will a pci video card work on a AGP motherboard?

I'm building a new computer , intel P4 3ghz, the motherboard has an AGP
slot for a video card. I've got a new (blank HD) , win 2k install CD in
the cd drive. And a good (pulled out of an existing win2k system) (but
old) diamond stealth 16meg PCI video card in one of the slots. I turn
on the computer, no video signal at all. The cd drive starts and stops
and acts like it's reading the cd just fine. My question is, is my
motherboard dead? or does it require an AGP video card? Shouldn't a PCI
video card work? or does it need some kind of bios settings. thanks,
2 answers Last reply
More about will video card work motherboard

    stevemcl wrote:

    > I'm building a new computer , intel P4 3ghz, the motherboard has an AGP
    > slot for a video card. I've got a new (blank HD) , win 2k install CD in
    > the cd drive. And a good (pulled out of an existing win2k system) (but
    > old) diamond stealth 16meg PCI video card in one of the slots. I turn
    > on the computer, no video signal at all. The cd drive starts and stops
    > and acts like it's reading the cd just fine. My question is, is my
    > motherboard dead? or does it require an AGP video card? Shouldn't a PCI
    > video card work? or does it need some kind of bios settings. thanks,

    Probably needs a BIOS setting. I find it annoying that the designers these
    days don't put "reasonable" default behavior in the system.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    stevemcl typed this:

    > I'm building a new computer , intel P4 3ghz, the motherboard has an AGP
    > slot for a video card. I've got a new (blank HD) , win 2k install CD in
    > the cd drive. And a good (pulled out of an existing win2k system) (but
    > old) diamond stealth 16meg PCI video card in one of the slots. I turn
    > on the computer, no video signal at all. The cd drive starts and stops
    > and acts like it's reading the cd just fine. My question is, is my
    > motherboard dead? or does it require an AGP video card? Shouldn't a PCI
    > video card work? or does it need some kind of bios settings. thanks,

    The bios setting is from the BIOS page on boot, usually a DEL key
    depress brings you into the BIOS screen. You need to be VERY careful
    there as you can really muck up the works. Just open each page and read
    it, do NOT change anything... at some point you will see a SELECTION
    that indicates 'boot priority' for VIDEO, usuall a choice between PCI
    and AGP... set yours for PCI... in addition, YOU MAY have a built in AGP
    chipset that needs to be 'disabled' , BUT first see if this one change
    will help you... BTW, changing the 'setting' methods differ from BiOS
    to BIOS.. just look at the bottom of the screen for 'directions on
    changing' the 'setting', often just a page up or page down key or
    a plus or minus key - but read it... CHANGE ONLY that setting and when
    asked if you want to EXIT and SAVE, say YES or Y... see if that helps.

    --
    Rich "Doc" Colley

    mailto: pc-dc-doc@nospam.comcast.net

Graphics Cards Motherboards Graphics