Sony SDM-P234/B vs. Apple 23" Cinema

How do they compare? Presumably they use the same guts (from Phillips?).
I read a review and they rate the Apple a bit higher, better color
continuity, etc. possibly due to brighter back lit? I am interested in
the Sony because it's cheaper. Should I go with Apple instead? Thx.
4 answers Last reply
More about sony p234 apple cinema

    > chris <someone@somewhere.net> wrote:

    > Presumably they use the same guts (from Phillips?).

    If the Sony uses the same LG-Philips LM230W02 module that's
    reportedly in the hp FPDs (and I don't know that it is), then
    the HP 23"s would be worth a look just based on price. The
    hp L2235 (P9615A) is apt to be several hundred $ cheaper.

    Note, however, that this panel does have a reputation of
    poor grayscale tracking (pinkish light grays). People have
    complained about color management issues on the Apple 23
    as well, although this may now be corrected. I'm not sure
    I'd recommend any LCD for critical color work.

    As always, make sure your graphics card can do 1920x1200
    with the reduced blanking required to stay within the
    capabilities of a single DVI-D link (unless you plan to
    hookup in analog(VGA) mode, which I wouldn't recommend.

    I'd also suggest avoiding refurbished LCDs. Factory-new
    LCDs can be visually defect free, but the brands permit
    themselves to sell you a panel with (typically) 5-to-8
    duff pixels. The chances of getting stuck/hot/dead pixels
    may be much higher with a monitor that someone else might
    have already rejected.

    "chris" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message

    How do they compare? Presumably they use the same guts (from Phillips?). I
    read a review and they rate the Apple a bit higher, better color continuity,
    etc. possibly due to brighter back lit? I am interested in the Sony because
    it's cheaper. Should I go with Apple instead? Thx.

    I have an HP 2335 and it is fantastic. I went out and visually compared the
    Sony, Apple , HP and Samsung. The Sony and the Samsung had great features,
    but didn't seem as bright or as crisp (moving image transitions/ghosting).
    This brought me to the Apple and the HP. After looking at the options and
    inputs the HP was a far away winner and the cheapest of the bunch.

    I do a lot of graphic design and paste up work and I keep a process color
    manual at my side to verify color and the variation has been so slight that
    I've only needed to adjust colors a few times.

    If you go with the HP make sure you get the 16ms screen and not the 23ms
    screen they intro'd the monitor with. I recommend buying direct from HP as
    some online stores say 16ms and then you get shipped a 23ms or a refurb
    (stay far away from these).

    Good Luck
    Dana

    "chris" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
    > How do they compare? Presumably they use the same guts (from Phillips?).
    > I read a review and they rate the Apple a bit higher, better color
    > continuity, etc. possibly due to brighter back lit? I am interested in
    > the Sony because it's cheaper. Should I go with Apple instead? Thx.

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Does the Sony DDM-P234 require a special graphics card. I use a Matrox
    Millennium G550...?
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    > ebow <dryfly@webspeed.dk> wrote:

    > Does the Sony DDM-P234 require a special graphics card.

    Is there a datasheet or manual you can download?

    The P234 is presumably a native 1920x1200 display,
    and ideally you want to feed it a 1920x1200 signal.
    So you need a card that can do that (and the G550
    can, at least in analog mode - dunno about DVI).

    > I use a Matrox Millennium G550...?

    If you connect via analog (HD15/Dsub15 "VGA" port),
    you may need to use a Matrox tweak utility to enable
    selection of 1920x1200 in Windows.

    Because 1920x1200 was not anticipated in the original
    DVI spec for single-link, it seems to be accomplished
    by a "reduced blanking mode" hack, which both monitor
    and card need to support.

    According to hp, "If your digital graphics card provides
    the 1920 x 1200 digital resolution using a single DVI
    connector, then the reduced blanking mode is supported."

    You can also ask in the Matrox forums. Search first,
    as chances are someone already has.

Graphics Cards Hardware Sony Apple Graphics