Sygate Personal Firewall Pro vs. hardware solution

How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate Personal
Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware solution?

Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire
machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could?

yo@viacorreo.net wrote in news:41116beb$1_1@127.0.0.1:

> How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate
> Personal Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware
> solution?
>
> Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire
> machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could?

There is no software or hardware solution that can do that. If you have
an O/S such as an NT based O/S, then that's where you start in the
protection is to secure it from attack. The hardware or software solution
is secondary to the O/S, IMHO.

Some people go with both solutions with a layered protection approach, a
good AV, and using safe hex.

Duane :)

yo@viacorreo.net wrote:

> How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate Personal
> Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware solution?
>
> Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire
> machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could?

No, because it is running *on* the machine. Any vulnerability in the
"software firewall" might compromise the entire system.

Thor

--
http://www.anta.net/