64mb or 128mb memory for laptop video card?

Hello,

I'm contemplating buying a new Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen
(1920x1200 resolution). The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon
X300, with the option for either 64mb or 128mb video DDR memory.

My son said that unless I was planning to play 3D games (which I have
no interest in doing), 64mb should be more than sufficient. I will use
the video for 2D rendering (image processing), for playing DVD
movies, and am contemplating HDTV playback (if this is possible --
don't know too much about it.)

So, what sayest everyone? 64mb or 128mb?

Thanks.

Mark
2 answers Last reply
More about 64mb 128mb memory laptop video card

    Mark wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm contemplating buying a new Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen
    > (1920x1200 resolution). The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon
    > X300, with the option for either 64mb or 128mb video DDR memory.
    >
    > My son said that unless I was planning to play 3D games (which I have
    > no interest in doing), 64mb should be more than sufficient. I will use
    > the video for 2D rendering (image processing), for playing DVD
    > movies, and am contemplating HDTV playback (if this is possible --
    > don't know too much about it.)
    >
    > So, what sayest everyone? 64mb or 128mb?

    What's the price difference? If it's 2 bucks go for the 128. If it's 200
    bucks then don't.

    In practical terms though everything you say you want to do you can do with
    64.

    HDTV playback should be fine--I can do it on a machine with a 9600 Mobility
    64 MB--if you're trying to do it with Windows Media Player rather than a
    third party application you may have trouble getting HD playback to
    work--Media Player for some reason insists on picking the worst possible
    codec for the job and doesn't allow for a manual override. Oddly, the
    nvidia codec works really well for HD playback, even on ATI boards.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Mark <mark@nowhere.com> :
    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm contemplating buying a new Dell laptop with a WUXGA screen
    >(1920x1200 resolution). The video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon
    >X300, with the option for either 64mb or 128mb video DDR memory.
    >
    >My son said that unless I was planning to play 3D games (which I have
    >no interest in doing), 64mb should be more than sufficient. I will use
    >the video for 2D rendering (image processing), for playing DVD
    >movies, and am contemplating HDTV playback (if this is possible --
    >don't know too much about it.)
    >
    >So, what sayest everyone? 64mb or 128mb?
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Mark
    Listen to your son.

Graphics Cards Video Graphics Product