Cannot Map Network Drive???

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdawgsss

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hey guys,

Yesterday i reformated my Computer and reinstalled windows 7 ultimate on my main computer.

but now i cannot map the other 2 computer (both XP) together.

before i remember on my win7 there was a homegroup, which all of the computers connected together and everything was good but now since i reformated maybe the homegroup on my machine is different from before, is that affecting why i cannot see the other computers now?

so how can i remap them again to THIS machine i have now.

Can someone please help me out... :(

Thank you

Solution
First make sure both machines are members of the same Workgroup which by default is named Workgroup.
On the Windows 7 machine go into Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Network and Sharing Center then click on Change advanced sharing settings.

You will want to verify the following settings under Advanced Sharing Settings for the Home or Work and Public profile.
If you want any user to have access the public shares turn off password protection.

or just go http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

kdawgsss

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
oh also the 2 xp machines are still connected i can map those two computers A to B and B to A but cannot map with my newly reformatted window 7. ( i used windows 7 ultimate before as well and it worked).

modem is netgear dg834g

if that helps.

First make sure both machines are members of the same Workgroup which by default is named Workgroup.
On the Windows 7 machine go into Control Panel \ All Control Panel Items \ Network and Sharing Center then click on Change advanced sharing settings.

You will want to verify the following settings under Advanced Sharing Settings for the Home or Work and Public profile.
If you want any user to have access the public shares turn off password protection.

or just go http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

Solution

kdawgsss

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2008
Hey Thanks for reply,

i got the answer to my question from a friend at uni over msn

all i had to do is My Computer / Properties / Adv system settings / Computer name / Change / Workgroup / and change the name to the same name on the other 2 computers. restart and everything returned to normal. =D

I hope this helps someone in the future if they come across this problem.

Speaking of problems,

Can i ask can u map over wireless? (laptop)

Status
Not open for further replies.