64mb or 128mb memory for laptop video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 22, 2005 8:14:05 AM

Hello,

I'm contemplating buying a new Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen
(1920x1200 resolution). The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon
X300, with the option for either 64mb or 128mb video DDR memory.

My son said that unless I was planning to play 3D games (which I have
no interest in doing), 64mb should be more than sufficient. I will use
the video for 2D rendering (image processing), for playing DVD
movies, and am contemplating HDTV playback (if this is possible --
don't know too much about it.)

So, what sayest everyone? 64mb or 128mb?

Thanks.

Mark
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 22, 2005 12:26:44 PM

Mark wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm contemplating buying a new Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen
> (1920x1200 resolution). The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon
> X300, with the option for either 64mb or 128mb video DDR memory.
>
> My son said that unless I was planning to play 3D games (which I have
> no interest in doing), 64mb should be more than sufficient. I will use
> the video for 2D rendering (image processing), for playing DVD
> movies, and am contemplating HDTV playback (if this is possible --
> don't know too much about it.)
>
> So, what sayest everyone? 64mb or 128mb?

What's the price difference? If it's 2 bucks go for the 128. If it's 200
bucks then don't.

In practical terms though everything you say you want to do you can do with
64.

HDTV playback should be fine--I can do it on a machine with a 9600 Mobility
64 MB--if you're trying to do it with Windows Media Player rather than a
third party application you may have trouble getting HD playback to
work--Media Player for some reason insists on picking the worst possible
codec for the job and doesn't allow for a manual override. Oddly, the
nvidia codec works really well for HD playback, even on ATI boards.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Mark <mark@nowhere.com> :
>Hello,
>
>I'm contemplating buying a new Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen
>(1920x1200 resolution). The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon
>X300, with the option for either 64mb or 128mb video DDR memory.
>
>My son said that unless I was planning to play 3D games (which I have
>no interest in doing), 64mb should be more than sufficient. I will use
>the video for 2D rendering (image processing), for playing DVD
>movies, and am contemplating HDTV playback (if this is possible --
>don't know too much about it.)
>
>So, what sayest everyone? 64mb or 128mb?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Mark
Listen to your son.
!