What PCI Express dual-DVI card to buy for non-gaming/graph..

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I'm putting together a system based on an HP xw4200 workstation and two
HP L1955 TFT DVI monitors and am looking for recommendations on a
suitable graphics card.

The xw4200 has a PCI Express (x16) graphics slot (plus two PCI Express
(x1) slots) and I'd like to find a suitable graphics card for it. I'm
not into gaming or heavy graphics use, in fact I'll primarily use this
system for development work (primarily in Windows XP, with Linux now and
then) doing a mix of console and Java Swing applications. I figure a
decent 2D (or entry-level 3D) card should suffice. Furthermore, I would
prefer a card that has two DVI connectors (so I don't have to use VGA
adapters) and that is reasonably quiet.

The ones I have been looking at so far are the XFX GeForce 6600 GT, the
PowerColor RADEON X800 XL, and the ATI FireGL V3200. All are, as far as
I can tell, overkill for my use. :-) The XFX card is also reportedly
quite noisy (but perhaps it can be modified to use a quieter fan?).

If you can recommend any cards I should consider, or have any pointers
to good resources, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

-Kaare
8 answers Last reply
More about what express dual card gaming graph
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Hi,

    Two questions:

    1. If you're not planning on any gaming/graphics-intensive use, wouldn't
    *any* PCIe card be overkill? (You might find that a PCI card gives you the
    same responsiveness, and at a much cheaper price).

    2. Given identical monitors, is there likely to be a noticeable difference
    between one that's driven across DVI and one that's driven across VGA? If
    not, then something along the lines of a Radeon 9250 might be a good choice.

    The Pine GeForce 6600 is also something to look at -- PCIe, dual-DVI, and at
    $130, you don't have to cut back to 2 meals a day. :-)

    Good Luck!

    "Kaare Digernes" <kaared@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm putting together a system based on an HP xw4200 workstation and two
    > HP L1955 TFT DVI monitors and am looking for recommendations on a
    > suitable graphics card.
    >
    > The xw4200 has a PCI Express (x16) graphics slot (plus two PCI Express
    > (x1) slots) and I'd like to find a suitable graphics card for it. I'm
    > not into gaming or heavy graphics use, in fact I'll primarily use this
    > system for development work (primarily in Windows XP, with Linux now and
    > then) doing a mix of console and Java Swing applications. I figure a
    > decent 2D (or entry-level 3D) card should suffice. Furthermore, I would
    > prefer a card that has two DVI connectors (so I don't have to use VGA
    > adapters) and that is reasonably quiet.
    >
    > The ones I have been looking at so far are the XFX GeForce 6600 GT, the
    > PowerColor RADEON X800 XL, and the ATI FireGL V3200. All are, as far as
    > I can tell, overkill for my use. :-) The XFX card is also reportedly
    > quite noisy (but perhaps it can be modified to use a quieter fan?).
    >
    > If you can recommend any cards I should consider, or have any pointers
    > to good resources, I'd greatly appreciate it!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > -Kaare
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Michael David Garrison wrote:

    > 1. If you're not planning on any gaming/graphics-intensive use, wouldn't
    > *any* PCIe card be overkill? (You might find that a PCI card gives you the
    > same responsiveness, and at a much cheaper price).

    That's a good point. I figured that the price difference between a good
    2D card and a decent 3D card (with good 2D performance) would be nominal
    and that the 3D performance would benefit from PCIe. Just in case I
    should break down and play an occasional game. ;-) I'll see what PCI
    cards are out there. Thanks for the tip!

    > 2. Given identical monitors, is there likely to be a noticeable difference
    > between one that's driven across DVI and one that's driven across VGA? If
    > not, then something along the lines of a Radeon 9250 might be a good choice.

    The reason is that I read a review where the reviewer commented on some
    ghosting on the HP monitor when used with a VGA adapter so I thought I'd
    eliminate the risk altogether. I don't think the performance itself will
    be affected at all.

    > The Pine GeForce 6600 is also something to look at -- PCIe, dual-DVI, and at
    > $130, you don't have to cut back to 2 meals a day. :-)

    Hmm, I tried finding this card, but all I could find was the 256 MB
    version and it still had DVI+VGA and not DVI+DVI. And at a slightly
    higher price ($140-150, no big deal). Do you remember where you saw it?
    I checked the Pine/XFX web site and the picture and the description
    leads me to believe it's a DVI+VGA card. I hope I'm wrong, because this
    sounds like it could fit the bill nicely! :-)

    Thanks for your help, Michael, I appreciate it!

