processor. The motherboard only supports the rather weird RDRAM memory. Is
it possible to upgrade the processor to something faster (> 3 Ghz)?

I think that board only supports the 533fsb, so the 3.06ghz is the fastest
choice I believe. $200 at newegg.com

"Neal Stoughton" <nmstough@uci.edu> wrote in message
news:BDB7A168.1EB80%nmstough@uci.edu...
>I have a Gateway Lexington 2 motherboard running a 2.4Ghz pentium 4
> processor. The motherboard only supports the rather weird RDRAM memory.
> Is
> it possible to upgrade the processor to something faster (> 3 Ghz)?

Depending on which version you have, it'll take either a 400 or 533 MHz bus
CPU, EXCEPT the Prescott-core (1M cache) or Celeron-D CPUs.

If you have 45 ns RDRAM and/or an 850 chipset, you're limited to a 400 MHz
bus CPU - 2.8 is as fast as you can get on a 400 bus now.

There's a 3.06/533 which you can use, if your board has an 850e chipset and
you have 40 ns RDRAM - if you have an 850 chipset (no e) or 45 ns RDRAM, you
can't use the 533 bus CPUs.

The processor must have a 512K cache - the 1M units will not work, nor will
any of those with an 800 MHz frontside bus. If you try to run a 533 CPU on
a board with a 400 MHz chipset, it will run at reduced speed (i.e., a 3.06
would run at 2.3 GHz).