Sygate Personal Firewall Pro vs. hardware solution

How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate Personal
Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware solution?

Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire
machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could?
2 answers Last reply
More about sygate personal firewall hardware solution

    yo@viacorreo.net wrote in news:41116beb$1_1@127.0.0.1:

    > How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate
    > Personal Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware
    > solution?
    >
    > Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire
    > machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could?

    There is no software or hardware solution that can do that. If you have
    an O/S such as an NT based O/S, then that's where you start in the
    protection is to secure it from attack. The hardware or software solution
    is secondary to the O/S, IMHO.

    Some people go with both solutions with a layered protection approach, a
    good AV, and using safe hex.

    Duane :)

    yo@viacorreo.net wrote:

    > How secure is my laptop, running its current installation of Sygate Personal
    > Firewall Pro, as opposed to using an external hardware solution?
    >
    > Is a software firewall really capable of totally isolating the entire
    > machine from any type of attack, just like a firewall solution could?

    No, because it is running *on* the machine. Any vulnerability in the
    "software firewall" might compromise the entire system.

    Thor

    --
    http://www.anta.net/

Firewalls Hardware Security Networking