Quick & Easy Question

I would love just to view HD content on my PC.

As I understand, all I need is to purchase an HD PCI Tuner card, ie
MyHD or the like. And that will come with the needed antenna.

So I install the card/software. Screw in the antenna.

And am I good to go? Is this all I need. I don't want/need to do
anything else but VIEW HD programming on my PC.

Do I need anything else? My system is equiped with the correct
requirements. So I'm good there. I'm just wondering if it's THAT easy?
I just need to shell out the bucks to buy the PCI card and that's it?

Any help would be appreciated. I googled all this and couldn't come up
with a simple answer to my question. YES or NO.

--Phil
thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about quick easy question

    "Phil R." <screenname@domain.com> wrote in message
    > I would love just to view HD content on my PC.
    >
    > As I understand, all I need is to purchase an HD PCI Tuner card, ie
    > MyHD or the like. And that will come with the needed antenna.
    >
    > So I install the card/software. Screw in the antenna.
    >
    > And am I good to go? Is this all I need. I don't want/need to do
    > anything else but VIEW HD programming on my PC.
    >
    > Do I need anything else? My system is equiped with the correct
    > requirements. So I'm good there. I'm just wondering if it's THAT easy?
    > I just need to shell out the bucks to buy the PCI card and that's it?
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I googled all this and couldn't come up
    > with a simple answer to my question. YES or NO.

    Yes, Phil, if all you want to do is watch HDTV on your PC, you simply need
    install the card and attach to an appropriate antenna. My experience with
    HDTV
    says that any good UHF antenna will work. You'll want to get as big an
    antenna
    as possible, and preferably, add an amplifier, especially if you split the
    signal at
    all.

    I recently bought a TV with an ATSC tuner, and get incredible results. I've
    got
    a big "outdoor" antenna in my attic and use two amplifiers, since I split
    the
    signal a few times. I'm about 35 miles from most of the area stations.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:02:06 -0600, "Dan Wojciechowski"
    <too.much@spam.com> wrote:

    >"Phil R." <screenname@domain.com> wrote in message
    >> I would love just to view HD content on my PC.
    >>
    >> As I understand, all I need is to purchase an HD PCI Tuner card, ie
    >> MyHD or the like. And that will come with the needed antenna.
    >>
    >> So I install the card/software. Screw in the antenna.
    >>
    >> And am I good to go? Is this all I need. I don't want/need to do
    >> anything else but VIEW HD programming on my PC.
    >>
    >> Do I need anything else? My system is equiped with the correct
    >> requirements. So I'm good there. I'm just wondering if it's THAT easy?
    >> I just need to shell out the bucks to buy the PCI card and that's it?
    >>
    >> Any help would be appreciated. I googled all this and couldn't come up
    >> with a simple answer to my question. YES or NO.
    >
    >Yes, Phil, if all you want to do is watch HDTV on your PC, you simply need
    >install the card and attach to an appropriate antenna. My experience with
    >HDTV
    >says that any good UHF antenna will work.

    Thanks.

    --Phil
    going with MyHD card.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    With respect, this isn't always the case... a lot of stations either

    a) broadcast a digital signal, but NOT the HD feed

    or

    b) broadcast a very low power signal which is much harder to receive

    I live in a 250k pop. city and am 7 miles from the towers and pick the
    stations up at only 15-20%... and FOX won't broadcast HD for 2 to 3
    years

    Also, if you live in a forest you're going to have a tough time...

    >Yes, Phil, if all you want to do is watch HDTV on your PC, you simply need
    >install the card and attach to an appropriate antenna. My experience with
    >HDTV
    >says that any good UHF antenna will work. You'll want to get as big an
    >antenna
    >as possible, and preferably, add an amplifier, especially if you split the
    >signal at
    >all.
    >
    >I recently bought a TV with an ATSC tuner, and get incredible results. I've
    >got
    >a big "outdoor" antenna in my attic and use two amplifiers, since I split
    >the
    >signal a few times. I'm about 35 miles from most of the area stations.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Fred600600" <Fred600600@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > With respect, this isn't always the case... a lot of stations either
    >
    > a) broadcast a digital signal, but NOT the HD feed

    That's a good point, Fred. Actually, from the stations in my area I've
    seen all the following:

    The Good Old Analogue 480i channel
    Digital channels broadcasting 480i = SD
    Digital channels broadcasting 720p or 1080i (= HD), but with SD source
    material
    Digital channels broadcasting HD with HD source material.

    Only the last is true HD, but happily, every Digital channel looks better
    than its
    Analogue conterpart. Digital channels have no snow or reflections, and
    contrast
    and color saturation are much better.

    > or
    >
    > b) broadcast a very low power signal which is much harder to receive
    >
    > I live in a 250k pop. city and am 7 miles from the towers and pick the
    > stations up at only 15-20%... and FOX won't broadcast HD for 2 to 3
    > years

    Sounds like you need to work on your antenna or distribution.

    I live near Aurora, IL, so most of my stations are 30 to 40 miles away in
    Chicago. I can't pick up the CBS affiliate (Channel 2/2-1) at all. But
    I do get 5-1 (NBC HD), 5-2 (SD weather), 7-1 (ABC HD), 7-2 (SD ABC News),
    7-3 (SD weather radar), 9-1 (WGN HD), 9-2 (WGN HD Spanish), 11-1 (PBS HD),
    11-2 (PBS SD - different from 11-1), 20-1 (PBS SD), 1-2 (CH23 SD), 1-1 (CH26
    SD),
    32-1 (FOX HD), 42-2 (PAX 38 SD), 42-3, 42-4, 42-5, 42-6, 42-7 (all
    different, alternate
    PAX 38 SD channels), 44-1 (Spanish SD), 46-1(?) (Another religious SD),
    50-1 (UPN HD), 60-1 (Spanish SD), 66-3 (Spanish SD). And I may
    have forgotten something in the 50's. Luckily, all the stations I get are
    pretty
    much in the same direction.

    My antenna is one of those big 50+ element out door jobs, mounted in my
    attic
    (so I can't turn it to pick up the other 6 or 8 stations within range).
    I've got an
    inline amp on the antenna which feeds into an amplified splitter. One
    branch goes
    to the master bedroom, and the other goes to the family room. In the family
    room I
    use another amplified splitter to give me four signals: TV, VCR, FM Radio,
    basement
    TV.

    Based on the signal meters in my Panasonic plasma TV, most of the signals
    are
    above 80%. 20-1 is a weaker station, in the 60-70% range. 1-1 and 1-2 are
    poor,
    only around 30%. It looks as though my TV doesn't try to display anything
    below
    25%. 30% is about the limit for watching. If the signal strength is below
    30%, I
    get drop outs. Analogue 5, 7, and sometimes 9, are snowy messes. 23 is
    completely
    unwatchable. Except for 1-1 and 1-2, every digital channel is perfect; and
    the HD
    channels are stunning (with HD content). Even 1-1 and 1-2 (that unwatchable
    23),
    are perfect when there isn't a drop out.

    > Also, if you live in a forest you're going to have a tough time...

    Large buildings and water towers are really bad, too.

    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]
    "I see you coming / To the end of the day
    And was it worth it? / No one can say
    I see your face / It is ghostly pale
    Into the sunset / We are watching you sail"

Graphics Cards HD Graphics