Fat32

Can a fat32 hard drive in windows xp be converted to NTFS without losing any
data, having to reformating and/or reinstall programs?
1 answer Last reply
More about fat32

    On 25 Oct 2004 19:57:40 GMT, ccrlyles@aol.com (Ccrlyles) wrote:

    >Can a fat32 hard drive in windows xp be converted to NTFS without losing any
    >data, having to reformating and/or reinstall programs?

    Yes

    Here is command

    C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxx>convert /?
    Converts FAT volumes to NTFS.

    CONVERT volume /FS:NTFS [/V] [/CvtArea:filename] [/NoSecurity] [/X]

    volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
    mount point, or volume name.
    /FS:NTFS Specifies that the volume is to be converted to NTFS.
    /V Specifies that Convert should be run in verbose mode.
    /CvtArea:filename
    Specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be
    the place holder for NTFS system files.
    /NoSecurity Specifies the converted files and directories security
    settings to be accessible by everyone.
    /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
    All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

    Only problem with this is that it only gives you a cluster size of 512
    bytes - which to my mind to too small - so I ended up starting from
    scratch anyway so I could get a more realistiic 4kb cluster size.

    I think products like partition magic can do it.

    Make sure you back up first though - just in case it all goes pear
    shaped.

    HTH
    Cheers

Gateway FAT32 Hard Drives Windows XP Computers