Sign in with
Your question

Xp to windows 7 suggestions please

Last response: in Windows 7
November 16, 2010 12:31:46 AM

I have been with 32 bit XP since the beginning of time and have decided to make the windows 7 jump. I use my rig for casual gaming and general email/internet/office use. I will be going with the 64 bit version, my options are: OEM, full retail, or retail upgrade(home premium). Money is a huge factor here.

OEM - Cheap but I tend to swap parts, upgrade, and do fresh installs fairly often. I’m worried that I will run into issues down the road with MS denying activation with these activities.

Full Retail - I understand that I can install the full retail as much as I like as long as it resides on one computer. This would eliminate any fear with upgrading/part swapping/fresh installs. This would cost me $70+ on top of the OEM version. Again Money is a big factor here.

Retail upgrade - I believe I would get the retail benefits of installing as much as I want but each install would require me to fully install xp as well. Price is the same as OEM but installs would take a lot of time.

Current spec's:
Phenom 2 x4 925
M4A79XTD EVO asus mobo
4 gigs g-skill ddr3 1600
gigabyte amd 6870
creative xfi xtreamgamer
500gig seagate 7200 rpm hd (main hd)
wd 750gig 5400 rpm hd (storage)
soon to be 23 inch VH236H asus lcd

More about : windows suggestions

a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2010 5:24:22 AM

I suggest you consider this:

http://technet.microsoft.com

The Standard subscription gets you 2 licenses of each version of Windows and Office (plus LOTS of other goodies), for a grand total of $199. In terms of value for money, Technet is unbeatable.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2010 6:36:22 AM

more cheap from hack rapid :D 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2010 7:28:28 AM

henydiah said:
more cheap from hack rapid :D 

What is that supposed to mean??
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2010 3:10:32 PM

Hi TTU03,

You may also want to consider the Windows 7 Family Pack which retails for $149. It includes 3 Upgrade licenses so you can upgrade your computer plus two others that are currently running XP or Vista (maybe others in your family would like to upgrade as well) - http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-7-Home-Pre...

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 16, 2010 11:30:19 PM

the 3 pack is the clear winner for cash value!
m
l
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 16, 2010 11:33:26 PM

plus microsoft was giving away a free linksys router with purchase i believe!
m
l
November 17, 2010 1:01:31 AM

Well it seems as if the upgrade version will be fine for my needs. It is a retail package so i will not be limited to number of installs as long as it is installed on one pc. It also looks like a person can "double install" if needed. "Double install" should not hinder a license becaue I own a legit copy and license of a pervious os(xp). The family package does make sense for the price, I dont need the other two licenses right now but that could change.
m
l
!