is my monitor on last legs..?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Hello,

I have a 3 year old Proview 19" CRT Monitor.

Now and then down the left and right side of the image I get a rippling
effect.

The funny thing is that it is worse when the screen display contains a lot
of white, such as in a blank spreadsheet or word document. If there is no
white on screen at all for example a web page then it is fine and the
ripples go away.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I tried different resolutions and
refresh rates but no joy.

Thanks,

td.

Dee

toedipper wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a 3 year old Proview 19" CRT Monitor.
>
> Now and then down the left and right side of the image I get a rippling
> effect.
>
> The funny thing is that it is worse when the screen display contains a lot
> of white, such as in a blank spreadsheet or word document. If there is no
> white on screen at all for example a web page then it is fine and the
> ripples go away.
>
> Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I tried different resolutions and
> refresh rates but no joy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> td.

I think it needs a tune-up; the scan frequencies and syncs checked and
adjusted. However, with the current prices of CRT monitors, it may cost
more to take it to a repair shop that to buy a new one.

"toedipper" <send_rubbish_here734@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> The funny thing is that it is worse when the screen display contains a lot
> of white, such as in a blank spreadsheet or word document. If there is no
> white on screen at all for example a web page then it is fine and the
> ripples go away.
>
> Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I tried different resolutions and
> refresh rates but no joy.

Since the effect is tied to the content of the image, what you've got
is a power-supply regulation problem. The increased load of the
white (or at least bright) portions of the image is causing the width
of the image to change, rapidly enough to be visible on a line-by-line
basis. Either you're seeing fluctuations in the deflection, or possibly
fluctuations in the CRT's HV supply causing what is in effect rapid
"blooming" or shrinking of the image.

This could be due to a failure or weakening of one or more
components within the monitor, or it could just be an inherent
flaw in the design. Since you're just now noticing it, and presumably
it was OK before, the former is the more likely. It may be the case
that it will continue on like this for some time (i.e., this would not be
an indicator of an imminent massive failure).

Bob M.

Joe

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

I just bought a new monitor over a very similar issue. It would appear yours
is starting to fail but who knows when it will completely bite the dust.
They are not worth fixing these days when new 19" ones are $150-$200 for
CRTs and $300-$450 for LCDs.

If you have an extra computer you may want to try hooking the monitor to it
just to make sure it is not your video card going out.

Joe

"Bob Myers" <nospamplease@address.invalid> wrote in message

> "toedipper" <send_rubbish_here734@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > The funny thing is that it is worse when the screen display contains a
lot
> > of white, such as in a blank spreadsheet or word document. If there is
no
> > white on screen at all for example a web page then it is fine and the
> > ripples go away.
> >
> > Any ideas as to what could be wrong? I tried different resolutions and
> > refresh rates but no joy.
>
> Since the effect is tied to the content of the image, what you've got
> is a power-supply regulation problem. The increased load of the
> white (or at least bright) portions of the image is causing the width
> of the image to change, rapidly enough to be visible on a line-by-line
> basis. Either you're seeing fluctuations in the deflection, or possibly
> fluctuations in the CRT's HV supply causing what is in effect rapid
> "blooming" or shrinking of the image.
>
> This could be due to a failure or weakening of one or more
> components within the monitor, or it could just be an inherent
> flaw in the design. Since you're just now noticing it, and presumably
> it was OK before, the former is the more likely. It may be the case
> that it will continue on like this for some time (i.e., this would not be
> an indicator of an imminent massive failure).
>
> Bob M.

I agree with this. My first suspect would be the main power supply
filter capacitor. Next would be the capacitor that filters the main
output rail from the switched-mode PS. Either or both may be
drying up.

It would be a relatively simple job for a competent technician
or an experienced DIY-er to check and substitute these, but
NOT for a novice as it involves potentially dangerous voltages.

