Verizon service constraints

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
August 6, 2005 2:46:05 PM

I am currently using a Samsung a530 with AC1 and MOU for 1X data access. My
NE2 contract is ending and the Motorola E815 seems to be an excellent
upgrade. Is it correct that if I choose this phone Verizon will force me
into an EV-DO monthly contract charge, even if 1X meets all my needs? Are
there any new phones that will let me continue my existing contract with 1X,
AC1 and MOU? I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret later.
August 6, 2005 2:46:06 PM

No worries. You will not be forced into Vcast service. And... EVDO is
better than 1x and is no extra charge anyway. As far as keeping your
existing contract, exercising your NE2 option requires a two year contract.
All new contracts are AC2. There is no such thing as staring an AC1
contract. So... I think you'll be AC2 after the NE2 purchase. I was! I
will say though that there has been no difference to my service, pre and
post AC2.

-Frank

"Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using a Samsung a530 with AC1 and MOU for 1X data access. My
>NE2 contract is ending and the Motorola E815 seems to be an excellent
>upgrade. Is it correct that if I choose this phone Verizon will force me
>into an EV-DO monthly contract charge, even if 1X meets all my needs? Are
>there any new phones that will let me continue my existing contract with
>1X, AC1 and MOU? I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret later.

Anonymous
August 6, 2005 9:24:26 PM

vcast is only $15 and includes unlimited mobile web which is a huge plus. I
can't get evdo where i live but i keep it because of the unlimited mobile
web and the fact that i may go somewhere where there is evdo and want to use
it plus hopefully when verizon launches here later this year they'll have
evdo service.
"Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>I am currently using a Samsung a530 with AC1 and MOU for 1X data access. My
>NE2 contract is ending and the Motorola E815 seems to be an excellent
>upgrade. Is it correct that if I choose this phone Verizon will force me
>into an EV-DO monthly contract charge, even if 1X meets all my needs? Are
>there any new phones that will let me continue my existing contract with
>1X, AC1 and MOU? I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret later.

Related resources
August 7, 2005 2:02:53 AM

It seems like some e815 users are not finding such a favorable climate for
tethered operation with their new phone. Here are some comments from a
related user group:
________________________
Hello,
Verizon is telling me I cannot use the new e815 I just got with the
Mobile Office kit or as a modem for my computer??????????????

What is the 'real deal'??

Thanks
Ron

Hi Ron,
Sure you can. All you need to do is sign up for a Data Plan <g>.

I suspect that your EV-DO phone number may be flagged,
just like PDA/Smartphones, so that you cannot do Data
without a $$/mo Plan.

(I assume you have installed your MOK software, but cannot
connect.)
___________________________

Is this a false alarm, or is there a true change in Verizon policy?

"Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
> No worries. You will not be forced into Vcast service. And... EVDO is
> better than 1x and is no extra charge anyway. As far as keeping your
> existing contract, exercising your NE2 option requires a two year
> contract. All new contracts are AC2. There is no such thing as staring an
> AC1 contract. So... I think you'll be AC2 after the NE2 purchase. I was!
> I will say though that there has been no difference to my service, pre and
> post AC2.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>>I am currently using a Samsung a530 with AC1 and MOU for 1X data access.
>>My NE2 contract is ending and the Motorola E815 seems to be an excellent
>>upgrade. Is it correct that if I choose this phone Verizon will force me
>>into an EV-DO monthly contract charge, even if 1X meets all my needs? Are
>>there any new phones that will let me continue my existing contract with
>>1X, AC1 and MOU? I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret later.

August 7, 2005 2:02:54 AM

Why don't YOU talk to VZW yourself about your plan? Seems like a good idea
to me.

