video-in software / 6600GT

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

newb question on video capture - what's the best software to use with
the video-in on my GeForce 6600GT...? all i want it for is to view
TV/VHS on the PC, i have DivX pro so capture to DivX would be handy as
well.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

You're planning to hook up a vcr? On mine, the vivo composite in doesn't
come out filling the 4:3 window. It didn't on my vivo ti4200 either. The
sides are cropped and the bottom on some stations fizzes.

On my tv card it's ok. Works better when using the vcr into composite than
using the tv card's tuner.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

"gimp" <anonymous@smeg.com> wrote in message
> newb question on video capture - what's the best software to use with the
> video-in on my GeForce 6600GT...? all i want it for is to view TV/VHS on
> the PC, i have DivX pro so capture to DivX would be handy as well.

try Dscaler

Ed Light wrote:
> You're planning to hook up a vcr?

yep - i don't see why it shouldn't work.. but i noticed the editing
software that came with the Gainward VIVO card is only for DV/firewire
capture.

i checked nVidia's website and there's some sort of ForceWare multimedia
app that might do it, but oddly enough all the GeForce cards were
supported except the 6 series....???

"Ed Light" <nobody@nobody.there> wrote in message
> This should work.
>
> http://www.softwareoutlet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=4409

Oops I goofed, that oem version is inexpensive but doesn't do divx.
Plus it's not really for viewing, just capture and editing.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at
uce@ftc.gov
Thanks, robots.

Iain Dingsdale wrote:
> try Dscaler

when running the setup:
"The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
CS:0570 OP:0119 OP:65 63 74 20 61 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
application."

is it supposed to work with winXP?

also the earlier releases seem to be zip files that are just empty or
corrupt archives.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

"gimp" <anonymous@smeg.com> wrote in message
> newb question on video capture - what's the best software to use with the
> video-in on my GeForce 6600GT...? all i want it for is to view TV/VHS on
> the PC, i have DivX pro so capture to DivX would be handy as well.

download the tool "Windows Media Capture 9 Series" from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utilities.aspx

"Dave Hau" <nospam_doc_nospam_inthebox@nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message

> "gimp" <anonymous@smeg.com> wrote in message
>> newb question on video capture - what's the best software to use with the
>> video-in on my GeForce 6600GT...? all i want it for is to view TV/VHS on
>> the PC, i have DivX pro so capture to DivX would be handy as well.
>>

> download the tool "Windows Media Capture 9 Series" from here:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utilities.aspx

you also need to install the WDM driver from nvidia:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_winxp-2k-Me-98se_2.20

> "Dave Hau" <nospam_doc_nospam_inthebox@nospam_gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "gimp" <anonymous@smeg.com> wrote in message
>>> newb question on video capture - what's the best software to use with
>>> the video-in on my GeForce 6600GT...? all i want it for is to view
>>> TV/VHS on the PC, i have DivX pro so capture to DivX would be handy as
>>> well.
>>>

>> download the tool "Windows Media Capture 9 Series" from here:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/utilities.aspx
>>

> you also need to install the WDM driver from nvidia:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/wdm_winxp-2k-Me-98se_2.20

for encoding to divx, try virtualvcr:

http://www.doom9.org/capture/capturing_VirtualVCR.html

actually I recommend using wmv9 instead of divx, unless for some reason, you
want to view the video from linux or some os other than windows. The wmv9
codec is very well written and very stable, and has great compression
quality. If you're okay with using wmv9, you can use the tool "Windows
Media Encoder 9 Series" for encoding:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx