1280x768 (16:9) in a LowProfile PCI card?

I just got a Sony SDM-V72W wide aspect monitor which has a native resolution
of 1280x768. My computer has integrated video (Intel), but it can be turned
off. I do not have AGP slot on the motherboard. So, I am looking for a
LowProfile PCI card which can support this wide aspect resolution. Any
ideas?

Thanks.

Charlie
charlier@fuse.net

> Charlie Rubenstein <charlier26@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just got a Sony SDM-V72W wide aspect monitor which
> has a native resolution of 1280x768. My computer has
> integrated video (Intel), ...

Any chance there's a tweak util for declaring a w/s
aspect ratio?

> So, I am looking for a LowProfile PCI card which can
> support this wide aspect resolution. Any ideas?

As long as you don't need state-of-the-art 3D perf,
all Matrox cards back to the G200 can run wide, and
many are available in PCI, some in LP-PCI.

The Matrox site nav is useless, so use your favorite
search engine, restricted to www.matrox.com.
Search on "low-profile" and "pci".

Charlie Rubenstein wrote:

> I just got a Sony SDM-V72W wide aspect monitor which has a native
> resolution of 1280x768. My computer has integrated video (Intel), but it
> can be turned off. I do not have AGP slot on the motherboard. So, I am
> looking for a LowProfile PCI card which can support this wide aspect
> resolution. Any ideas?

Download the latest Intel drivers and Powerstrip
<http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm>. Powerstrip doesn't let you
directly define a custom resolution for the Intel video, but it does let
you define a custom inf file for your monitor, which you should be able to
use to set the resolution you need.

If it doesn't work it hasn't cost you anything except some time.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

If that is what Powerstrip does, I already have an inf file from Sony for
the monitor. I haven't used it. Would THAT allow the Intel board to display
the right resolution?

Charlie Rubenstein wrote:

> If that is what Powerstrip does, I already have an inf file from Sony for
> the monitor. I haven't used it. Would THAT allow the Intel board to
> display the right resolution?

It should. The board has to know what resolutions the monitor supports,
otherwise it defaults to the "standards". Make sure you're using the
latest reference driver for the video though.

Charlie Rubenstein wrote:

> If that is what Powerstrip does, I already have an inf file from Sony for
> the monitor. I haven't used it. Would THAT allow the Intel board to
> display the right resolution?

That's not the _only_ thing Powerstrip does, but it's one of them.
Certainly try the .inf file.

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> Charlie Rubenstein wrote:
>>
>> > I just got a Sony SDM-V72W wide aspect monitor which has a native
>> > resolution of 1280x768. My computer has integrated video (Intel), but
>> > it can be turned off. I do not have AGP slot on the motherboard. So, I
>> > am looking for a LowProfile PCI card which can support this wide aspect
>> > resolution. Any ideas?
>>
>> Download the latest Intel drivers and Powerstrip
>> <http://entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm>. Powerstrip doesn't let you
>> directly define a custom resolution for the Intel video, but it does let
>> you define a custom inf file for your monitor, which you should be able
>> to use to set the resolution you need.
>>
>> If it doesn't work it hasn't cost you anything except some time.
>>
>> > Thanks.
>> >
>> > Charlie
>> > charlier@fuse.net
>>
>> --
>> --John
>> Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
>> (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate