White shadow with LCD Monitor text

I wondered what was making single pixel checker-board patterns shimmer
on my desktop's analogue LCD monitor (Samsung 712N), though not my
laptop (which would have a direct digital connection from the video
card.) So, after a Google search, the following website:

http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html

helped me tune the clock/phasing of my analogue LCD monitor, and
eliminate the shimmering. But, when I had got that problem fixed, black
text on a white background would have a very small, but noticeable
(brighter) white area to the right of characters. See the image at the
following link for an exaggeration of what it looks like:

http://www.geocities.com/simonclarke/image.gif

This problem could be reduced, but only by putting the clock/phase out
of sync again. I'm going to call Samsung tech-support, but I'm
wondering what's causing this "white shadow" problem, and if possible
how to rectify?

If anybody needs any clarification, or more information please let me
know.

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Miner2049er.
5 answers Last reply
More about white shadow monitor text

    <google_groups@excite.com> wrote in message
    >I wondered what was making single pixel checker-board patterns shimmer
    > on my desktop's analogue LCD monitor (Samsung 712N), though not my
    > laptop (which would have a direct digital connection from the video
    > card.) So, after a Google search, the following website:
    >
    > http://www.techmind.org/lcd/phasing.html
    >
    > helped me tune the clock/phasing of my analogue LCD monitor, and
    > eliminate the shimmering. But, when I had got that problem fixed, black
    > text on a white background would have a very small, but noticeable
    > (brighter) white area to the right of characters. See the image at the
    > following link for an exaggeration of what it looks like:
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/simonclarke/image.gif
    >
    > This problem could be reduced, but only by putting the clock/phase out
    > of sync again. I'm going to call Samsung tech-support, but I'm
    > wondering what's causing this "white shadow" problem, and if possible
    > how to rectify?

    The 'ghosting' problem could be casued by a poor quality monitor cable or
    video card. Is the cable securely connected?

    If your monitor has a DVI connection you shouldn't get this problem - though
    normally even the standard VGA connector is OK.

    google_groups@excite.com writes:

    > This problem could be reduced, but only by putting the clock/phase out
    > of sync again. I'm going to call Samsung tech-support, but I'm
    > wondering what's causing this "white shadow" problem, and if possible
    > how to rectify?

    Probably a lack of bandwidth in the video card. The modulation
    overshoots a bit on fine details and you get white or black shadows of
    small details of opposite color.

    You can eliminate these problems by using digital input to the LCD,
    although that requires an LCD and video card that produce and accept
    digital signals, and digital signals have limitations of their own
    (indeed, the original monitor signals back in the CGA/EGA days were
    digital, but they were replaced by analog for greater flexibility--now
    the bandwagon has made another U-turn).

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > google_groups@excite.com writes:
    >
    > > This problem could be reduced, but only by putting the clock/phase out
    > > of sync again. I'm going to call Samsung tech-support, but I'm
    > > wondering what's causing this "white shadow" problem, and if possible
    > > how to rectify?
    >
    > Probably a lack of bandwidth in the video card. The modulation
    > overshoots a bit on fine details and you get white or black shadows of
    > small details of opposite color.

    Unlikely, although possible. Far more commonly, this is
    the result of an impedance mismatch or discontinuity in the
    video cabling and connector. (The definitive test is to try a
    different cable, preferably of a different length, and see if that
    affects the problem - even if it is only to move the shadow
    relative to the edge that's causing it.) Cures, if it IS the
    cable/connector, is to find a better cable, eliminate all
    unneccesary discontinuities in the signal path (i.e, video
    switches, or using several cables "daisy-chained" together
    rather than a single long one), etc.. Or, of course, switching to
    a digital interface such as DVI, if that's an option for you.

    Bob M.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Thanks for all the replies so far folks - here's the latest.

    I have yet to try another video cable as suggested, but yesterday
    (March 17, 2005) I called Samsung tech support, and described the
    problem as I have above.

    I spoke with Jason, a representative in the Louisiana customer care
    dept. who told me that "Samsung are aware of such a problem with this
    monitor", and they are sending me a replacement monitor.

    Let's see how that one looks.

    Miner2049er.

    Bob Myers wrote:
    > "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > google_groups@excite.com writes:
    > >
    > > > This problem could be reduced, but only by putting the
    clock/phase out
    > > > of sync again. I'm going to call Samsung tech-support, but I'm
    > > > wondering what's causing this "white shadow" problem, and if
    possible
    > > > how to rectify?
    > >
    > > Probably a lack of bandwidth in the video card. The modulation
    > > overshoots a bit on fine details and you get white or black shadows
    of
    > > small details of opposite color.
    >
    > Unlikely, although possible. Far more commonly, this is
    > the result of an impedance mismatch or discontinuity in the
    > video cabling and connector. (The definitive test is to try a
    > different cable, preferably of a different length, and see if that
    > affects the problem - even if it is only to move the shadow
    > relative to the edge that's causing it.) Cures, if it IS the
    > cable/connector, is to find a better cable, eliminate all
    > unneccesary discontinuities in the signal path (i.e, video
    > switches, or using several cables "daisy-chained" together
    > rather than a single long one), etc.. Or, of course, switching to
    > a digital interface such as DVI, if that's an option for you.
    >
    > Bob M.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    So, an update. The replacement monitor that Samsung sent (a refurbished
    unit) had less of the problemtatic white shadow, but had an
    always-bright-green pixel right in the middle of the screen.

    But, Samsung hadn't gotten my original purchased-new monitor back yet,
    so that went back to Office Depot, and they swapped it out for another
    new one. And Samsung are getting the replacement unit they sent
    returned.

    The second monitor from Office Depot also has better video than the
    first, and no dead pixels. So it looks like I'll be keeping that.

    Miner2049er.

    google_groups@excite.com wrote:
    > Thanks for all the replies so far folks - here's the latest.
    >
    > I have yet to try another video cable as suggested, but yesterday
    > (March 17, 2005) I called Samsung tech support, and described the
    > problem as I have above.
    >
    > I spoke with Jason, a representative in the Louisiana customer care
    > dept. who told me that "Samsung are aware of such a problem with this
    > monitor", and they are sending me a replacement monitor.
    >
    > Let's see how that one looks.
    >
    > Miner2049er.
    >

    > Bob Myers wrote:
    > > "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > clock/phase out
    > possible
    > > >
    > > > Probably a lack of bandwidth in the video card. The modulation
    > > > overshoots a bit on fine details and you get white or black
    shadows
    > of
    > > > small details of opposite color.
    > >
    > > Unlikely, although possible. Far more commonly, this is
    > > the result of an impedance mismatch or discontinuity in the
    > > video cabling and connector. (The definitive test is to try a
    > > different cable, preferably of a different length, and see if that
    > > affects the problem - even if it is only to move the shadow
    > > relative to the edge that's causing it.) Cures, if it IS the
    > > cable/connector, is to find a better cable, eliminate all
    > > unneccesary discontinuities in the signal path (i.e, video
    > > switches, or using several cables "daisy-chained" together
    > > rather than a single long one), etc.. Or, of course, switching to
    > > a digital interface such as DVI, if that's an option for you.
    > >
    > > Bob M.

Graphics Cards LCD Monitor Graphics