remote TCP connection. Sygate® Personal Firewall also
    > > > uses an algorithm to check Remote UDP and DHCP traffic to make
    > > > sure that the communication is secure.
    > > > Unquote
    > > > http://forums.sygate.com/vb/showthread.php?s=7e70845e3330c7f26ab2a2c7fd0245c0&threadid=52
    > >
    > > That's news to me! Interesting.. Although I notice that it says SPI on
    > > TCP connections only. But that's good then..
    > >

    > I'm certainly no "knowledge whiz" when it comes to protocols but
    > I believe it would destroy the usefulness of UDP and ICMP if you
    > tried to SPI them <G>.

    I know next to nothing about the subject, but I believe Kerio SPI's UDP
    and ICMP now, and I'm pretty sure ZA does too. I used to get random
    "garbage" packets from my DNS servers (UPD) with Sygate, but with ZA and
    Kerio I don't. Perhaps that's why?

    --
    Kerodo
  15. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b75c8b66ef3fe4b9896be@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...
    > In article <MPG.1b75dc7c18da1b0c98976e@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    > casey@nosuch.net says...
    > > In article <MPG.1b75b7e6c78886bf9896bd@news.central.cox.net>, kerodonospamkenny@hotmail.com says...
    > > > In article <MPG.1b75ce59805e45fa98976d@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    > > > casey@nosuch.net says...

    > > > That's news to me! Interesting.. Although I notice that it says SPI on
    > > > TCP connections only. But that's good then..
    > > >

    > > I'm certainly no "knowledge whiz" when it comes to protocols but
    > > I believe it would destroy the usefulness of UDP and ICMP if you
    > > tried to SPI them <G>.
    >
    > I know next to nothing about the subject, but I believe Kerio SPI's UDP
    > and ICMP now, and I'm pretty sure ZA does too. I used to get random
    > "garbage" packets from my DNS servers (UPD) with Sygate, but with ZA and
    > Kerio I don't. Perhaps that's why?

    I solved that with an advanced rule:
    Allow, UDP, remote port 53, in/out, to my ISP primary dns IP and
    secondary dns IP. At tools/options/security smart dns is not
    enabled.
    Casey
  16. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b76d77844c8a50798976f@news.west.earthlink.net>,
    casey@nosuch.net says...
    > > I know next to nothing about the subject, but I believe Kerio SPI's UDP
    > > and ICMP now, and I'm pretty sure ZA does too. I used to get random
    > > "garbage" packets from my DNS servers (UPD) with Sygate, but with ZA and
    > > Kerio I don't. Perhaps that's why?
    > >

    > I solved that with an advanced rule:
    > Allow, UDP, remote port 53, in/out, to my ISP primary dns IP and
    > secondary dns IP. At tools/options/security smart dns is not
    > enabled.
    > Casey

    Yep, that's what I did in Sygate also. Exactly, except I also specified
    Services.Exe as the program effected too, to tighten it up ever further.
    That way Sygate will only allow DNS traffic initiated by your machine
    and no other garbage. At least it's Services.Exe in Win2k. Might be
    Svchost.Exe in XP. Not sure...

    --
    Kerodo
  17. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Casey <casey@nosuch.net> wrote in

    > I solved that with an advanced rule:
    > Allow, UDP, remote port 53, in/out, to my ISP primary dns IP and
    > secondary dns IP. At tools/options/security smart dns is not
    > enabled.
    > Casey

    Casey, just another note about that. You'll know when you've got your DNS
    tightened up good when you stop seeing outbound ICMP type 3 to your DNS
    servers in your Sygate logs. Watch for that. When it's gone, then you're
    all set. Try adding Services.Exe or Svchost.Exe (XP) to the effected apps
    in your DNS rule. Should do the trick.

    --
    Kerodo
  18. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    #
  19. Archived from groups: opera.general,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    Some time around 30 Jul 2004 18:02:01 -0700 (give or take a month), someone who says they are named
    deguza@hotmail.com (Kompu Kid) fired up the tubes on the teletype and rambled on about:

    >-- In Yahoo mail, certain buttons won't function.
    >-- Once in a while, I cannot get back to the inbox.

    I have been on vacation so I am sorry for the late reply. I have not downloaded the latest
    ZoneAlarm.

    The only time I had problems with Yahoo was when I had ZoneAlarm not to accept cookies from them.

    -W
  20. Archived from groups: opera.general,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.security.firewalls (More info?)

    > Zone Alarm 5 was the worst piece of SW I ever installed on my system,
    > it would eventually freeze up my system forcing a reboot. Especially
    > when using bit torrent.
    >
    > I have gone to Sygate Personal firewall. Much better.

    You are so right! Going back to stable v4.5 helps! Thanks.

    ---raj

Firewalls Opera Security Networking