Bram

your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
write it all again :O))

basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?

this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
or do you just go where you feel like?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

    The first time I played GTAIII I was coming up to a stop light and there was
    a cop there, so I obeyed the law, and pulled up to a stop behind him.
    Before the light turned green some low-life pulled me out of my car and
    stole it. The cop didn't blink an eye. From that point on, it was FTP!

    > your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    > long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    > write it all again :O))
    >
    > basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    > the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    > as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?
    >
    > this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    > to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    > or do you just go where you feel like?

    I've been driving six years and I tear the road up when I play GTA - Cars
    and wanted levels are too disposable to worry about pedestrians, and the
    only time I even drive with a modicum of care is when I'm going home to save
    after a tough mission

    "Jericho" <pushthelionheart@y2j.com> wrote in message
    >> your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    >> long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    >> write it all again :O))
    >>
    >> basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    >> the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    >> as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?
    >>
    >> this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    >> to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    >> or do you just go where you feel like?
    >>

    > I've been driving six years and I tear the road up when I play GTA - Cars
    > and wanted levels are too disposable to worry about pedestrians, and the
    > only time I even drive with a modicum of care is when I'm going home to
    > save after a tough mission

    I've been driving for 37 years. Hell, no -- CJ doesn't obey any traffic
    laws. It's haul balls until the car burns, then jack another (unless the
    mission requires care, or I'm trying to save the car, or, as you point out,
    if I've just passed a difficult mission). See, this is fantasy.

    I'm glad the cops are rather lax about that. As someone else pointed out,
    game play would definitely suffer if you had to stop for every red light.

    Careful of the opposite problem, however. Remember how Mom used to tell you
    not to go in the water until at least half an hour after you'd eaten? I
    recommend not getting behind the wheel of a real car until at least half an
    hour after playing a GTA game. And if a GTA tune comes on the radio while
    you're driving, change the station.

    --cleve

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > :O) When my son was having driving lessons the instructor asked him
    > if he had a playstation. when he said yes the guy said, thought so,
    > well, in real life you don't have to follow the racing line!

    I showed my son (3) VC last year, and got a bollockoing from my wife
    for showing him how to ride the kerb and knock people over. He got the
    hang of this rather quickly, yelling "clonk" and laughing like a madman
    every time he hit someone.

    After a while I began to be a bit concerned that he also ran 'people'
    over with his toy cars, so and was forced along to the local
    Gamestation. I told the guy behind the counter that I'd been told to
    ask if he could recommend a nice, safe driving game for 3 year old
    boys, and he grinned and said "You've shown him Vice City, haven't
    you?" When I asked him how he knew, he said they'd had several parents
    (read: fathers) in trying to correct worrying driving habits in small
    boys cause by GTA.

    S:)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Jericho wrote:

    > > your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    > > long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    > > write it all again :O))
    > >
    > > basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    > > the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    > > as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?
    > >
    > > this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    > > to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    > > or do you just go where you feel like?
    > >

    > I've been driving six years and I tear the road up when I play GTA - Cars
    > and wanted levels are too disposable to worry about pedestrians, and the
    > only time I even drive with a modicum of care is when I'm going home to save
    > after a tough mission

    and there's me driving with due care and consideration...

    yeah right :O)

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Buckaroo Banzai wrote:

    > The first time I played GTAIII I was coming up to a stop light and there was
    > a cop there, so I obeyed the law, and pulled up to a stop behind him.
    > Before the light turned green some low-life pulled me out of my car and
    > stole it. The cop didn't blink an eye. From that point on, it was FTP!

    at least it was the game and not real life :O) I have always found
    cops in gta games slam into you and then you get the fault, or some
    idiot starts to turn left or right then changes their mind at the last
    second.
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    >I have always found cops in gta games
    >slam into you and then you get the fault,

    I don't remember cops running into me in LC or VC, I don't think they
    got involved with other road users as much as they do in SA. Remember,
    the cops have got it in for CJ in SA, so I find it realistic that they
    blame him at any opportunity.

