  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
Share
July 31, 2004 11:07:22 AM

One of my machines is running on WinME (yes, I know!) and I'm looking for a
very simple and free firewall to block inbound traffic only. I don't need
logging or any other whistles and bells. I've tried the allegedly stable
4.5 version of Zone Alarm but it created all kinds of problems with other
software so I uninstalled it.

Any suggestions anyone?

Terry

More about : wanted free simple firewall winme

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 31, 2004 11:07:23 AM

On 31 Jul 04 02:07, Terry wrote:

> One of my machines is running on WinME (yes, I know!) and I'm looking
> for a very simple and free firewall to block inbound traffic only. I
> don't need logging or any other whistles and bells. I've tried the
> allegedly stable 4.5 version of Zone Alarm but it created all kinds
> of problems with other software so I uninstalled it.
>
> Any suggestions anyone?

Try Kerio Personal Firewall v2.1.5. I use that for my Win98 box and it
works perfectly for my needs.

What you want would require one setting: Block inbound to all ports from
all ports on all IPs via TCP and UDP. (It actually is easier to do than
it looks.)
--
Zarggg
KeyID: 0x6425C4ED

Thanks Zargg. I was considering Kerio but v2.1.5 is no longer available
from Kerio's website. Any suggestions for a reliable alternative download
site?

Terry
a b 8 Security
July 31, 2004 12:28:50 PM

In article <29yx0u2vwx70.g07dps8jmp52.dlg@40tude.net>, me@privacy.net
says...

> Thanks Zargg. I was considering Kerio but v2.1.5 is no longer available
> from Kerio's website. Any suggestions for a reliable alternative download
> site?

It's still available from Kerio's site. Try this link...

http://download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/

--
Kerodo
July 31, 2004 4:14:16 PM

On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 01:10:18 -0700, Kerodo wrote:

> It's still available from Kerio's site. Try this link...
>
> http://download.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/

Thanks for the link, Kerodo.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 2, 2004 10:50:18 AM

Terry <me@privacy.net> wrote in

> One of my machines is running on WinME (yes, I know!) and I'm looking
> for a very simple and free firewall to block inbound traffic only. I
> don't need logging or any other whistles and bells. I've tried the
> allegedly stable 4.5 version of Zone Alarm but it created all kinds of
> problems with other software so I uninstalled it.
>
> Any suggestions anyone?
>
> Terry

Installation Instructions

For best effect, install the firewall between the CPU unit and the
wall outlet. Place the jaws of the firewall across the power cord, and
bear down firmly. Be sure to wear rubber gloves while installing the
firewall or assign the task to a junior system manager ;-) If the
firewall is installed properly, all the lights on the CPU will turn dark
and the fans will grow quiet. This indicates that the system has entered
a secure state..

For Internet use, install the firewall between the demarcation point
of the T1 to the Internet. Place the jaws of the firewall across the T1
line lead, and bear down firmly. When your Internet service provider's
network operations center calls to inform you that they have lost
connectivity to your site, the firewall is correctly installed.
If I had a dollar....If I had a dollar for every time I've seen
someone post "I need a 100% secure firewall, that lets me do everything"
I'd be retired by now.

The fact is, that if you're connecting your network to anything else,
you're running a risk. Period. Usually, that risk can be reduced, often
dramatically, by employing basic security precautions such as firewalls.
But a firewall is a risk reduction system, it is not a risk mitigation
system -- there is, always, some danger that something can go fatally
wrong with anything built by humans.

The firewall above is the only 100% guaranteed secure solution.
!