Video Card with Hi-Def out support?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

Hi All,

I'm looking at buying a mini-pc to replace my current DVD player.

I've been eyeing the VIA EPIA boards, but I am unable to tell what would
give me the hi-def output that my current DVD player supports (component
video).

The stats say the board has:
+ 1 RCA port (SPDIF or TV out)
+ 1 S-Video port
+ 1 VGA port

Is this enough to somehow get hi-def out?
If not, can someone suggest a small form factor board with hi-def output?


Thanks,


-Elaine
15 answers Last reply
More about video card support
  1. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Elaine" <EL@..> wrote in message news:Xns96019B8D6199Ca@63.223.5.251...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm looking at buying a mini-pc to replace my current DVD player.
    >
    > I've been eyeing the VIA EPIA boards, but I am unable to tell what
    > would
    > give me the hi-def output that my current DVD player supports
    > (component
    > video).
    >
    > The stats say the board has:
    > + 1 RCA port (SPDIF or TV out)
    > + 1 S-Video port
    > + 1 VGA port
    >
    > Is this enough to somehow get hi-def out?
    > If not, can someone suggest a small form factor board with hi-def
    > output?

    Do you have "hi-def" DVDs to play?
  2. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Your current DVD player is not Hi-Def. Component output is not Hi-Def - just
    a cleaner output signal.


    "Elaine" <EL@..> wrote in message news:Xns96019B8D6199Ca@63.223.5.251...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm looking at buying a mini-pc to replace my current DVD player.
    >
    > I've been eyeing the VIA EPIA boards, but I am unable to tell what would
    > give me the hi-def output that my current DVD player supports (component
    > video).
    >
    > The stats say the board has:
    > + 1 RCA port (SPDIF or TV out)
    > + 1 S-Video port
    > + 1 VGA port
    >
    > Is this enough to somehow get hi-def out?
    > If not, can someone suggest a small form factor board with hi-def output?
    >
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    >
    > -Elaine
    >
  3. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com> wrote
    in news:V9vRd.99551$JF2.33120@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

    > Your current DVD player is not Hi-Def. Component output is not Hi-Def
    > - just a cleaner output signal.
    >
    >

    I guess I'm even more ignorant about this than I thought.

    How do you get a hi-def signal source to an HDTV ready TV?

    The TV manual (Sony Wega) implied that the component video was the key.

    Is there some key words that imply Hi-Definition or does it have to
    actually say so on the DVD/Video Card box?

    - Elaine
  4. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Elaine wrote:
    > "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com>
    > wrote in news:V9vRd.99551$JF2.33120@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:
    >
    >> Your current DVD player is not Hi-Def. Component output is not Hi-Def
    >> - just a cleaner output signal.
    >>
    >>
    >
    > I guess I'm even more ignorant about this than I thought.
    >
    > How do you get a hi-def signal source to an HDTV ready TV?
    >
    > The TV manual (Sony Wega) implied that the component video was the
    > key.
    >
    > Is there some key words that imply Hi-Definition or does it have to
    > actually say so on the DVD/Video Card box?
    >
    > - Elaine


    You're not ignorant Elaine, just a victim of a good sales pitch (store
    and/or brochure). A friend of mine went through exactly what you're going
    through when he bought (what sounds like) the same set for Christmas. I
    went through hell convincing him that he wasn't seeing "true" hi-def from
    his DVD player. The other bull sh** Sony has in the Wega brochure is that
    S-video is better than component. Wrong again!!
    As of this moment in time, the only hi-def signal that your Wegas is
    capable of receiving is a TV signal, whether it be over the air, cable or
    satellite. Even then, your Wega must have an HD tuner to be able to receive
    and decode this signal.

    Mike
  5. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Mike Kujbida wrote:

    >
    >
    > Elaine wrote:
    >> "Digital Video Solutions" <video@digitalvideosolutionsNOSPAM.com>
    >> wrote in news:V9vRd.99551$JF2.33120@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:
    >>
    >>> Your current DVD player is not Hi-Def. Component output is not Hi-Def
    >>> - just a cleaner output signal.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >> I guess I'm even more ignorant about this than I thought.
    >>
    >> How do you get a hi-def signal source to an HDTV ready TV?
    >>
    >> The TV manual (Sony Wega) implied that the component video was the
    >> key.
    >>
    >> Is there some key words that imply Hi-Definition or does it have to
    >> actually say so on the DVD/Video Card box?
    >>
    >> - Elaine
    >
    >
    > You're not ignorant Elaine, just a victim of a good sales pitch (store
    > and/or brochure). A friend of mine went through exactly what you're going
    > through when he bought (what sounds like) the same set for Christmas. I
    > went through hell convincing him that he wasn't seeing "true" hi-def from
    > his DVD player. The other bull sh** Sony has in the Wega brochure is that
    > S-video is better than component. Wrong again!!
    > As of this moment in time, the only hi-def signal that your Wegas is
    > capable of receiving is a TV signal, whether it be over the air, cable or
    > satellite. Even then, your Wega must have an HD tuner to be able to
    > receive and decode this signal.