    Phil Hibbs.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Paul Heslop wrote:

    > On SA I just have no sound at all, we make it up as we go along, and
    > there's no mission play, just romping around, acting crazy and looking
    > for the highest things to jump off, or going up in a plane and both
    > jumping out together over the sea.

    That's the stage my son's at with SA. I'll drive sensibly to an airport
    and let him pilot planes or helicopters. we spent an enjoyable morning
    the other week trying to get CJ to jump out of a helicopter and land on
    his house from as high as possible.

    S:)
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    >As to driving style - pretty much the same as everyone else. I do tend to
    >avoid hitting peds if I can, though. I've got the SA "new game" mania so at
    >the moment, if I shunt someone and they get out with a baseball bat, spade
    >or similar, I drive past, do a quick handbrake turn and run them over, but I
    >expect even that novelty will wear off soon.

    I doubt it. Even now I like to jump out of bushes with the katana and
    hack away at the hookers.

    S:)
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Cleve wrote:

    > "Jericho" <pushthelionheart@y2j.com> wrote in message
    > >> your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    > >> long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    > >> write it all again :O))
    > >>
    > >> basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    > >> the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    > >> as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?
    > >>
    > >> this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    > >> to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    > >> or do you just go where you feel like?
    > >>

    > > I've been driving six years and I tear the road up when I play GTA - Cars
    > > and wanted levels are too disposable to worry about pedestrians, and the
    > > only time I even drive with a modicum of care is when I'm going home to
    > > save after a tough mission
    > >

    > I've been driving for 37 years. Hell, no -- CJ doesn't obey any traffic
    > laws. It's haul balls until the car burns, then jack another (unless the
    > mission requires care, or I'm trying to save the car, or, as you point out,
    > if I've just passed a difficult mission). See, this is fantasy.
    >
    > I'm glad the cops are rather lax about that. As someone else pointed out,
    > game play would definitely suffer if you had to stop for every red light.
    >
    > Careful of the opposite problem, however. Remember how Mom used to tell you
    > not to go in the water until at least half an hour after you'd eaten? I
    > recommend not getting behind the wheel of a real car until at least half an
    > hour after playing a GTA game. And if a GTA tune comes on the radio while
    > you're driving, change the station.
    >
    > --cleve

    :O) When my son was having driving lessons the instructor asked him
    if he had a playstation. when he said yes the guy said, thought so,
    well, in real life you don't have to follow the racing line!
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Paul said:
    > your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    > long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    > write it all again :O))

    Whoops, I sent it by email? My mistake..that probably didn't have a very
    sensible email address indeed :)

    > basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    > the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    > as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?

    In real life I tend to stick to the rules, because there's only so much
    damage you can do before they lock you away (bastards) ;)

    In GTA, I basically try to drive as fast as possible. If I have a really
    sturdy, heavy car, I just plough through anything that doesn't make the
    car spin. With a light, weak sports car I try to avoid bumping into lamp
    posts etc, because that will slow me down.

    On small bi-directional roads I try to stick to the right side, but I
    won't break if a car is blocking me. Instead, I'll just swerve past it
    on the left side, even with oncoming traffic (usually you can manage to
    get in between without a head-on collision. If you scrape another car on
    the side it doesn't really slow you down). If the curb doesn't contain
    irritating obstacles, that's an option as well.

    If time can be saved by cutting corners through parks, or any other kind
    of open space, I usually will.

    I don't care for pedestrians etc, they don't slow me down much. Except
    when I am on missions where police attention is very unwanted, then I
    tend to avoid the curbs.

    So basically, to sum it up, I don't follow any rules. Except for a
    tendency to stick to driving on the right side of the road if there's
    plenty of space and nothing to block me, perhaps. Though that only
    happens on the wide freeways. In which case I usually try to nab a bike
    since it's fast and can move between vehicles more easily.

    Bram
    --
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    > :O) That sounds like me in the game. I'll stop at lights etc if I can
    > be bothered, but didn't you used to get a star if you ran the lights,
    > or is that the Getaway or even Driver? Come to think of it I think
    > it's both!

    I suddenly remember a funny story.. a friend came over and played GTA3.
    He asked me if the cops would pull you over for running a red light, and
    I was like..what red light? Until then I had never even paid attention
    to the traffic lights! I figured they were decorative and didn't
    actually do anything :P

    Bram
    --
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    > long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    > write it all again :O))
    >
    > basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    > the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    > as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?
    >
    > this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    > to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    > or do you just go where you feel like?
    >
    > --
    > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    > Stop and Look

    Hi Paul

    Not me! I just try to get wherever I'm going as quickly as possible, whether
    there's a timer running or not. Sometimes I try driving by the rules to see
    if I notice any interesting stuff going on around me, but it doesn't take
    long before I get fed up with waiting behind the other drivers. It's quite
    difficult to keep going that slowly, and of course if you shunt someone in
    SA, they go crazy and start trying to ram you off the road.

    In real life, I should point out, I am a safe and courteous driver. You know
    that guy who let you in when you were trying to change lanes the other day?
    That was probably me.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    <crankylemming@aol.com> wrote in message

    > I showed my son (3) VC last year, and got a bollockoing from my wife
    > for showing him how to ride the kerb and knock people over. He got the
    > hang of this rather quickly, yelling "clonk" and laughing like a madman
    > every time he hit someone.
    >
    > After a while I began to be a bit concerned...

    I don't think you need to worry. Our five-year-old has an excellent grasp of
    the difference between reality and games' virtual reality. In VC (he was 4,
    then) he would prefer to run around bopping people, and I got worried
    because he ran straight up to one an said "Look - this one looks just like
    Mummy" - bonk.

    Anyway, he's the most loving child you could ever hope to meet, and the
    things he says to his mum would make your heart melt. He's not getting his
    hands on SA, though - the bad language removes that possibility (which is a
    shame, because he's quite a good driver in VC now).
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > :O) When my son was having driving lessons the instructor asked him
    > if he had a playstation. when he said yes the guy said, thought so,
    > well, in real life you don't have to follow the racing line!

    Hmmm. I'd have told him to follow a racing line whenever it's safe and legal
    to do so. Flattening out bends on fast country roads, for example.

    IMO understanding of the concept of the racing line implies understanding of
    how to control the car. That can only be a good thing, surely...
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > I have always found
    > cops in gta games slam into you and then you get the fault, or some
    > idiot starts to turn left or right then changes their mind at the last
    > second.

    The worst thing is cops ignoring other people hitting them, or even ignoring
    you when you're barrelling down the wrong side of the road of a built-up
    area in an Infernus at full speed; but if they unexpectedly cut across your
    path and you so much as touch their car, you get a wanted star.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

    > this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    > to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    > or do you just go where you feel like?

    When I started (VC) I was always driving on the left. Now, I actually do
    spend more time on the "correct" side of the road.

    As to driving style - pretty much the same as everyone else. I do tend to
    avoid hitting peds if I can, though. I've got the SA "new game" mania so at
    the moment, if I shunt someone and they get out with a baseball bat, spade
    or similar, I drive past, do a quick handbrake turn and run them over, but I
    expect even that novelty will wear off soon.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    crankylemming@aol.com wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > :O) When my son was having driving lessons the instructor asked him
    > > if he had a playstation. when he said yes the guy said, thought so,
    > > well, in real life you don't have to follow the racing line!
    >
    > I showed my son (3) VC last year, and got a bollockoing from my wife
    > for showing him how to ride the kerb and knock people over. He got the
    > hang of this rather quickly, yelling "clonk" and laughing like a madman
    > every time he hit someone.
    >
    > After a while I began to be a bit concerned that he also ran 'people'
    > over with his toy cars, so and was forced along to the local
    > Gamestation. I told the guy behind the counter that I'd been told to
    > ask if he could recommend a nice, safe driving game for 3 year old
    > boys, and he grinned and said "You've shown him Vice City, haven't
    > you?" When I asked him how he knew, he said they'd had several parents
    > (read: fathers) in trying to correct worrying driving habits in small
    > boys cause by GTA.
    >
    > S:)

