Gateway 700XL Challange

Background:

1. System 700XL/Win XP Pro/2- 250 GIG HD/1 meg RAM - arrived with a dead HD
(Sept -03), 1 week on phone with Tech support, replace disk & OS rebuild.

2. HD crash & corrupted OS June -04, 2 weeks on phone with Tech support,
replace disk & OS rebuild

Next problem approximately Aug 19-04 started random reboots with Checkdisk &
multiple cross linked files

Aug 20-04 OS corrupted & system would not boot.

Multiple phone calls to tech support, eventually recommended return for
service.

Shipped 8-28-04

Returned 10-7-04 from Service

Booted up & ran approximately 2 hours & then random reboots with Checkdisk &
multiple cross linked files. System remains unstable same behavior since Aug
20.

Reshipped 10-8-04

System returned Oct 28-04

Booted up & ran approximately 3 hours & then random reboots with Checkdisk &
multiple cross linked files.

During the time it was running, I loaded Norton Internet Security & copied
files, started instability after approximately 5 GIG of files were copied.

Each trip to service, OS & apps reloaded & "system passed", no hardware or
disks replaced.

GW Utility GW Scan passed hard disks on 10-7-04

Have not yet re-run GW scan this trip

Question:

1. What is likely "diagnosis"?

2. What customer service or resolution options do I have?

Thanks in advance,
9 answers Last reply
More about gateway 700xl challange

    I would start with a clean slate -- using the gwcan utility, write zeros to
    the drive. Then, reload Windows, but not any other apps. Clean the Windows
    cd before reinstalling...
    Don't have any hardware, other than kybd, mouse, monitor, hooked up.
    See what that does.
    If that doesn't do it, start eliminating internal hardware - sound card,
    modem, nic (unless integrated...).
    Try to rule out software then hardware.
    Keep us posted.
    Jeff S.
    "T Brox" <wtbrox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Background:
    >

    > 1. System 700XL/Win XP Pro/2- 250 GIG HD/1 meg RAM - arrived with a dead
    HD
    > (Sept -03), 1 week on phone with Tech support, replace disk & OS rebuild.
    >

    > 2. HD crash & corrupted OS June -04, 2 weeks on phone with Tech support,
    > replace disk & OS rebuild
    >

    > Next problem approximately Aug 19-04 started random reboots with Checkdisk
    &
    > multiple cross linked files
    >
    > Aug 20-04 OS corrupted & system would not boot.
    >

    > Multiple phone calls to tech support, eventually recommended return for
    > service.
    >
    > Shipped 8-28-04
    >
    > Returned 10-7-04 from Service
    >
    > Booted up & ran approximately 2 hours & then random reboots with Checkdisk
    &
    > multiple cross linked files. System remains unstable same behavior since
    Aug
    > 20.
    >

    > Reshipped 10-8-04
    >

    > System returned Oct 28-04
    >
    > Booted up & ran approximately 3 hours & then random reboots with Checkdisk
    &
    > multiple cross linked files.
    >
    > During the time it was running, I loaded Norton Internet Security & copied
    > files, started instability after approximately 5 GIG of files were copied.
    >

    > Each trip to service, OS & apps reloaded & "system passed", no hardware or
    > disks replaced.
    >
    > GW Utility GW Scan passed hard disks on 10-7-04
    >
    > Have not yet re-run GW scan this trip
    >

    > Question:
    >

    > 1. What is likely "diagnosis"?
    >
    > 2. What customer service or resolution options do I have?
    >

    > Thanks in advance,

    No, no! Try to rule out hardware FIRST. If the hardware is not working right,
    no way will the software run properly.

    So run hardware diagnostics on the system, especially the motherboard, memory,
    and hard drive. These are the most critical pieces of a system. It seems
    pretty clear that something is very wrong with the hardware.

    1. Download MEMTEST-86 , and prepare a bootable floppy according to the
    instructions on the web site. The diskette will boot Linux, but no need to
    worry. MEMTEST-86 cycles through a very comprehensive set of memory tests,
    exercising the processor and some of the motherboard chipset along the way. If
    MEMTEST-86 reveals even one error after running for several hours, then either
    the memory or the motherboard is bad. I'll guess that the CPU is OK.

    2. Determine the hard drive manufacturer, and download the hard drive
    diagnostics from their web site. Run the diagnostics and see if there are any
    errors.

    If both of these tests show clean error-free hardware, I would be stumped.
    Faulty motherboard chips would seem to be the most likely cause, given that hard
    drives were replaced. Were the hard drives you got from Gateway sealed in
    electrostatic bags? Were they marked as refurbished or were they new?

