Recovery CD

I had written earlier regarding an 820GM media center computer from Best
Buy...So far I was going to keep, return, keep, return. Now I am at the
return stage again. I just realized the only way to restore this computer
is to use the restore disk which is a ghost image that returns to factory
config. I called Gateway and they said that is the only way to restore os
or anything else. I explained that I don't use AOL or Money etc and don't
want them on the system and shouldn't have to reinstall, lose everything I
put on and then still have to remove junk. Basically too bad. My first
thought is to get a copy of XP (illegal, I know) install and use. However I
would still have to get drivers as they are part of the image also. Since I
have no tech specs, I can't just go to the website. So I am back to square
one. I understand the piracy problem, but there must be another way.
My question is ---If I order a computer direct from Gateway, do they still
ship with the os on a separate disk, drivers on one and applications on one
as in the past, or is it one ghost image to restore to factory system only
option? Gateway tech said they don't ship disks but images on the hard
drive to create your own (even that is ok with me) but those disks would
then be as above. OS - drivers- applications. Before I order another I
want to be sure.
It seems as tho all the manufactures are going to a ghost (or like) image as
the only option. I checked on Dell newsgroup and saw similar messages. If
that is the only way, I would rather build my own.
I know this is long but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Pam wrote:
<snippity>
> It seems as tho all the manufactures are going to a ghost (or like) image as
> the only option. I checked on Dell newsgroup and saw similar messages. If
> that is the only way, I would rather build my own.
> I know this is long but any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks

Pam,

It is my impression that "recovery cds" are here to stay. Building your
own can be both educational and rewarding (and sometimes heartbreaking).
IIf you go that route, just make sure you have access to the web and
know where all the groups with similar hardware hangout.

Enkidu

Buy yourself a program like Ghost that creates a drive image. Once you get
your computer set up the way you want it create your own back CDs. You can
do this every once in a while as you add things. Another thing I recommend
is to get Partition Magic and partition your drive so you can keep your data
files on a separate partition from the OS. This won't help if you have a
hard drive failure but it will if you have to reformat for other reasons.
You'll have a hard time finding a computer that isn't set up this way
anymore.

"Pam" <me@home.com> wrote in message
[...]

If the Gatway restore DVD's are like the Emachines ones (should be), the
drivers are available on the disk itself. Try putting the disk in while
running in windows to see if it pops up anything about drivers.

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 08:08:14 -0500, Enkidu <Enkidu@spamblock.net>
wrote:

>Pam wrote:
><snippity>
>> It seems as tho all the manufactures are going to a ghost (or like) image as
>> the only option. I checked on Dell newsgroup and saw similar messages. If
>> that is the only way, I would rather build my own.
>> I know this is long but any help would be appreciated.
>> Thanks
>
>Pam,
>
>It is my impression that "recovery cds" are here to stay. Building your
>own can be both educational and rewarding (and sometimes heartbreaking).
>IIf you go that route, just make sure you have access to the web and
>know where all the groups with similar hardware hangout.
>
>Enkidu

To add to this - If you are going to build, do it half way. Look for
a assembler, such as/but limited to Monarch computers, that will
assemble "AND TEST" the MB, CPU/Fan, and RAM for you. You may or may
not want them to put it into a case of your choice. The key here is
testing these major components before they reach you. Also think of
spending a little more for "box" components that have the full
manufacturers warranty. The few dollars you spend over OEM parts can
be well worth it in the long run if you are a novice.