> It seems like some e815 users are not finding such a favorable climate for
> tethered operation with their new phone. Here are some comments from a
> related user group:
> ________________________
> Hello,
> Verizon is telling me I cannot use the new e815 I just got with the
> Mobile Office kit or as a modem for my computer??????????????
>
> What is the 'real deal'??
>
> Thanks
> Ron
>

> Hi Ron,
> Sure you can. All you need to do is sign up for a Data Plan <g>.
>
> I suspect that your EV-DO phone number may be flagged,
> just like PDA/Smartphones, so that you cannot do Data
> without a $$/mo Plan.
>
> (I assume you have installed your MOK software, but cannot
> connect.)
> ___________________________
>
> Is this a false alarm, or is there a true change in Verizon policy?
>

> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> No worries. You will not be forced into Vcast service. And... EVDO is
>> better than 1x and is no extra charge anyway. As far as keeping your
>> existing contract, exercising your NE2 option requires a two year
>> contract. All new contracts are AC2. There is no such thing as staring
>> an AC1 contract. So... I think you'll be AC2 after the NE2 purchase. I
>> was! I will say though that there has been no difference to my service,
>> pre and post AC2.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>>>I am currently using a Samsung a530 with AC1 and MOU for 1X data access.
>>>My NE2 contract is ending and the Motorola E815 seems to be an excellent
>>>upgrade. Is it correct that if I choose this phone Verizon will force me
>>>into an EV-DO monthly contract charge, even if 1X meets all my needs? Are
>>>there any new phones that will let me continue my existing contract with
>>>1X, AC1 and MOU? I don't want to make a decision that I'll regret later.

August 7, 2005 1:24:08 PM

I'd like to be as informed as possible by others who have encountered e185
policies, before talking to anyone at VZW. We all know how unreliable
"official" responses are!

> Why don't YOU talk to VZW yourself about your plan? Seems like a good idea
> to me.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>> It seems like some e815 users are not finding such a favorable climate
>> for tethered operation with their new phone. Here are some comments from
>> a related user group:
>> ________________________
>> Hello,
>> Verizon is telling me I cannot use the new e815 I just got with the
>> Mobile Office kit or as a modem for my computer??????????????
>>
>> What is the 'real deal'??
>>
>> Thanks
>> Ron
>>

>> Hi Ron,
>> Sure you can. All you need to do is sign up for a Data Plan <g>.
>>
>> I suspect that your EV-DO phone number may be flagged,
>> just like PDA/Smartphones, so that you cannot do Data
>> without a $$/mo Plan.
>>
>> (I assume you have installed your MOK software, but cannot
>> connect.)
>> ___________________________
>>
>> Is this a false alarm, or is there a true change in Verizon policy?
>>

>> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>>> No worries. You will not be forced into Vcast service. And... EVDO is
>>> better than 1x and is no extra charge anyway. As far as keeping your
>>> existing contract, exercising your NE2 option requires a two year
>>> contract. All new contracts are AC2. There is no such thing as staring
>>> an AC1 contract. So... I think you'll be AC2 after the NE2 purchase. I
>>> was! I will say though that there has been no difference to my service,
>>> pre and post AC2.
>>>
>>> -Frank
>>>
>>> "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message

August 7, 2005 1:24:09 PM

There are no e815 policies.

> I'd like to be as informed as possible by others who have encountered e185
> policies, before talking to anyone at VZW. We all know how unreliable
> "official" responses are!
>

> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>> Why don't YOU talk to VZW yourself about your plan? Seems like a good
>> idea to me.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>>> It seems like some e815 users are not finding such a favorable climate
>>> for tethered operation with their new phone. Here are some comments from
>>> a related user group:
>>> ________________________
>>> Hello,
>>> Verizon is telling me I cannot use the new e815 I just got with the
>>> Mobile Office kit or as a modem for my computer??????????????
>>>
>>> What is the 'real deal'??
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ron
>>>

>>> Hi Ron,
>>> Sure you can. All you need to do is sign up for a Data Plan <g>.
>>>
>>> I suspect that your EV-DO phone number may be flagged,
>>> just like PDA/Smartphones, so that you cannot do Data
>>> without a $$/mo Plan.
>>>
>>> (I assume you have installed your MOK software, but cannot
>>> connect.)
>>> ___________________________
>>>
>>> Is this a false alarm, or is there a true change in Verizon policy?
>>>

>>> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message

August 7, 2005 7:23:27 PM

In article <NK6dnU8ru9K6vGvfRVn-qg@giganews.com>, Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com
says...
> There are no e815 policies.
>
> -Frank
>
> "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to be as informed as possible by others who have encountered e185
> > policies, before talking to anyone at VZW. We all know how unreliable
> > "official" responses are!