    The aforementioned tests run as close to the computer hardware as possible, so
    they are accurate diagnostics. No matter what Gateway or Microsoft might claim,
    gwscan and scandisk rely on Windows, and if the Windows software is screwed up
    as it often is, any Windows-based tests are likely to give false results.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:51:50 -0500, "Jeff S." <jeffreys1966@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I would start with a clean slate -- using the gwcan utility, write zeros to
    >the drive. Then, reload Windows, but not any other apps. Clean the Windows
    >cd before reinstalling...
    >Don't have any hardware, other than kybd, mouse, monitor, hooked up.
    >See what that does.
    >If that doesn't do it, start eliminating internal hardware - sound card,
    >modem, nic (unless integrated...).
    >Try to rule out software then hardware.
    >Keep us posted.
    >Jeff S.
    >"T Brox" <wtbrox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Background:
    >>

    >> 1. System 700XL/Win XP Pro/2- 250 GIG HD/1 meg RAM - arrived with a dead
    >HD
    >> (Sept -03), 1 week on phone with Tech support, replace disk & OS rebuild.
    >>

    >> 2. HD crash & corrupted OS June -04, 2 weeks on phone with Tech support,
    >> replace disk & OS rebuild
    >>

    >> Next problem approximately Aug 19-04 started random reboots with Checkdisk
    >&
    >> multiple cross linked files
    >>
    >> Aug 20-04 OS corrupted & system would not boot.
    >>

    >> Multiple phone calls to tech support, eventually recommended return for
    >> service.
    >>
    >> Shipped 8-28-04
    >>
    >> Returned 10-7-04 from Service
    >>
    >> Booted up & ran approximately 2 hours & then random reboots with Checkdisk
    >&
    >> multiple cross linked files. System remains unstable same behavior since
    >Aug
    >> 20.
    >>

    >> Reshipped 10-8-04
    >>

    >> System returned Oct 28-04
    >>
    >> Booted up & ran approximately 3 hours & then random reboots with Checkdisk
    >&
    >> multiple cross linked files.
    >>
    >> During the time it was running, I loaded Norton Internet Security & copied
    >> files, started instability after approximately 5 GIG of files were copied.
    >>

    >> Each trip to service, OS & apps reloaded & "system passed", no hardware or
    >> disks replaced.
    >>
    >> GW Utility GW Scan passed hard disks on 10-7-04
    >>
    >> Have not yet re-run GW scan this trip
    >>

    >> Question:
    >>

    >> 1. What is likely "diagnosis"?
    >>
    >> 2. What customer service or resolution options do I have?
    >>

    >> Thanks in advance,

    Since the hard drive test passed already and the system has only been
    reloaded by Gateway (with their oddball image software...). There's nothing
    to lose by starting fresh from a clean load of software...
    It takes all of an hour and will give a clean slate to go off of...
    JS
> [...]
    > >> 20.
    > >>

    > >> Reshipped 10-8-04
    > >>

    > >> System returned Oct 28-04
    > >>
    > >> Booted up & ran approximately 3 hours & then random reboots with
    Checkdisk
    > >&
    > >> multiple cross linked files.
    > >>
    > >> During the time it was running, I loaded Norton Internet Security &
    copied
    > >> files, started instability after approximately 5 GIG of files were
    copied.

    > >> Each trip to service, OS & apps reloaded & "system passed", no hardware
    or
    > >> disks replaced.
    > >>
    > >> GW Utility GW Scan passed hard disks on 10-7-04
    > >>
    > >> Have not yet re-run GW scan this trip
    > >>

    > >> Question:
    > >>

    > >> 1. What is likely "diagnosis"?
    > >>
    > >> 2. What customer service or resolution options do I have?

    Was this the disk drive MANUFACTURER'S hard drive test? If so, I would agree
    and suggest that MEMTEST-86 still be run. If not, and the so-called hard drive
    test was GWSCAN or SCANDISK run under Windows, I would have to disagree strongly
    with the advice given.

    As stated earlier, GWSCAN and SCANDISK both rely on Windows often unreliable
    underpinnings to run and they provide insufficient diagnostic information, hence
    they cannot be considered reliable indicators of whether or not a drive is 100%
    defect-free. Long experience in the industry recommends that if a modern
    ATAPI/IDE or SCSI drive has even one bad sector, that the drive be replaced.
    (Back in the early days of personal computers when 30MB hard drives cost $500 or
    $600, people would live with the defects and replace bad sectors with spares.)
    One bad sector is a harbinger of more catastrophic disk problems to follow.

    Likewise, if MEMTEST-86 reveals even one hardware error while running many
    cycles, this is a sign of something wrong somewhere. Possibly defective memory
    or memory out of spec with the motherboard requirements. Possibly a flaky chip
    on the motherboard itself.

