Old Solo notebook -- Mouse crazy

I see some old messages here and there that exactly describe what I'm
seeing. This is an old Gateway Solo 9100. External Logitec mouse is
completely crazy after upgrading the OS, but it had worked fine
previously. Has anyone ever figured this out? Even the built-in
touchpad mouse seems a little iffy now and now seems to occasionally
do a button-press on its own. Thanks.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=vx8X1.6682%24el4.14032679%40c01read02.service.talkway.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dsolo%2Bcrazy%2Bmouse%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26group%3Dalt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000%26selm%3Dvx8X1.6682%2524el4.14032679%2540c01read02.service.talkway.com%26rnum%3D1
5 answers Last reply
More about solo notebook mouse crazy

    Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.

    The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external mouse =
    completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page it
    seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
    driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
    WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?

    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/P91tvdnv.shtml
    http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/Software/3500417su14.shtml

    Thanks

    "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
    >
    > The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external mouse =
    > completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page it
    > seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
    > driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
    > WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
    >
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/P91tvdnv.shtml
    > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/Software/3500417su14.shtml
    >
    > Thanks

    An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
    running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
    update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98 also,
    what few that there are, including touchpad.

    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<I-ednWhof9xUPhjcRVn-gA@comcast.com>...
    > "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
    > >
    > > The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external mouse =
    > > completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page it
    > > seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
    > > driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
    > > WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
    > >
    > > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/P91tvdnv.shtml
    > > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/Software/3500417su14.shtml
    > >
    > > Thanks
    >
    > An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
    > running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
    > update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98 also,
    > what few that there are, including touchpad.

    Hi, thanks for the response. The confusing thing is that no touchpad
    driver is listed for Win98. Only for DOS and WinNT. Second, there are
    several bios updates listed but I don't know if they need to be
    installed in a specific order. Win95 was deleted, C:\ was formatted,
    and then Win98 was installed. Thanks.

    >> "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
    >> >
    >> > The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external
    >> > mouse =
    >> > completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page
    >> > it
    >> > seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
    >> > driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
    >> > WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
    >> >
    >> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/P91tvdnv.shtml
    >> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/Software/3500417su14.shtml
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >>
    >> An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
    >> running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
    >> update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98
    >> also,
    >> what few that there are, including touchpad.

    > Hi, thanks for the response. The confusing thing is that no touchpad
    > driver is listed for Win98. Only for DOS and WinNT. Second, there are
    > several bios updates listed but I don't know if they need to be
    > installed in a specific order. Win95 was deleted, C:\ was formatted,
    > and then Win98 was installed. Thanks.

    AIRC, and it been a long time, the 8.xx series BIOS updates are
    relevant, with the last of the series 8.47 taking care of USB problems
    (this is not in the update notes but I found out from support). You do
    not need to install the BIOS updates in sequence, just the last. The
    synaptics drivers work fine, www.synaptics.com. I would install all of
    the latest drivers if you haven't already. If the British site is still
    operating, the C-Cube DVD decoder was there at one time.

    "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
    >> >
    >> > The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external
    >> > mouse =
    >> > completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page
    >> > it
    >> > seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
    >> > driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
    >> > WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
    >> >
    >> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/P91tvdnv.shtml
    >> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/Software/3500417su14.shtml
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >>
    >> An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
    >> running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
    >> update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98
    >> also,
    >> what few that there are, including touchpad.

    > Hi, thanks for the response. The confusing thing is that no touchpad
    > driver is listed for Win98. Only for DOS and WinNT. Second, there are
    > several bios updates listed but I don't know if they need to be
    > installed in a specific order. Win95 was deleted, C:\ was formatted,
    > and then Win98 was installed. Thanks.

    One other thing: Win98 was a real improvement over Win95, but Win98SE is
    far and away better than either, particularly for USB support and
    overall stability.

Gateway Mice Notebooks Computers