Sudden death!

My Gateway Crystalscan 2000 17" monitor was working well when I turned it
off yesterday, (in fact I had noted that the image was as good as I'd seen
on a 17" monitor)! Today, zilch, not a glimmer. There is no "click" as I
turn the power on and the LED on the front does not light. Power is arriving
at the monitor ok, and I've checked the internal fuse as well. There was no
bang or burning smell, it just refused to start. I have an elecrical
"background" and don't mind trying to fix things myself, but don't want to
damage anything (myself included) by meddling where I shouldn't! Any ideas
appreciated. Thanks.
Wayne.

Wayne:
Start by checking the Horizontal Output Transistor (HOT) on the
heatsink around the flyback transformer.
If OK, then check the Damper Diode, and all large (TO-220) transistors,
FETs and diodes in the horizontal area and the secondary of the
switching
power supply. You can use the Diode Check position of your DMM to check
these parts. Look for shorted readings. The power supply is probably
shutting off because of too much current draw.
A short in the primary side of the power supply usually causes the
fuse to blow. Also check for bad solder connections.
Hope this helps....
John

Wayne Atkinson writes:

> My Gateway Crystalscan 2000 17" monitor was working well when I turned it
> off yesterday, (in fact I had noted that the image was as good as I'd seen
> on a 17" monitor)! Today, zilch, not a glimmer. There is no "click" as I
> turn the power on and the LED on the front does not light. Power is arriving
> at the monitor ok, and I've checked the internal fuse as well. There was no
> bang or burning smell, it just refused to start. I have an elecrical
> "background" and don't mind trying to fix things myself, but don't want to
> damage anything (myself included) by meddling where I shouldn't! Any ideas
> appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe it's just the power switch.