I think a "Real PC Manual for San Andreas" would be helpful.

A lot of the posts at the moment seem to be from people asking about
controls for the PC version of SA. IMHO this might be down to the manual
being a triumph of style over content.

Does anyone know where there's a better version?

It would be helpful if there was a table layout listing each control, and
then telling you what it does in different situations. For example, turning
left in a plane whilst taxiing is actually "look left" in the controls., but
this doesn't get a mention anywhere in the manual.

I wonder if someone with more spare time than me has already put something
together?

Chris Wright wrote:
> A lot of the posts at the moment seem to be from people asking about
> controls for the PC version of SA.

I'm still learning the keys as I go through the missions. Newbies
may not have figured out the obvious way to hunt for the correct keys.
This turned into a much longer post than I had anticipated and I
probably skipped some stuff anyway. You can search for the feature you
are having trouble with.

When you start the game, after hitting a couple of space bars to get
past the opening screens, the Main Menu appears which gives you get
three options: Start Game, Options, Quit Game. Left Click on Options.
You can also use ESC in the game to get back to the Pause Menu: Resume,
Start New Game, Map, Stats, Brief, Options, Quit Game. This is about
the Options menu.

The Options Menu has four choices: Controller Setup, Audio Setup,
Display Setup, Language.

Controller Setup has four more options: Configuration, Redefine
Controls, Mouse Settings, Restore Defaults. The adjustment hints at
the lower right of the screen (sometimes at the top) are pithy and
cryptic, but read them very carefully if you are having trouble.
Sometimes you click on a choice, sometimes you use the mousewheel,
sometimes you need to hit backspace, sometimes you need to confirm with
Enter. It is very easy to get this wrong and get stuck. If you get
stuck actually read the whole screen. I know you have programmed
yourself to skip most of it.

Redefine Controls brings you to another menu (Controller Setup) with
two choices: Foot Controls and Vehicle Controls. Note the hints at the
bottom: Backspace - Clear, Click LMB/Return - Change This are the
meat and potatoes menus of game playing controls. It is kind of tricky
to use.

Mouse Settings has four choices: Mouse Sensitivity, Invert Mouse
Vertically, Steer With Mouse, Fly With Mouse. Invert Mouse Vertically
controls the View Tilt Forward/Back on foot and in vehicles. Changing
this allowed me to make GTAIII, Vice City and San Andreas work the
same. It was very difficult playing all three games when the defaults
were set differently. A great option.

Audio Setup has six choices: Radio, SFX, Radio Eq, Radio Auto Tune,
User Track Options, Radio Station.

User Tracks Options has three choices: Play Mode, Automatic Media Scan,
Scan User Tracks.

User Track Options allows you to add MP3s. Read the instructions
carefully. "To play your own music in game - create short cuts to
your music tracks in the "User Tracks Folder". Scan User Tracks is
used after you have placed these shortcuts, so the game with notice
them.

Display Setup has eight options: Brightness, Legend, Radar Mode, HUD
Mode, Subtitles, Store Gallery Photos, Advanced, Restore Defaults.
Restore Defaults generally restores defaults limited to the menu you
are in, use at your own risk.

Advanced brings up a Display Menu with seven options: Draw Distance,
Frame Limiter,
Widescreen, Visual FX Quality, MIP Mapping, Anti-Aliasing, Resolution.
Resolution is screen resolution in pixels wide and high. Note the
hint: Left/Right/Mouse Wheel to Adjust. Then "Click LMB/Return -
Apply new Settings. Clicking on resolution with LMB does nothing. You
need to do both actions. I would do this before starting the game, not
after you have started it and ESC'ed out.

Language has two choices, English or Spanish (Buenos Dias!)

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 13:32:32 +0100, "Chris Wright" <nospam@chris.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone know where there's a better version?

Not to be smartass, just write one. Or, write a list of details that
are important to you.

I always put together my own "walkthrough" document when I get a new
game. I do this by locating the best (most complete) versions on the
net. I combine the best parts from each. Then I flesh it out with
details that I think are important. I began the process of building
my composite several months before with the PS2 versions of
walkthroughs and maps.

It only takes a couple of minutes to add a new paragraph or statement
to an existing document. So I make updates when I have located new
details about the game.

Yesterday, I found the following by accident that there is a
triathalon event at Fisher's Lagoon. A couple of minutes is all it
took to update my walkthrough to write a section about the triathalon.

>I wonder if someone with more spare time than me has already put something
>together?

It doesn't take a lot of time, if you steal from the start and add
bits as you locate them.

Sorry, the answer is no. I could not possibly upload my composite SA
walkthrough since I did not create it, so please don't ask. Besides
most of the cryptic notes are my use.

Chris Wright wrote:
> A lot of the posts at the moment seem to be from people asking about
> controls for the PC version of SA. IMHO this might be down to the manual
> being a triumph of style over content.

Well since you mention it.. here's another one for ya! My homies often
ask me to 'give them some love' and similar things that look like they
want a 'high 5'. They even seem to have their hands up ready for it. I
tried the tab key (the one you use to kiss denise) but that doesn't
work. Is there a 'high five' key?

btw. I came a cropper when trying to give flowers to denise the first
time. As they appear in the weapon list I guessed maybe you use the
fire button to hand them over. Instead I whacked her round the face
with them, date over. They can actually be suprisingly effective
against cops etc, bit like the spray can.

Oh another one... you know the guys in orange with a number on their
shirt? Are they part of a gang? I had presumed not but today I saw a
car load of them doing a driveby on the ballas.

By the way, anyone popped the black woman with the purple writing on
her shirt thinking she was a balla? Or the construction guy - that
yellow hard hat looks a bit like a vagos headband at a distance. Oops,
sorry bud.

TWJ