Old Solo notebook -- Mouse crazy

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
October 29, 2004 11:38:59 AM

I see some old messages here and there that exactly describe what I'm
seeing. This is an old Gateway Solo 9100. External Logitec mouse is
completely crazy after upgrading the OS, but it had worked fine
previously. Has anyone ever figured this out? Even the built-in
touchpad mouse seems a little iffy now and now seems to occasionally
do a button-press on its own. Thanks.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=vx8X1...
October 30, 2004 2:24:25 PM

Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.

The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external mouse =
completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page it
seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...

Thanks
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 10:47:36 PM

"Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
>
> The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external mouse =
> completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page it
> seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
> driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
> WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
>
> http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
> http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
>
> Thanks

An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98 also,
what few that there are, including touchpad.

November 1, 2004 11:21:06 AM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<I-ednWhof9xUPhjcRVn-gA@comcast.com>...
> "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
> >
> > The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external mouse =
> > completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page it
> > seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
> > driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
> > WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
> >
> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
> >
> > Thanks
>
> An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
> running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
> update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98 also,
> what few that there are, including touchpad.

Hi, thanks for the response. The confusing thing is that no touchpad
driver is listed for Win98. Only for DOS and WinNT. Second, there are
several bios updates listed but I don't know if they need to be
installed in a specific order. Win95 was deleted, C:\ was formatted,
and then Win98 was installed. Thanks.
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 3:43:02 PM

>> "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
>> >
>> > The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external
>> > mouse =
>> > completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page
>> > it
>> > seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
>> > driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
>> > WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
>> >
>> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
>> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>
>> An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
>> running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
>> update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98
>> also,
>> what few that there are, including touchpad.

> Hi, thanks for the response. The confusing thing is that no touchpad
> driver is listed for Win98. Only for DOS and WinNT. Second, there are
> several bios updates listed but I don't know if they need to be
> installed in a specific order. Win95 was deleted, C:\ was formatted,
> and then Win98 was installed. Thanks.

AIRC, and it been a long time, the 8.xx series BIOS updates are
relevant, with the last of the series 8.47 taking care of USB problems
(this is not in the update notes but I found out from support). You do
not need to install the BIOS updates in sequence, just the last. The
synaptics drivers work fine, www.synaptics.com. I would install all of
the latest drivers if you haven't already. If the British site is still
operating, the C-Cube DVD decoder was there at one time.

November 1, 2004 3:45:13 PM

"Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Dave" <galt_57@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Re: old Solo 9100 E6.0 laptop upgraded from Win95 to Win98.
>> >
>> > The touchpad is now slightly erratic. Plugging in the external
>> > mouse =
>> > completely erratic behavior. When I go to the Gateway support page
>> > it
>> > seems to suggest that a touchpad driver is needed -- however the
>> > driver download page only lists touchpad drivers for DOS/Win3.x and
>> > WinNT. Are either of these needed for Win98 ?
>> >
>> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
>> > http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Solo_Series/P91tvd/...
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>
>> An E6 on Win95? OK, there are a series of BIOS updates that apply to
>> running a 9100 E6 on Win98. Win98 should be installed fresh, not an
>> update, AIRC. Download all of the appropriate drivers for Win98
>> also,
>> what few that there are, including touchpad.

> Hi, thanks for the response. The confusing thing is that no touchpad
> driver is listed for Win98. Only for DOS and WinNT. Second, there are
> several bios updates listed but I don't know if they need to be
> installed in a specific order. Win95 was deleted, C:\ was formatted,
> and then Win98 was installed. Thanks.

One other thing: Win98 was a real improvement over Win95, but Win98SE is
far and away better than either, particularly for USB support and
overall stability.