how long vga cable is possible

Hi there,

how long vga cable is possible without significant loss of signal and
loss of image quality?

I'm to send my pc box into exile 'cause I want not listen to its
noise...

- Gergely
5 answers Last reply
More about long cable possible

    Buday Gergely wrote:

    > how long vga cable is possible without significant loss
    > of signal and loss of image quality?

    It depends on (in about this order):
    * cable quality
    * resolution (higher is tougher)
    * refresh rate (ditto)
    * card video amplifiers
    * monitor

    You can usually go 6 to 20 ft with retail cables.
    Replace your entire short cable with a long one.

    >From 20 to 180 ft, you need high-quality low-capacitance
    75 ohm cables.

    Beyond that (or maybe even below that, depending on
    price), look at active extenders or even KVM over IP.

    Fibre optic extenders also exist, but these are likely
    way beyond your requirements.

    Don't forget, you also need to extend your keyboard
    and mouse ports, whether PS/2 or USB, and that can
    be more of a challenge than remoting the graphics.

    Beyond 10 feet in length you may begin to pick up interference.

    --
    DaveW

    "Buday Gergely" <gergoe@math.bme.hu> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > how long vga cable is possible without significant loss of signal and loss
    > of image quality?
    >
    > I'm to send my pc box into exile 'cause I want not listen to its noise...
    >
    > - Gergely
  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    rjn wrote:

    > Buday Gergely wrote:
    >
    >> how long vga cable is possible without significant loss
    >> of signal and loss of image quality?
    >
    > It depends on (in about this order):
    > * cable quality
    > * resolution (higher is tougher)
    > * refresh rate (ditto)
    > * card video amplifiers
    > * monitor
    >
    > You can usually go 6 to 20 ft with retail cables.
    > Replace your entire short cable with a long one.
    >
    >>From 20 to 180 ft, you need high-quality low-capacitance
    > 75 ohm cables.
    >
    > Beyond that (or maybe even below that, depending on
    > price), look at active extenders or even KVM over IP.
    >
    > Fibre optic extenders also exist, but these are likely
    > way beyond your requirements.
    >
    > Don't forget, you also need to extend your keyboard
    > and mouse ports, whether PS/2 or USB, and that can
    > be more of a challenge than remoting the graphics.

    Personally I'd look at quieting the machine.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    Dave W wrote:

    > Beyond 10 feet in length you may begin to pick up interference

    Using ordinary cable, sure. But if you break out the
    RGBhv lines and send each via dedicated coax, like NTI
    does with their "VEXT-RG11-xx"
    <http://www.nti1.com/cable-custom.html>,
    that's less likely.

    I've not used their products, but they claim to be able
    to hit 500 ft. passively with this construction.

    And as I mentioned earlier, this is well beyond
    the trivial extensions to PS/2 and USB. Hello keyboard.
    Have you seen mouse?

    NTI impairs their credibility by offering a passive USB
    Style A m-to-f extension cable (in the "USBVEXT-3/6/10",
    perhaps others). Violates standard. Not wise. I own such
    a USB cable, and would never use it for any critical
    application.

  5. Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video (More info?)

    "Buday Gergely" <gergoe@math.bme.hu> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > how long vga cable is possible without significant loss of signal and loss
    > of image quality?
    >
    > I'm to send my pc box into exile 'cause I want not listen to its noise...
    >
    > - Gergely

    Look into a class of products loosely called "KVM" (Keyboard Video
    Mouse).
    They supposedly buffer the 3 connections, allowing the very thing you
    desire. Can't
    comment about loss of quality as I never actually tried any.
    Speaking of video cables only, I've seen bad reflections on setups with
    no more than
    a typical 1.8 to 2 meter length - the video card and monitor impedances are
    just as
    important as the cable quality. If either of those are suspect, getting the
    best cable in
    the world will not fix it.

Graphics Cards Hardware VGA Cable Graphics Product