Graphics card recommendations please !

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 18, 2005 10:21:53 PM

Hi,

I'm going to upgrade my system (on a budget - so limit is about UKP50 ...
$90), and would welcome recommendations.

New system will be Asus A8V mobo, 64-biit XP3200+ CPU and a SATA hard
drive. There will be no games, purely office apps and other lightweight
software, but I want to transfer my VHS videos to hard disk, edit, then burn
DVD's.

Rather than buying a separate VGA card and (e.g. Pinnacle) box, can anyone
suggest a graphics card that will double as a video-in processor ?

TIA

Steve.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 19, 2005 1:00:04 PM

"S." <someone@somewhere.not> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to upgrade my system (on a budget - so limit is about UKP50 ...
> $90), and would welcome recommendations.
>
> New system will be Asus A8V mobo, 64-biit XP3200+ CPU and a SATA hard
> drive. There will be no games, purely office apps and other lightweight
> software, but I want to transfer my VHS videos to hard disk, edit, then
burn
> DVD's.
>
> Rather than buying a separate VGA card and (e.g. Pinnacle) box, can anyone
> suggest a graphics card that will double as a video-in processor ?

Steve:

I've tried going this route with an AMD 2600+, and in the end I wasn't happy
with
the results. The video either had dropped frames (and that was while I did
nothing
during the capture) or looked pretty poor. I finally bit the bullet and got
a dedicated
capture card (and here is the important part) that does the MPEG conversion
in
hardware. Wow! What a difference. Now I have no dropped frames, and the
video
looks better than it ever did. Plus, I can actually use the computer while
I'm
capturing.

I'd highly recommend something like the Adaptec VideoOh! PCI that I'm using.
Capture cards (whether video cards with VIVO, or TV cards, or whatever) that
don't use hardware MPEG conversion, will all have the same limitations.

--
Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
space)[com]

"S." <someone@somewhere.not> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to upgrade my system (on a budget - so limit is about UKP50 ...
> $90), and would welcome recommendations.................

Thanks to Chris and Dan for sound (!) advice.

S.
!