LCD test software?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just bought a Samsung 730B and so far quite favorably impressed except
for 1 bad pixel down in the corner. There maybe more but with all the
stuff in Windows screens it's hard to check the status of individual
pixels. Can anyone suggest some free test software that will, at least,
show all black, white, red, green or blue. I'm not sure what other tests
are relevant for an LCD.

Jerry wrote:

> Can anyone suggest some free test software that will,
> at least, show all black, white, red, green or blue.

You can use MS Paint (Windows) or Gimp (Linux) to
create all-solid color .BMPs. Size doesn't really matter.
Set each as stretched or tiled wallpaper, then inspect.
Drag the top of the StartBar down in Windows to inspect
the near-bottom rows.

If you can create the .bmp at your viewing res, Paint's
View > ViewBitmap (aka Ctrl+F) will display it fullscreen.

I'd suggest creating one .bmp for each screen primary (red,
blue, green), as well as all-white, all-black and 50% gray.

> ... 1 bad pixel down in the corner.

Duff pixels come in various flavors - hot, dead, stuck,
but I'd guess that most of the time the defect affects
just one primary color and not the whole pel triad.

dw

Look for Dead Pixel Buddy on Google. It fires up full screens of white,
black, red, green, blue or any custom color you like. Nice for finding
dead pixels and checking the uniformity of the backlight.

fisher

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:01:14 -0700, Jerry <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I just bought a Samsung 730B and so far quite favorably impressed except
>for 1 bad pixel down in the corner. There maybe more but with all the
>stuff in Windows screens it's hard to check the status of individual
>pixels. Can anyone suggest some free test software that will, at least,
>show all black, white, red, green or blue. I'm not sure what other tests
>are relevant for an LCD.

Download the "Nokia Monitor Test" from here
http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_monitor.html
and run that.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did find one other bad pixel near the
edge that I could easily ignore. But original 1 I saw is bigger. Maybe
it's actually 2 or more bad ones together. I'll have to dig out a
magnifying glass when I get home.

Jerry wrote:

> I'll have to dig out a magnifying glass when I get home.

Do that.

Everytime I think I have a fubar pixel, it turns
out to be debris on the screen surface.