Those of you in the more affluent countries are at a disadvantage
when it comes to needing the services of a technician. Here in
India for example, such a job would cost no more than $10-20,
somewhat more if the defective component turns out to be
one of the more expensive parts such as the LOT.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:52:06 +0530, "Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com>
wrote:

>India for example, such a job would cost no more than $10-20,

But is it like here in the Philippines, where the job would cost about $10, and
the technicial would tell you it cost $50 whilst stealing parts to fix his
friend's unit and charging you for the new ones?

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

"Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:52:06 +0530, "Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >India for example, such a job would cost no more than $10-20,
>
> But is it like here in the Philippines, where the job would cost about
$10, and
> the technicial would tell you it cost $50 whilst stealing parts to fix his
> friend's unit and charging you for the new ones?
> --
> Chris Pollard

I guess such things do happen here too, sigh. During those years
when I spent most of my time in repair work, I was careful not
to let even a single screw go missing when I return a customer's
product. I also cleaned them as much as possible, using
compressed air and vacuuming on the insides, and detergent
on the outside.

As senior adviser to the electronics services association in my
state, the thing I try most to drum into the heads of the younger
members is integrity. But I have also heard horror stories about
customers' experiences in advanced countries too.

rene

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com> schreef in bericht

> "Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:52:06 +0530, "Zotin Khuma"
>> <zotin_k@rediffmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >India for example, such a job would cost no more than $10-20,
>>
>> But is it like here in the Philippines, where the job would cost about
> $10, and
>> the technicial would tell you it cost $50 whilst stealing parts to fix
>> his
>> friend's unit and charging you for the new ones?
>> --
>> Chris Pollard
>
> I guess such things do happen here too, sigh. During those years
> when I spent most of my time in repair work, I was careful not
> to let even a single screw go missing when I return a customer's
> product. I also cleaned them as much as possible, using
> compressed air and vacuuming on the insides, and detergent
> on the outside.
>
> As senior adviser to the electronics services association in my
> state, the thing I try most to drum into the heads of the younger
> members is integrity. But I have also heard horror stories about
> customers' experiences in advanced countries too.

Rest assured that things like that happen in the Netherlands as well.
Nothing to do with Your country or my country, just with the greedy
mentality of people which is unfortunately universal.
It gives me joy to read that Your work ethics are of such a high level. Keep
them up!

Greetings,
Rene

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:26:13 +0530, "Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com>
wrote:

>I guess such things do happen here too, sigh. During those years
>when I spent most of my time in repair work, I was careful not
>to let even a single screw go missing when I return a customer's
>product.

Then you're one of the good guys. I have a Samsung tv, it's a picture in picture
model, so it has two tuners. One of them failed, and was replaced at a Samsung
authorised service centre. Now the main channel is noticably worse than it used
to be, and sometimes that one goes blank too.

I can't prove anything, but I suspect they removed both the original ones and
fitted cheap aftermarket replacements.

--
Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

Christopher Pollard wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:26:13 +0530, "Zotin Khuma" <zotin_k@rediffmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I guess such things do happen here too, sigh. During those years
>>when I spent most of my time in repair work, I was careful not
>>to let even a single screw go missing when I return a customer's
>>product.
>

> Then you're one of the good guys. I have a Samsung tv, it's a picture in picture
> model, so it has two tuners. One of them failed, and was replaced at a Samsung
> authorised service centre. Now the main channel is noticably worse than it used
> to be, and sometimes that one goes blank too.
>
> I can't prove anything, but I suspect they removed both the original ones and
> fitted cheap aftermarket replacements.

While theft, fraud, etc, can and do occur the more likely problem, when
there really is a problem, in the vast majority of cases is sloppy work;
such as leaving something loose, or a shield connection missed, or
misreading replacement part number, etc.

Dee wrote:

>> Now and then down the left and right side of the image I get a
>> rippling effect.

> I think it needs a tune-up; the scan frequencies and syncs checked and
> adjusted. However, with the current prices of CRT monitors, it may
> cost more to take it to a repair shop that to buy a new one.

Yep, though you can often find that a friendly local TV repair shop can fix
it cheaply.

--

/mel/