    A DVD does not have a "true Hi-Def" image recorded so no matter what output
    it uses it's not going to get better than DVD quality.

    Component, DVD, and HDMI can all carry "true Hi-Def" (i.e. 1080x1920 or one
    of the other standard HD resolutions) if the source supports those
    resolutions. This is how HD set top boxes, cable boxes, etc attach to HD
    TV sets.

    And I doubt that Sony claims that S-video is "better" than "component". I
    think you may be confusing component and composite.
    >
    > Mike

    --
    --John
    Reply to jclarke at ae tee tee global dot net
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    J. Clarke wrote:
    > snip <
    > And I doubt that Sony claims that S-video is "better" than
    > "component". I think you may be confusing component and composite.


    I wish it (Sony's claim) wasn't true but it is. My friend read me the page
    right out of the WEGA manual.
    BTW, as someone who's worked in video engineering & production for over 30
    years, I do know the difference between the two.

    Mike
  7. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    news:YbGRd.19392$dZ.808198@news20.bellglobal.com:

    > J. Clarke wrote:
    >> snip <
    >> And I doubt that Sony claims that S-video is "better" than
    >> "component". I think you may be confusing component and composite.
    >
    >
    > I wish it (Sony's claim) wasn't true but it is. My friend read me the
    > page right out of the WEGA manual.
    > BTW, as someone who's worked in video engineering & production for
    > over 30 years, I do know the difference between the two.
    >
    > Mike
    >

    So then I guess I'm wondering which video cards would be able to render DVD
    output equivalent to a good commercial standalone DVD player on the market
    today?

    Do you need a high-end ATI card, or is this a common capability?

    -E
  8. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Elaine wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    > news:YbGRd.19392$dZ.808198@news20.bellglobal.com:
    >
    >> J. Clarke wrote:
    >>> snip <
    >>> And I doubt that Sony claims that S-video is "better" than
    >>> "component". I think you may be confusing component and composite.
    >>
    >>
    >> I wish it (Sony's claim) wasn't true but it is. My friend read me
    >> the page right out of the WEGA manual.
    >> BTW, as someone who's worked in video engineering & production for
    >> over 30 years, I do know the difference between the two.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >
    > So then I guess I'm wondering which video cards would be able to
    > render DVD output equivalent to a good commercial standalone DVD
    > player on the market today?
    >
    > Do you need a high-end ATI card, or is this a common capability?
    >
    > -E


    Not sure that I understand your question Elaine. Are you looking to make &
    burn a DVD from your own material or do you want to hook your computer up to
    an HDTV set for viewing purposes?
    If it's the former, then you'll need a firewire card for capturing, an NLE
    of some sort for editing, an authoring program to create the necessary
    DVD-ready files for burning and, of course a DVD burner and software to do
    the actual burn. You have to realize though that the quality a consumer
    camcorder will not come close to what you see on a commercial DVD as the
    budgets for commercial productions are way out of our reach.
    If it's the latter, that's out of my area of knowledge but is discussed here
    often enough.

    Mike
  9. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Elaine wrote:

    >How do you get a hi-def signal source to an HDTV ready TV?

    With component video cables, which easily handles analog HDTV signals.
    Or DVI/HDMI if both ends of the connection support those.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    J. Clarke wrote:

    >A DVD does not have a "true Hi-Def" image recorded so no matter what output
    >it uses it's not going to get better than DVD quality.

    And it's getting even more muddy with these new DVD players that
    up-sample to 1080i. It still ain't HD, folks!

    >Component, DVD, and HDMI can all carry "true Hi-Def" (i.e. 1080x1920 or one
    >of the other standard HD resolutions) if the source supports those
    >resolutions. This is how HD set top boxes, cable boxes, etc attach to HD
    >TV sets.

    You meant to say "DVI", not "DVD", of course.

    DVI is just like HDMI sans the audio signals. HDMI is an evolved from
    of DVI, if you will. They use different connectors, but can play
    together using an adaptor cable.

    >And I doubt that Sony claims that S-video is "better" than "component". I
    >think you may be confusing component and composite.