I got E815 few days ago. I replaced older motorola phone. I used to,
from time to time use National Access through data cable on the old
phone under "National Access Minutes of Use". When I replaced my phone I
thought I will have to buy new data cable but I was nicely surprised
that my cable fit E815. The only one problem I encounter was that I did
not have drivers. I researched motorola and havent been able to find USB
drivers on their website either so I called Verizon technical support.
When I told tech support that I need USB driver for E815 I was asked why
do I need driver for. So, I said that I need internet access from time
to time and I want to use my new E815 for it .... and now ...
I heard that this would be VIOLATION OF THE CONTRACT and this is illigal
...... I said that this is not true and that in my contract under
enhanced options I have "National Enhanced SVc Access". I was put on
hold and after few minutes he told me ... that "we do not support that
option....there are not drivers for E815 USB cable and NATIONAL Enhanced
SVS Access is only for accessing internet ON the phone"

I ended up serching internet. I found the driver and I even found out
that is is possible to use National Access over bluetooth (after few
tweaks)

AP
August 7, 2005 7:23:28 PM

> I ended up serching internet. I found the driver and I even found out
> that is is possible to use National Access over bluetooth (after few
> tweaks)
>

> AP

Yes, I know. Same with my VCast EVDO LG VX8000.

The OP asked in here and he got the right answer from me. He did not accept
it. His prerogative, I know. So all I could do is refer him to VZW and let
him believe them. Whatever.

-Frank
August 7, 2005 7:23:28 PM

BTW, they seem to have dropped the term "National Access" when describing
EVDO phones. My on-line Service Profile states:

Current Data Plan:
- Premium Ntwk Access
- Unit allowance: unlimited kb

I have no data plan and don't pay for one. This was just the default for
AC2 with my EVDO phone.

-Frank

"AP" <cat@eveningstar.dyndns.org> wrote in message
> In article <NK6dnU8ru9K6vGvfRVn-qg@giganews.com>, Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com
> says...
>> There are no e815 policies.
>>
>> -Frank
>>
>> "Bart" <Bart7@isp.com> wrote in message
>> > I'd like to be as informed as possible by others who have encountered
>> > e185
>> > policies, before talking to anyone at VZW. We all know how unreliable
>> > "official" responses are!
>> >

> I got E815 few days ago. I replaced older motorola phone. I used to,
> from time to time use National Access through data cable on the old
> phone under "National Access Minutes of Use". When I replaced my phone I
> thought I will have to buy new data cable but I was nicely surprised
> that my cable fit E815. The only one problem I encounter was that I did
> not have drivers. I researched motorola and havent been able to find USB
> drivers on their website either so I called Verizon technical support.
> When I told tech support that I need USB driver for E815 I was asked why
> do I need driver for. So, I said that I need internet access from time
> to time and I want to use my new E815 for it .... and now ...
> I heard that this would be VIOLATION OF THE CONTRACT and this is illigal
> ..... I said that this is not true and that in my contract under
> enhanced options I have "National Enhanced SVc Access". I was put on
> hold and after few minutes he told me ... that "we do not support that
> option....there are not drivers for E815 USB cable and NATIONAL Enhanced
> SVS Access is only for accessing internet ON the phone"
>
> I ended up serching internet. I found the driver and I even found out
> that is is possible to use National Access over bluetooth (after few
> tweaks)
>

> AP
August 8, 2005 12:00:08 PM

I wish the question I raised had as simplistic an answer as that provided by
Frankster - "... he got the right answer from me." If anyone else is worried
about losing existing MOU access as a result of buying a new phone, be sure
to check this website:

http://escapees.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/94110...