    -Kaare
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Hey,

    This looks like the link to Pine Technologies' graphics cards (they list
    several as being dual-DVI): http://www.xfxforce.com/products.php

    (It looks like the model number PVT43GNDF7 -- a Geforce 6600GT model -- is
    their lowest dual-DVI model... and I have just accomplished the boggling
    feat of telling you what you already knew per your first post -- a lot of
    good I'm doing, lol!)

    I found that GeForce6600 card by going to Pricescan.com and doing a search
    on graphics adapters (Mfr = Pine, Bus Type = PCI Exp). Pricescan said that
    it's dual-DVI, but that disagrees with what the manufacturer says.

    For what it's worth, I'm running a dual-monitor setup, though with different
    monitors; and like you, I'm not that big into 3D graphics. However, it's
    nice to have the speed if I want it later, and the card I chose -- an AIW
    X600 Pro -- wasn't horribly expensive (and I need to lose a little weight
    anyway!)

    Good luck getting your rig set up!

    > Michael David Garrison wrote:
    >
    > > 1. If you're not planning on any gaming/graphics-intensive use,
    wouldn't
    > > *any* PCIe card be overkill? (You might find that a PCI card gives you
    the
    > > same responsiveness, and at a much cheaper price).
    >
    > That's a good point. I figured that the price difference between a good
    > 2D card and a decent 3D card (with good 2D performance) would be nominal
    > and that the 3D performance would benefit from PCIe. Just in case I
    > should break down and play an occasional game. ;-) I'll see what PCI
    > cards are out there. Thanks for the tip!
    >
    > > 2. Given identical monitors, is there likely to be a noticeable
    difference
    > > between one that's driven across DVI and one that's driven across VGA?
    If
    > > not, then something along the lines of a Radeon 9250 might be a good
    choice.

    > The reason is that I read a review where the reviewer commented on some
    > ghosting on the HP monitor when used with a VGA adapter so I thought I'd
    > eliminate the risk altogether. I don't think the performance itself will
    > be affected at all.
    >
    > > The Pine GeForce 6600 is also something to look at -- PCIe, dual-DVI,
    and at
    > > $130, you don't have to cut back to 2 meals a day. :-)
    >
    > Hmm, I tried finding this card, but all I could find was the 256 MB
    > version and it still had DVI+VGA and not DVI+DVI. And at a slightly
    > higher price ($140-150, no big deal). Do you remember where you saw it?
    > I checked the Pine/XFX web site and the picture and the description
    > leads me to believe it's a DVI+VGA card. I hope I'm wrong, because this
    > sounds like it could fit the bill nicely! :-)
    >
    > Thanks for your help, Michael, I appreciate it!
    >
    > -Kaare
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    This one may be of interest to you:
    Mfg spec
    http://www.pny.com/products/quadro/nvs/280Nvsagp.asp
    One source
    http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?cart_id=2414550_138_88_133_12&Pagecode=SEARCH_ALL&Item_code=VIDR_PNYX_PC_51&USER_ID=www
    Note that dual DVD-I cable is approx $50 extra
    "Michael David Garrison" <mdgarrison@comcast.net> wrote in message news:crSdneyM29nySmfcRVn-2w@comcast.com...
    > Hey,
    >
    > This looks like the link to Pine Technologies' graphics cards (they list
    > several as being dual-DVI): http://www.xfxforce.com/products.php
    >
    > (It looks like the model number PVT43GNDF7 -- a Geforce 6600GT model -- is
    > their lowest dual-DVI model... and I have just accomplished the boggling
    > feat of telling you what you already knew per your first post -- a lot of
    > good I'm doing, lol!)
    >
    > I found that GeForce6600 card by going to Pricescan.com and doing a search
    > on graphics adapters (Mfr = Pine, Bus Type = PCI Exp). Pricescan said that
    > it's dual-DVI, but that disagrees with what the manufacturer says.
    >
    > For what it's worth, I'm running a dual-monitor setup, though with different
    > monitors; and like you, I'm not that big into 3D graphics. However, it's
    > nice to have the speed if I want it later, and the card I chose -- an AIW
    > X600 Pro -- wasn't horribly expensive (and I need to lose a little weight
    > anyway!)
    >
    > Good luck getting your rig set up!
    >