    Agreed.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    news:tRTSd.10817$uO.459604@news20.bellglobal.com:


    > Not sure that I understand your question Elaine. Are you looking to
    > make & burn a DVD from your own material or do you want to hook your
    > computer up to an HDTV set for viewing purposes?
    > If it's the former, then you'll need a firewire card for capturing, an
    > NLE of some sort for editing, an authoring program to create the
    > necessary DVD-ready files for burning and, of course a DVD burner and
    > software to do the actual burn. You have to realize though that the
    > quality a consumer camcorder will not come close to what you see on a
    > commercial DVD as the budgets for commercial productions are way out
    > of our reach. If it's the latter, that's out of my area of knowledge
    > but is discussed here often enough.
    >
    > Mike
    >


    I'm just looking to replace my DVD player with something that can perform
    equally well as the DVD player, but also is a computer so I can use it for
    other stuff (XP Media Edition, home automation, etc).

    I know how to put most of this together, I'm just unsure of what video card
    is needed to play a commercial DVD at least as well as a standalone DVD
    player.

    -Elaine
  12. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Richard Crowley wrote:
    > "Elaine" <EL@..> wrote in message
    news:Xns96019B8D6199Ca@63.223.5.251...
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I'm looking at buying a mini-pc to replace my current DVD player.
    > >
    > > I've been eyeing the VIA EPIA boards, but I am unable to tell what
    > > would
    > > give me the hi-def output that my current DVD player supports
    > > (component
    > > video).
    > >
    > > The stats say the board has:
    > > + 1 RCA port (SPDIF or TV out)
    > > + 1 S-Video port
    > > + 1 VGA port
    > >
    > > Is this enough to somehow get hi-def out?
    > > If not, can someone suggest a small form factor board with hi-def
    > > output?
    >
    > Do you have "hi-def" DVDs to play?
    \


    Isn't there a hi-def Terminator (1? 2?) on one of the terminator bonus
    discs that's in true hi-def?

    of course, it's not in DVD format, it's a dvd-rom


    STRATEGY
  13. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    J. Clarke wrote:

    >A DVD does not have a "true Hi-Def" image recorded so no matter what output
    >it uses it's not going to get better than DVD quality.

    And it's getting even more muddy with these new DVD players that
    up-sample to 1080i. It still ain't HD, folks!

    >Component, DVD, and HDMI can all carry "true Hi-Def" (i.e. 1080x1920 or one
    >of the other standard HD resolutions) if the source supports those
    >resolutions. This is how HD set top boxes, cable boxes, etc attach to HD
    >TV sets.

    You meant to say "DVI", not "DVD", of course.

    DVI is just like HDMI sans the audio signals. HDMI is an evolved from
    of DVI, if you will. They use different connectors, but can play
    together using an adaptor cable.

    >And I doubt that Sony claims that S-video is "better" than "component". I
    >think you may be confusing component and composite.

    Agreed.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    chrisv wrote:

    >Elaine wrote:
    >
    >>How do you get a hi-def signal source to an HDTV ready TV?
    >
    >With component video cables, which easily handles analog HDTV signals.
    >Or DVI/HDMI if both ends of the connection support those.

    As a side note, component video cable is simply ordinary, dirt-cheap,
    75 ohm coax with RCA connectors on the ends. Don't let yourself be
    ripped-off by "Monster" cable.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Elaine wrote:
    > "Mike Kujbida" <kujfam-misleadingspam@sympatico.ca> wrote in
    > news:tRTSd.10817$uO.459604@news20.bellglobal.com:
    >
    >
    >> Not sure that I understand your question Elaine. Are you looking to
    >> make & burn a DVD from your own material or do you want to hook your
    >> computer up to an HDTV set for viewing purposes?
    >> If it's the former, then you'll need a firewire card for capturing,
    >> an NLE of some sort for editing, an authoring program to create the
    >> necessary DVD-ready files for burning and, of course a DVD burner and
    >> software to do the actual burn. You have to realize though that the
    >> quality a consumer camcorder will not come close to what you see on a
    >> commercial DVD as the budgets for commercial productions are way out
    >> of our reach. If it's the latter, that's out of my area of knowledge
    >> but is discussed here often enough.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >>
    >
    >
    > I'm just looking to replace my DVD player with something that can
    > perform equally well as the DVD player, but also is a computer so I
    > can use it for other stuff (XP Media Edition, home automation, etc).
    >
    > I know how to put most of this together, I'm just unsure of what
    > video card is needed to play a commercial DVD at least as well as a
    > standalone DVD player.
    >
    > -Elaine


    Sorry but I can't help you out there. I have a DVD burner on my computer
    and I play what I make on a standalone DVD player.

    Mike
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards DVD Players Video Graphics