Disable on-board video in Dell M166a (yes, from 1991)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 5, 2005 3:26:44 PM

Hi everyone --

I'm trying to upgrade a friend's 8-bit video and bought an ATI Rage Pro
8MB PCI card. That thing of course won't install because the
system-board M166a video controller is not disabled. Therefore I gotta'
disable the thing. But the tech manuals are silent on the subject; and
there's nothing in the BIOS screen that lets me deal with it.

Yes, the machine definitely is a Dell M166a, 166MHz.

Can anyone point me to a source that will tell me?

Thanks so much!

More about : disable board video dell m166a 1991

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2005 5:39:56 PM

Are you sure it can even handle ANY kind of video card besides that?

If there's now where in the BIOS, then your last bet would be to check
the motherboard for a jumper.
March 6, 2005 2:54:30 AM

Thanks! Yes, there is a whole block of maybe 15 jumpers, all for the
display, but there is zero documentation as to what those jumpers mean.

I think I could just change one of those jumpers, as you say. Does
anyone know what each of those jumpers means? Thx!

-- Pete
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 4:14:35 AM

Have you attempted a look up on Google with the Motherboard model? It
should be listed in the mobo somewhere.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2005 4:21:58 AM

Did some snooping, and found that it uses the Intel 430VX PCIset chipset.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 15, 2005 5:58:34 AM

On 5 Mar 2005 12:26:44 -0800, "Pete" <pete@pwilson.net> wrote:

>Hi everyone --
>
>I'm trying to upgrade a friend's 8-bit video and bought an ATI Rage Pro
>8MB PCI card. That thing of course won't install because the
>system-board M166a video controller is not disabled. Therefore I gotta'
>disable the thing. But the tech manuals are silent on the subject; and
>there's nothing in the BIOS screen that lets me deal with it.
>
>Yes, the machine definitely is a Dell M166a, 166MHz.
>
>Can anyone point me to a source that will tell me?
>
>Thanks so much!

166mhz in '91? And to think i was stuck at 16mhz...
!