The comments combine solid unofficial input from a VZW technician, together
with logical presumptions on their ultimate goal. Based on these uncertain
future intentions, I plan to stay grandfathered with my Sammy a530 and enjoy
continued MOU for tethered operation.

Bart

>> I ended up serching internet. I found the driver and I even found out
>> that is is possible to use National Access over bluetooth (after few
>> tweaks)
>>

>> AP
>
> Yes, I know. Same with my VCast EVDO LG VX8000.
>
> The OP asked in here and he got the right answer from me. He did not
> accept it. His prerogative, I know. So all I could do is refer him to
> VZW and let him believe them. Whatever.
>
> -Frank

August 8, 2005 12:16:45 PM

I read that article and there are some inconsistencies in it. Anyway, I've
been receiving free 1xRTT access (~60-80kpbs) since January when I got the
new EVDO phone and AC2 plan with no probs. Prior to this I was using my
LG4400 for 1x MOU.

About Data for sale in general, just a side note: I also currently subscribe
to the T-mobile 29.99/mo high speed data available all around the country at
Starbucks Coffee, Kinko's/FedEx and other places. Since I subscribed to
that service last October, a number of other places now have implemented
FREE COMPLEMENTARY high speed data for laptops. Peaberry's Coffee, Wave Car
Washes, Comfort Inn Hotels, Atlanta Bread Company Deli/Coffee houses, other
hotels, and many more. My *point* is that I believe in the not too distant
future Starbucks will begin providing the current user billed T-mobile
service for free in their establishments, to compete with others in the
industry. I believe, pretty soon, free complimentary high speed data will
be available in virtually all hotels, just like TV! Most hotels have it now
but some still charge a daily fee, like pay movies. When I say soon, I mean
in the next year or two. I personally see NO WAY that VZW or any other
wireless carrier is going to turn this data thing into a pot of gold. There
are simply way to many places beginning to provide it for FREE.

Just my take.

I wouldn't worry about to occasional use of data in VZW. I can't believe
they would shoot themselves in the foot by removing it. Remember, if it
costs minutes you are still not getting it for free. It's all a matter of
the method of collecting a fee.

Another interesting note: Not only am I getting high speed VZW with my
LG8000 tethered to my laptop, but I am not even being charged minutes of
use! It is totally and completely free to me. I imagine this is because I
do pay $5/mo for mobile web. The mobile web does appear in my minutes of
use. But since I have an EVDO phone with no data plan, and since a tethered
3G-1x connection uses the same speed as mobile web (I am told) the charges
simply do not appear anywhere. Not on minutes of use and not as data. They
are completely free. Kinda interesting eh...? This is over a number of
billing cycles now. I dunno...

>I wish the question I raised had as simplistic an answer as that provided
>by Frankster - "... he got the right answer from me." If anyone else is
>worried about losing existing MOU access as a result of buying a new phone,
>be sure to check this website:
>
> http://escapees.infopop.cc/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/94110...
>
> The comments combine solid unofficial input from a VZW technician,
> together with logical presumptions on their ultimate goal. Based on these
> uncertain future intentions, I plan to stay grandfathered with my Sammy
> a530 and enjoy continued MOU for tethered operation.
>
> Bart
>

> "Frankster" <Frank@SPAM2TRASH.com> wrote in message
>>> I ended up serching internet. I found the driver and I even found out
>>> that is is possible to use National Access over bluetooth (after few
>>> tweaks)
>>>

>>> AP
>>
>> Yes, I know. Same with my VCast EVDO LG VX8000.
>>
>> The OP asked in here and he got the right answer from me. He did not
>> accept it. His prerogative, I know. So all I could do is refer him to
>> VZW and let him believe them. Whatever.
>>
>> -Frank

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:07:37 AM

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 17:24:26 -0400, "michael e dziatkowicz"
<mnmma@comcast.net> chose to add this to the great equation of life, the
universe, and everything:

> hopefully when verizon launches here later this year they'll have
>evdo service.

I can't imagine VZW installing new service in an area and not using the
latest technology.

http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
"HUMOR TIP: Canada is funny." - Dave Barry
!