    The recommendation to make sure the hardware is absolutely right before going
    further has its roots in the dark days of the computer industry, when such
    pre-historic beasts as 360's, 370's, 1107's and other humungous computers with
    punch card readers and paper tapes roamed the land. I see nothing in the modern
    world of computing to deviate from a proven practice, and a lot of experience
    that says it is the best practice... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:41:02 -0500, "Jeff S." <jeffreys1966@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
    >possible, so
    >> they are accurate diagnostics. No matter what Gateway or Microsoft might
    >claim,
    >> gwscan and scandisk rely on Windows, and if the Windows software is
    >screwed up
    >> as it often is, any Windows-based tests are likely to give false results.
    >>
    >> ... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:51:50 -0500, "Jeff S." <jeffreys1966@yahoo.com>
    >wrote:
    >>
    >> >I would start with a clean slate -- using the gwcan utility, write zeros
    >> >the drive. Then, reload Windows, but not any other apps. Clean the
    >Windows
    >> >cd before reinstalling...
    >> >Don't have any hardware, other than kybd, mouse, monitor, hooked up.
    >> >See what that does.
    >> >If that doesn't do it, start eliminating internal hardware - sound card,

    OK:

    1. The disk scan run was the GWSCAN 5.07 - Data Lifeguard Diagnostics
    coypright by Western Digital Corp, I am currently re-running the extended
    test on both disks but they have (since this problem begin) both passed the
    extended test without errors. This program is on the GW red CD disk that is
    distributed with the computer.

    2. I downloaded memtest-86 v 3.1 and ran this. This program consistently
    reports errors on Test #3. I can upload a screenshot of the error reports
    but I am unclear whether I have a cache, motherboard or memory problem.

    3. On Friday my wife called Tech support at GW & they now plan to replace
    the motherboard. Sounds like the memory may need to be replaced first.

    Please advise................

> [...]
    > >any
    > >> errors.
    > >>
    > >> If both of these tests show clean error-free hardware, I would be
    stumped.
    > >> Faulty motherboard chips would seem to be the most likely cause, given
    > >that hard
    > >> drives were replaced. Were the hard drives you got from Gateway sealed
    in
    > >> electrostatic bags? Were they marked as refurbished or were they new?
    > >>
    > >> The aforementioned tests run as close to the computer hardware as
    > >possible, so
    > >> they are accurate diagnostics. No matter what Gateway or Microsoft
    might
    > >claim,
    > >> gwscan and scandisk rely on Windows, and if the Windows software is
    > >screwed up
    > >> as it often is, any Windows-based tests are likely to give false

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    Can't speak for the tech you had but most of them replace motherboard,
    processor and memory when replacing motherboard.

> [...]
    >> such
    >> pre-historic beasts as 360's, 370's, 1107's and other humungous computers
    > with
    >> punch card readers and paper tapes roamed the land. I see nothing in the
    > modern
    >> world of computing to deviate from a proven practice, and a lot of
    > experience
    >> that says it is the best practice... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:41:02 -0500, "Jeff S." <jeffreys1966@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> >Since the hard drive test passed already and the system has only been
    >> >reloaded by Gateway (with their oddball image software...). There's
    > nothing
    >> >to lose by starting fresh from a clean load of software...
    >> >It takes all of an hour and will give a clean slate to go off of...

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    It is rare, but a bad IDE cable can cause what you are seeing. I had one
    just today although it was with a cdrw and dvd rom drive. I use the ultimate
    boot cd for most diags and in both drives it would hang while trying to load
    Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test. Replaced the IDE cable and both drives worked
    fine.

> [...]
    >> such
    >> pre-historic beasts as 360's, 370's, 1107's and other humungous computers
    > with
    >> punch card readers and paper tapes roamed the land. I see nothing in the
    > modern
    >> world of computing to deviate from a proven practice, and a lot of
    > experience
    >> that says it is the best practice... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:41:02 -0500, "Jeff S." <jeffreys1966@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> >Since the hard drive test passed already and the system has only been
    >> >reloaded by Gateway (with their oddball image software...). There's
    > nothing
    >> >to lose by starting fresh from a clean load of software...
    >> >It takes all of an hour and will give a clean slate to go off of...

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    It may be too early to brag BUT............

    I removed one of the two 512 meg memory modules & the system has been
    running stable for over 2 hours....

    No reboots or crashes........

    I will copy some data & see what happens.
> [...]
    such
    > > pre-historic beasts as 360's, 370's, 1107's and other humungous
    computers
    > with
    > > punch card readers and paper tapes roamed the land. I see nothing in
    the
    > modern
    > > world of computing to deviate from a proven practice, and a lot of
    > experience
    > > that says it is the best practice... Ben Myers
    > >
    > > On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:41:02 -0500, "Jeff S." <jeffreys1966@yahoo.com>
    > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Since the hard drive test passed already and the system has only been
    > > >reloaded by Gateway (with their oddball image software...). There's
    > nothing
    > > >to lose by starting fresh from a clean load of software...
    > > >It takes all of an hour and will give a clean slate to go off of...

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000 (More info?)

    1. If GWSCAN 5.07 includes Data Lifeguard Diagnostics by Western Digital Corp,
    you are well covered for running manufacturer's hard drive diagnostics.

    2. Yep. Sounds like memory is the villain, especially in light of your more
    recent experiences. Contact Gateway and tell them the memory is bad, not the
    motherboard. Replacimg memory is easy, as you've found. Replacing a
    motherboard is more work, altho a Gateway chassis is a lot easier to work in
    than an HP, for example... Ben Myers

Gateway Computers