    I allow the little ones a certain amount of GTA play, usually with
    sound off and they do get quite evil at times, but in a very Tom and
    Jerry way with lots of exaggeration of play sounds etc. My biggest
    mistake was the use of a baseball bat, pretending I was playing the
    real game on that little playing area in San Fiero. So I'd actually do
    the 'swing batta batta batta.' which i picked up from Bugs Bunny years
    ago. So now that's her thing, running round chasing Carl in 2 player
    mode, slapping him with the bat and shouting 'swing batta batta!' and
    for some reason when the second player attacks him he doesn't seem to
    be able to get a punch in, just stands there getting slugged like an
    idiot. Destroyed by a four year old monster!

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    G Hardy wrote:

    > <crankylemming@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > I showed my son (3) VC last year, and got a bollockoing from my wife
    > > for showing him how to ride the kerb and knock people over. He got the
    > > hang of this rather quickly, yelling "clonk" and laughing like a madman
    > > every time he hit someone.
    > >
    > > After a while I began to be a bit concerned...
    >
    > I don't think you need to worry. Our five-year-old has an excellent grasp of
    > the difference between reality and games' virtual reality. In VC (he was 4,
    > then) he would prefer to run around bopping people, and I got worried
    > because he ran straight up to one an said "Look - this one looks just like
    > Mummy" - bonk.
    >
    > Anyway, he's the most loving child you could ever hope to meet, and the
    > things he says to his mum would make your heart melt. He's not getting his
    > hands on SA, though - the bad language removes that possibility (which is a
    > shame, because he's quite a good driver in VC now).

    that's our littluns. They're absolute treasures but they do enjoy a
    bit of smash and bash. let's face it, this is just role play, army
    games etc that we played as kids they play in a virtual world.

    On SA I just have no sound at all, we make it up as we go along, and
    there's no mission play, just romping around, acting crazy and looking
    for the highest things to jump off, or going up in a plane and both
    jumping out together over the sea.
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    G Hardy wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > :O) When my son was having driving lessons the instructor asked him
    > > if he had a playstation. when he said yes the guy said, thought so,
    > > well, in real life you don't have to follow the racing line!
    >
    > Hmmm. I'd have told him to follow a racing line whenever it's safe and legal
    > to do so. Flattening out bends on fast country roads, for example.
    >
    > IMO understanding of the concept of the racing line implies understanding of
    > how to control the car. That can only be a good thing, surely...

    Well I don't think he was mad at him for it but he did say it was in
    town so i could understand the slight concern. He thought it was funny
    though, and he did pass first time
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    G Hardy wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > I have always found
    > > cops in gta games slam into you and then you get the fault, or some
    > > idiot starts to turn left or right then changes their mind at the last
    > > second.
    >
    > The worst thing is cops ignoring other people hitting them, or even ignoring
    > you when you're barrelling down the wrong side of the road of a built-up
    > area in an Infernus at full speed; but if they unexpectedly cut across your
    > path and you so much as touch their car, you get a wanted star.

    yup. weird I tells ya
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Chris Wright wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    > > long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    > > write it all again :O))
    > >
    > > basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    > > the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    > > as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?
    > >
    > > this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    > > to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    > > or do you just go where you feel like?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    > > Stop and Look
    >
    > Hi Paul
    >
    > Not me! I just try to get wherever I'm going as quickly as possible, whether
    > there's a timer running or not. Sometimes I try driving by the rules to see
    > if I notice any interesting stuff going on around me, but it doesn't take
    > long before I get fed up with waiting behind the other drivers. It's quite
    > difficult to keep going that slowly, and of course if you shunt someone in
    > SA, they go crazy and start trying to ram you off the road.
    >
    > In real life, I should point out, I am a safe and courteous driver. You know
    > that guy who let you in when you were trying to change lanes the other day?
    > That was probably me.

    :O) Mr safety huh? I do find myself trying sometimes, specially on
    the twisty roads, to stay in lane and only overtake when it's clear
    but almost as soon as you jam your foot down some idiot appears three
    feet away on the other side.
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    Bram wrote:

    > Paul said:
    > > your message about the driving school came to me via email and I had a
    > > long rant back only to find it got returned... i can;t be arsed to
    > > write it all again :O))
    > >
    > Whoops, I sent it by email? My mistake..that probably didn't have a very
    > sensible email address indeed :)

    not at all, bounced back like a boomerang :O) I spent ages twaddling
    on about something, no way I was doing all that again :O)

    > > basically I was wondering if you as a driver just naturally keep to
    > > the right side of the road and drive reasonably well, or do you drive
    > > as I do, with no due care for other road users/pedestrians etc?
    > >
    > In real life I tend to stick to the rules, because there's only so much
    > damage you can do before they lock you away (bastards) ;)

    :O)

    > In GTA, I basically try to drive as fast as possible. If I have a really
    > sturdy, heavy car, I just plough through anything that doesn't make the
    > car spin. With a light, weak sports car I try to avoid bumping into lamp
    > posts etc, because that will slow me down.

    Always hitting something. The most annoying thing is coming up that
    little rail track from the docks on san fiero and hitting, what? I
    don't know what it hits but it throws the car right over sometimes

    > On small bi-directional roads I try to stick to the right side, but I
    > won't break if a car is blocking me. Instead, I'll just swerve past it
    > on the left side, even with oncoming traffic (usually you can manage to
    > get in between without a head-on collision. If you scrape another car on
    > the side it doesn't really slow you down). If the curb doesn't contain
    > irritating obstacles, that's an option as well.

    yup, sounds very like little old none driver me

    > If time can be saved by cutting corners through parks, or any other kind
    > of open space, I usually will.

    Off roaders really are a a pleasure for this. I was thrilled to find
    the sand king again!

    > I don't care for pedestrians etc, they don't slow me down much. Except
    > when I am on missions where police attention is very unwanted, then I
    > tend to avoid the curbs.

    yeah, those damned pedestrians are always slowing me down, bouncing
    helplessly off the bonnet of my car

    > So basically, to sum it up, I don't follow any rules. Except for a
    > tendency to stick to driving on the right side of the road if there's
    > plenty of space and nothing to block me, perhaps. Though that only
    > happens on the wide freeways. In which case I usually try to nab a bike
    > since it's fast and can move between vehicles more easily.
    >
    > Bram
    > --
    > Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

    Yeah, freeways are almost impossible to drive the wrong side of,
    although as you point out a bike can be so much better. It's nice to
    know it's not just us none drivers who drive like loonies :O))

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    G Hardy wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
    >
    > > this is an open question to other players. If you drive in real life
    > > to you find yourself following the rules when you play games like this
    > > or do you just go where you feel like?
    >
    > When I started (VC) I was always driving on the left. Now, I actually do
    > spend more time on the "correct" side of the road.
    >
    > As to driving style - pretty much the same as everyone else. I do tend to
    > avoid hitting peds if I can, though. I've got the SA "new game" mania so at
    > the moment, if I shunt someone and they get out with a baseball bat, spade
    > or similar, I drive past, do a quick handbrake turn and run them over, but I
    > expect even that novelty will wear off soon.

    nah, it's with you forever, though i prefer jumping out and pointing
    an Desert Eagle straight at their foreheads, for some reason they lose
    a little of their bravado
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    "G Hardy" <gareth.hardy1@ntlwrold.com> wrote in message
    > <crankylemming@aol.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> I showed my son (3) VC last year, and got a bollockoing from my wife
    >> for showing him how to ride the kerb and knock people over. He got the
    >> hang of this rather quickly, yelling "clonk" and laughing like a madman
    >> every time he hit someone.
    >>
    >> After a while I began to be a bit concerned...
    >
    > I don't think you need to worry. Our five-year-old has an excellent grasp
    > of
    > the difference between reality and games' virtual reality. In VC (he was
    > 4,
    > then) he would prefer to run around bopping people, and I got worried
    > because he ran straight up to one an said "Look - this one looks just like
    > Mummy" - bonk.
    >
    > Anyway, he's the most loving child you could ever hope to meet, and the
    > things he says to his mum would make your heart melt. He's not getting his
    > hands on SA, though - the bad language removes that possibility (which is
    > shame, because he's quite a good driver in VC now).

    I'm in the same situation, my son's the same age as yours and also played
    VC. This subject keeps coming up, I hope Rockstar are watching with a view
    to putting in child-safe options into future GTAs.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    crankylemming@aol.com wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    >
    > > On SA I just have no sound at all, we make it up as we go along, and
    > > there's no mission play, just romping around, acting crazy and looking
    > > for the highest things to jump off, or going up in a plane and both
    > > jumping out together over the sea.
    >
    > That's the stage my son's at with SA. I'll drive sensibly to an airport
    > and let him pilot planes or helicopters. we spent an enjoyable morning
    > the other week trying to get CJ to jump out of a helicopter and land on
    > his house from as high as possible.
    >
    > S:)

    I'm torn with this. i did make sure their parents are all okay with
    it (One of them plays it at home with sound ON!) and i try to restrict
    what they do but in general It's all about fun. Mind you, trying to
    explain why the camera was moving around so much while CJ and his
    girlfriend were having a coffee wasn't easy. Lucky they've heard of
    earthquakes :O))

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    snarks@gmail.com wrote:

    > >I have always found cops in gta games
    > >slam into you and then you get the fault,
    >
    > I don't remember cops running into me in LC or VC, I don't think they
    > got involved with other road users as much as they do in SA. Remember,
    > the cops have got it in for CJ in SA, so I find it realistic that they
    > blame him at any opportunity.
    >
    > Phil Hibbs.

    worse in the last chapters where for a period all he has to do is
    whistle slightly off key to have an arrest warrant issued on his ass

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:20:31 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <paul.heslop@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >crankylemming@aol.com wrote:
    >>
    >> Paul Heslop wrote:
    >>
    >> > On SA I just have no sound at all, we make it up as we go along, and
    >> > there's no mission play, just romping around, acting crazy and looking
    >> > for the highest things to jump off, or going up in a plane and both
    >> > jumping out together over the sea.
    >>
    >> That's the stage my son's at with SA. I'll drive sensibly to an airport
    >> and let him pilot planes or helicopters. we spent an enjoyable morning
    >> the other week trying to get CJ to jump out of a helicopter and land on
    >> his house from as high as possible.
    >>
    >> S:)
    >
    > I'm torn with this. i did make sure their parents are all okay with
    >it (One of them plays it at home with sound ON!) and i try to restrict
    >what they do but in general It's all about fun. Mind you, trying to
    >explain why the camera was moving around so much while CJ and his
    >girlfriend were having a coffee wasn't easy. Lucky they've heard of
    >earthquakes :O))

    Earthquakes, haha. Good call on that one
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.grand-theft-auto (More info?)

    adcb wrote:

    > > I'm torn with this. i did make sure their parents are all okay with
    > >it (One of them plays it at home with sound ON!) and i try to restrict
    > >what they do but in general It's all about fun. Mind you, trying to
    > >explain why the camera was moving around so much while CJ and his
    > >girlfriend were having a coffee wasn't easy. Lucky they've heard of
    > >earthquakes :O))
    >
    > Earthquakes, haha. Good call on that one

    Best when my wife nipped out of the room for a minute. I leave the
    headphones plugged in and the kids know not to put them on... so they
    get to hear a kind of muffled gunshot etc but nowt else. So my wife
    leaves the room and come back the littlest has the phones on her head.
    My wife tries to take them off her and she says "I'm just answering
    the phone, it's his girlfriend!"
    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look