First 10-bit LCD driver?

Oki starts volume shipments for large-size LCD TV-use driver LSIs
<http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20050214PR200.html>

"Oki's new chip, the ML9156, has a 10-bit input with
a one billion-color display, ..."

ok

"... which offers picture quality up to 60 times
higher than other chips."

That's reaching a bit, but at least panels using this
driver might have a chance at properly tracking a
gray scale.

"Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Oki starts volume shipments for large-size LCD TV-use driver LSIs
> <http://www.digitimes.com/displays/a20050214PR200.html>
>
> "Oki's new chip, the ML9156, has a 10-bit input with
> a one billion-color display, ..."
>
> ok
>
> "... which offers picture quality up to 60 times
> higher than other chips."
>
> That's reaching a bit, but at least panels using this
> driver might have a chance at properly tracking a
> gray scale.
>
> --
> Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name@ispname.tld
> http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
> NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider.

An exercise in futility - the cell to cell variation in panels is not
nearly THAT small,
so it's just an attempt to play the old numbers game. Variations in filter
deposition
and discrimination ratio can not be further improved without adding lots of
cost to
the panel mfg. process, and right now the cost is perceived as still too
high.
This is very similar to the issue of variations in cut-off and gamma between
the RGB
guns of a CRT affecting their ability to accurately display colors between
monitors.

Most panels can not do 6-bit drivers full justice - and 8-bit drivers are
just now
becoming more common (at a higher cost, of course). Lowest cost panels will
stay
with 6-bit drivers and FRD the other 2 bits until the cost of 8-bit drivers
comes down
to an equal point of 6-bit ones.

username_17

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
An exercise in futility - .......

Most panels can not do 6-bit drivers full justice - and 8-bit drivers are ....

Totally agree. The company I work for (as R&D guy) is producing LCD's and industrial touch terminals since ages. Sometimes a brand name XXXX lcd with let's say 800x600xRGBx6bit gives a much better quality image (talking about colors) than a WUXGA with 3x8bit made by brand YYYYY. It is only LCD technology difference. We can prove this by colorimetry and testing. A small LCD with a higher refresh rate will produce allways a better quality image (even in 16 bit, i.e. 5 red, 6 green, 5 blue) then a higher-res LCD where the controller (memory bandwith) can not sustain a higher refresh rate. And however, why should you need more then 65k colors? You just need a fast controller, 4xRGB bits per color (i.e. 12 bits) and a good TFT pannel. The human eye can't see more then about 4000 colors anyhow, and this only if you are a professional photographer. I can prove that I take ANY 32-bit photo and rework it with an optimized 4k-color pallete (some photopaint/photoshop can do that) and one WONT see any difference. Or maybe I am colorblind and I don't know yet... :D