Boot Sequence

I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the boot
sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom, and 4.
network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How do i get
it to startup normal again.
Thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about boot sequence

    1. 1st IDE device

    Ty

    "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
    >CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the boot
    >sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom, and
    >4. network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How do i
    >get it to startup normal again.
    > Thanks

    I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem. They
    walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried setting
    each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
    and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time the
    response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway recommended
    that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the problem
    if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
    files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks

    "Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
    > 1. 1st IDE device
    >
    > Ty
    >

    > "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
    >>CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the
    >>boot sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom,
    >>and 4. network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How
    >>do i get it to startup normal again.
    >> Thanks

    Gateway tech support gave you bad advice. No way no how will reformatting solve
    the problem. Sheesh! Talk about incompetence.

    There are a couple of possibilities here for what went wrong:

    1. The C2032 3v lithium battery has lost or is losing its charge, and cannot
    keep the motherboard settings charged up in CMOS. Replace the battery. They
    cost no more than 2 or 3 bucks.

    2. Some information is "stuck" in the non-volatile RAM, different from CMOS,
    where other system settings are kept. The BIOS should have a reset NVRAM
    option.

    3. The most dire possibility is that the NVRAM is part of a now-failed flash
    memory chip. The motherboard flash memory chip has an area reserved for the
    BIOS program which runs when the system starts up. It has another area reserved
    for the Windows (Linux too!) Plug-and-Play information. Every time Windows
    boots up, it rewrites the PnP info, whether it has changed or not. This has the
    effect of wearing out the flash memory chip, which can endure only a few hundred
    thousand write operations.

    A G6-350 system is old enough that its flash chip could have failed. Unlikely,
    but possible.

    Replace the battery, reset all settings to their BIOS defaults, and see what
    happens... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Sunshine"
    <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem. They
    >walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried setting
    >each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
    >and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time the
    >response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway recommended
    >that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the problem
    >if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
    >files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks
    >
    >"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
    >> 1. 1st IDE device
    >>
    >> Ty
    >>

    >> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
    >>>CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the
    >>>boot sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom,
    >>>and 4. network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How
    >>>do i get it to startup normal again.
    >>> Thanks

    Thanks Ben...will replace battery.
    > Gateway tech support gave you bad advice. No way no how will reformatting
    > solve
    > the problem. Sheesh! Talk about incompetence.
    >
    > There are a couple of possibilities here for what went wrong:
    >
    > 1. The C2032 3v lithium battery has lost or is losing its charge, and
    > cannot
    > keep the motherboard settings charged up in CMOS. Replace the battery.
    > They
    > cost no more than 2 or 3 bucks.
    >
    > 2. Some information is "stuck" in the non-volatile RAM, different from
    > CMOS,
    > where other system settings are kept. The BIOS should have a reset NVRAM
    > option.
    >
    > 3. The most dire possibility is that the NVRAM is part of a now-failed
    > flash
    > memory chip. The motherboard flash memory chip has an area reserved for
    > the
    > BIOS program which runs when the system starts up. It has another area
    > reserved
    > for the Windows (Linux too!) Plug-and-Play information. Every time
    > Windows
    > boots up, it rewrites the PnP info, whether it has changed or not. This
    > has the
    > effect of wearing out the flash memory chip, which can endure only a few
    > hundred
    > thousand write operations.
    >
    > A G6-350 system is old enough that its flash chip could have failed.
    > Unlikely,
    > but possible.
    >
    > Replace the battery, reset all settings to their BIOS defaults, and see
    > what
    > happens... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Sunshine"
    > <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem. They
    >>walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried setting
    >>each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
    >>and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time
    >>the
    >>response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway
    >>recommended
    >>that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the
    >>problem
    >>if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
    >>files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks
    >>
    >>"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
    >>> 1. 1st IDE device
    >>>
    >>> Ty
    >>>

    >>> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    I went into Advance in the Bios Setup Utility, IDE Drive configuration and
    set everything to auto and the system started up properly. I also changed
    the battery. Thanks for your help
    > Thanks Ben...will replace battery.
    > <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
    >> Gateway tech support gave you bad advice. No way no how will
    >> reformatting solve
    >> the problem. Sheesh! Talk about incompetence.
    >>
    >> There are a couple of possibilities here for what went wrong:
    >>
    >> 1. The C2032 3v lithium battery has lost or is losing its charge, and
    >> cannot
    >> keep the motherboard settings charged up in CMOS. Replace the battery.
    >> They
    >> cost no more than 2 or 3 bucks.
    >>
    >> 2. Some information is "stuck" in the non-volatile RAM, different from
    >> CMOS,
    >> where other system settings are kept. The BIOS should have a reset NVRAM
    >> option.
    >>
    >> 3. The most dire possibility is that the NVRAM is part of a now-failed
    >> flash
    >> memory chip. The motherboard flash memory chip has an area reserved for
    >> the
    >> BIOS program which runs when the system starts up. It has another area
    >> reserved
    >> for the Windows (Linux too!) Plug-and-Play information. Every time
    >> Windows
    >> boots up, it rewrites the PnP info, whether it has changed or not. This
    >> has the
    >> effect of wearing out the flash memory chip, which can endure only a few
    >> hundred
    >> thousand write operations.
    >>
    >> A G6-350 system is old enough that its flash chip could have failed.
    >> Unlikely,
    >> but possible.
    >>
    >> Replace the battery, reset all settings to their BIOS defaults, and see
    >> what
    >> happens... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Sunshine"
    >> <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem.
    >>>They
    >>>walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried
    >>>setting
    >>>each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
    >>>and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time
    >>>the
    >>>response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway
    >>>recommended
    >>>that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the
    >>>problem
    >>>if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
    >>>files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks
    >>>
    >>>"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message

Gateway Floppy Disk Boot CD-Rom Computers