TV Tuner software with 16:9 support

Do any of the TV Tuner software packages support stretching a 16:9 image
broadcast in 4:3 format to fill the screen. In other words, I want to get
rid of the letterbox on my widescreeen LCD.
5 answers Last reply
More about tuner software support

    On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:45:17 -0500, "Bill Stock" <me7@privacy.net>
    wrote:

    >Do any of the TV Tuner software packages support stretching a 16:9 image
    >broadcast in 4:3 format to fill the screen. In other words, I want to get
    >rid of the letterbox on my widescreeen LCD.

    I expect some do if you look at the box specs, my Viewsonic external
    tuner does. But the image will look distorted because it wasn't
    broadcast in native 16:9 ratio.

    "Connected" <connected@somewhere.here> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:45:17 -0500, "Bill Stock" <me7@privacy.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Do any of the TV Tuner software packages support stretching a 16:9 image
    >>broadcast in 4:3 format to fill the screen. In other words, I want to get
    >>rid of the letterbox on my widescreeen LCD.
    >>

    > I expect some do if you look at the box specs, my Viewsonic external
    > tuner does. But the image will look distorted because it wasn't
    > broadcast in native 16:9 ratio.

    I knew I'd explained myself pisspoorly. :)

    The new monitor is 16:10. Shows on the satellite like SG1 and Atalantis are
    broadcast in 4:3 with black bars (letterbox) top and bottom. So the actual
    viewable image is 16:9. My current TV software (Winfast PVR) will let me
    stretch the image horizontally to fill the screen, but not vertically to get
    rid of the black bars. So the image I'm watching now IS distorted AND
    Letterbox. Software like PowerDVD lets you crop the black bars, so you can
    get back to the proper 16:9 format.

    TIA
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    >>> "Bill Stock" <me7@privacy.net wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Do any of the TV Tuner software packages support
    >>> stretching a 16:9 image broadcast in 4:3 format
    >>> to fill the screen. In other words, I want to get rid of the letterbox
    >>> on my widescreeen LCD.

    The word you are looking for is "scaling"; increasing
    the image size by an equal amount in both horizontal
    and vertical.

    > The new monitor is 16:10. Shows on the satellite
    > like SG1 and Atalantis are broadcast in 4:3 with
    > black bars (letterbox) top and bottom. So the actual
    > viewable image is 16:9. My current TV software
    > (Winfast PVR) will let me stretch the image
    > horizontally to fill the screen, but not vertically to
    > get rid of the black bars. So the image I'm watching
    > now IS distorted AND Letterbox.

    Letterbox laserdiscs pose the same problem for wide
    displays. Any w/s TV that lacks scaling is worth avoiding,
    and this includes several recent LCD models. If there
    were high-quality inexpensive aftermarket scalers available,
    it would be a different matter, but I haven't found any yet.
    It sounds like it's not a common feature of soft tuners either.

    The reason wide TVs lack scaling is that it isn't trivial
    to do properly. So anyone for whom it's an issue is
    advised to bring test programming to the store, or only
    buy when there's a return privilege.

  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > The word you are looking for is "scaling"; increasing
    > the image size by an equal amount in both horizontal
    > and vertical.
    >
    >> The new monitor is 16:10. Shows on the satellite
    >> like SG1 and Atalantis are broadcast in 4:3 with
    >> black bars (letterbox) top and bottom. So the actual
    >> viewable image is 16:9. My current TV software
    >> (Winfast PVR) will let me stretch the image
    >> horizontally to fill the screen, but not vertically to
    >> get rid of the black bars. So the image I'm watching
    >> now IS distorted AND Letterbox.
    >
    > Letterbox laserdiscs pose the same problem for wide
    > displays. Any w/s TV that lacks scaling is worth avoiding,
    > and this includes several recent LCD models. If there
    > were high-quality inexpensive aftermarket scalers available,
    > it would be a different matter, but I haven't found any yet.
    > It sounds like it's not a common feature of soft tuners either.

    Agreed. A friend recently bought a 27" ViewSonic LCD TV from Costco for a
    "good price". But it does not do Scaling, so now he's looking for an
    external solution. My Toshiba WS CRT TV has several cropping/scaling options
    built in. I guess the software tuners haven't adjusted to the new reality
    yet, as my older PowerDVD software does a decent job of scaling my DVDs to
    the proper aspect ratio.

    > The reason wide TVs lack scaling is that it isn't trivial
    > to do properly. So anyone for whom it's an issue is
    > advised to bring test programming to the store, or only
    > buy when there's a return privilege.
    >
    > --
    > Regards, Bob Niland mailto:name@ispname.tld
    > http://www.access-one.com/rjn email4rjn AT yahoo DOT com
    > NOT speaking for any employer, client or Internet Service Provider.
  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    Bill Stock wrote:
    > "Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    This is a different question, but it may lead to a work-around. Do any
    software packages support the zoom function? I use the zoom on my
    Mintek home DVD to get rid of the letterbox. The 4:3 format cuts off
    the sides anyway. I would have tried this with my computer (using
    PowerDVD and Powerproducer), but my movies all contain Macromedia,
    which I don't feel like installing. [The home workaround is to connect
    a VCR/DVD between the cable source and the computer]

Graphics Cards TV Tuner Support Software Graphics Product