Yet another graphics card question

The graphics card that I once upon a time got with my computer - 16MB
ATI Rage 128 Ultra - is unfortunately inadequate these days for some
games I'd like to play. I have my eye on ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB,
which can be had at a reasonable price. So my question for the experts
is, does this seem like a reasonable choice, given that the computer
is a 1.70GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of memory?
4 answers Last reply
More about graphics card question

    "Torkel Franzen" <torkel@sm.luth.se> wrote in message
    > The graphics card that I once upon a time got with my computer - 16MB
    > ATI Rage 128 Ultra - is unfortunately inadequate these days for some
    > games I'd like to play. I have my eye on ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB,
    > which can be had at a reasonable price. So my question for the experts
    > is, does this seem like a reasonable choice, given that the computer
    > is a 1.70GHz Pentium 4 with 512 MB of memory?

    The 9800 Pro is an excellent card. It'll smoke the pants off your old Rage!
    It's an upgrade you'll be happy with, IMO. Next you'll have to start
    thinking about that MoBo and CPU. :)

    Kev

    "KevinM" <yeah@right.com> writes:

    > The 9800 Pro is an excellent card. It'll smoke the pants off your old Rage!
    > It's an upgrade you'll be happy with, IMO. Next you'll have to start
    > thinking about that MoBo and CPU. :)

    Well, that's what I was wondering about. Is it overkill, given a
    1.70GHz Pentium 4, to use the 9800 Pro?
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Torkel Franzen <torkel@sm.luth.se> wrote:

    >"KevinM" <yeah@right.com> writes:
    >
    >> The 9800 Pro is an excellent card. It'll smoke the pants off your old Rage!
    >> It's an upgrade you'll be happy with, IMO. Next you'll have to start
    >> thinking about that MoBo and CPU. :)
    >
    > Well, that's what I was wondering about. Is it overkill, given a
    >1.70GHz Pentium 4, to use the 9800 Pro?

    I would say it's about perfect, getting an XT800 or better would be
    overkill as you would get CPU bound on a lot of games but a 9800 Pro is a
    nice balance.

    Andy
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Andy@nospam.co.uk" <me@privacy.net> writes:

    > I would say it's about perfect, getting an XT800 or better would be
    > overkill as you would get CPU bound on a lot of games but a 9800 Pro is a
    > nice balance.

    Thanks for the confirmation.

Graphics Cards ATI Graphics Product