    > "Kaare Digernes" <kaared@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Michael David Garrison wrote:
    >>
    >> > 1. If you're not planning on any gaming/graphics-intensive use,
    > wouldn't
    >> > *any* PCIe card be overkill? (You might find that a PCI card gives you
    > the
    >> > same responsiveness, and at a much cheaper price).
    >>
    >> That's a good point. I figured that the price difference between a good
    >> 2D card and a decent 3D card (with good 2D performance) would be nominal
    >> and that the 3D performance would benefit from PCIe. Just in case I
    >> should break down and play an occasional game. ;-) I'll see what PCI
    >> cards are out there. Thanks for the tip!
    >>
    >> > 2. Given identical monitors, is there likely to be a noticeable
    > difference
    >> > between one that's driven across DVI and one that's driven across VGA?
    > If
    >> > not, then something along the lines of a Radeon 9250 might be a good
    > choice.
    >>
    >> The reason is that I read a review where the reviewer commented on some
    >> ghosting on the HP monitor when used with a VGA adapter so I thought I'd
    >> eliminate the risk altogether. I don't think the performance itself will
    >> be affected at all.
    >>
    >> > The Pine GeForce 6600 is also something to look at -- PCIe, dual-DVI,
    > and at
    >> > $130, you don't have to cut back to 2 meals a day. :-)
    >>
    >> Hmm, I tried finding this card, but all I could find was the 256 MB
    >> version and it still had DVI+VGA and not DVI+DVI. And at a slightly
    >> higher price ($140-150, no big deal). Do you remember where you saw it?
    >> I checked the Pine/XFX web site and the picture and the description
    >> leads me to believe it's a DVI+VGA card. I hope I'm wrong, because this
    >> sounds like it could fit the bill nicely! :-)
    >>
    >> Thanks for your help, Michael, I appreciate it!
    >>
    >> -Kaare

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    Stuart wrote:

    > This one may be of interest to you:
    > Mfg spec
    > http://www.pny.com/products/quadro/nvs/280Nvsagp.asp

    Now just how is he going to put that in his HP workstation that has no AGP
    slot?

    > One source

    http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?cart_id=2414550_138_88_133_12&Pagecode=SEARCH_ALL&Item_code=VIDR_PNYX_PC_51&USER_ID=www

    Which raises the price of that board to the same range as a PCI-Express
    6600GT.

    The OP might want to go over to Newegg and select "Video Cards" off the
    "shop for" menu and then "2" under Ports-DVI and that will give him an idea
    of what's available. Lots of PCI Express 6600-family boards in the 200-250
    price range.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    J. Clarke wrote:

    > The OP might want to go over to Newegg and select "Video Cards" off the
    > "shop for" menu and then "2" under Ports-DVI and that will give him an idea
    > of what's available. Lots of PCI Express 6600-family boards in the 200-250
    > price range.

    That's a good idea and I actually did that before the original post. The
    search resulted in 3 cards which are about $300 or less:

    1. PNY nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT (OEM $196 or retail $205)
    2. ATI FireGL V3200 (OEM $295 or retail $303)
    3. XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT (retail $188, not in stock)

    The XFX card has some good reviews, but I've also read complaints about
    it being noisy hence my concern in the original post. The ATI card seems
    like my best bet for now, but it's pricier than the XFX.

    Searching for "2 DVI" and "PCI" yields only one result, the PNY nVIDIA
    Quadro FX600, which is priced at $619.50 (too much).

    At this point I'm tempted to try the XFX card. If it's too noisy I'll
    just return it and get the ATI card.

    Thanks for your input, guys, it's greatly appreciated!

    -Kaare
  7. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    > Kaare Digernes <kaared@gmail.com> wrote:

    > 1. PNY nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT (OEM $196 or retail $205)
    > 2. ATI FireGL V3200 (OEM $295 or retail $303)
    > 3. XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT (retail $188, not in stock)

    Matrox is supposed to have a PCIe Parhelia out soon,
    but it appears that it will be ~$350 street, and
    includes features, capabilities and software that
    may not be a match for what the OP wants.

    It surely will meet the "non-gaming" requirement :-)

    Some details at:
    <http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20041212020043.html>

    My guess would be that as PCIe becomes pervasive, Matrox
    will port some of their lower-price G- and/or P-series
    graphics to lower-price PCIe cards. I'd guess we'll not
    see anything cheap from Matrox until late Q2/05 at the earliest.

  8. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote in message news:ctg34u0qt6@news1.newsguy.com...
    > Stuart wrote:
    >
    >> This one may be of interest to you:
    >> Mfg spec
    >> http://www.pny.com/products/quadro/nvs/280Nvsagp.asp
    >
    > Now just how is he going to put that in his HP workstation that has no AGP
    > slot?

    You are correct. I gave the link for the agp rarther than the PCIe version specs but the source link was for PCIe

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics