problems with radeon 9600 pro

Ok, maybe an old record, but I'm having issues with my radeon 9600 pro.
Its installed on a MSI K8MM-ILSR board (VIA K8M800 chipset), updated
all the motherboard and chipset drivers, pulled one of the memeory
sticks, tweaked the bios every which way, but the system will crash
everytime I log on (as soon as the systray finished loading). With the
radeon pulled and using the onboard video the system works flawlessly.
Anybody come across anything similar?

You have to disable the onboard video in the BIOS in order to use the 9600
( just in case you had missed that.)

--
DaveW